Review Good/Bad vs Gold Coast, Rd 3 2021

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
I didn't mind BT when he worked at Fox Footy but once he went to Channel 7 it went to his head and he rubs me the wrong way and tries way too hard. Then he spruiked Lever to prospective clubs all year to help him move to another club at an inflated price. He should have been sanctioned or sacked for this. He also rarely has a good word to say about the crows and comes across as a false grandstander.

I don't mind Brayshaw. Is one of the better commentators at just sticking to the game and wasn't bad on the footy show. Seems fair in his commentary without scoring points throughout the coverage which BT does consistently.
BT is half alright because he provides something different but he just becomes annoying too often.

Bruce used to be the best.. probably one of the greatest and most knowledgable commentators in the history of sport but in recent years he’s lost the plot.. should have retired five years ago.. and that s**t with Dusty at the 2017 Brownlow was just *in creepy..

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
BT is half alright because he provides something different but he just becomes annoying too often.

Bruce used to be the best.. probably one of the greatest and most knowledgable commentators in the history of sport but in recent years he’s lost the plot.. should have retired five years ago.. and that sh*t with Dusty at the 2017 Brownlow was just fu**in creepy..
Knowledgable, yes... but completely unlistenable due to his constant fapping over his favourite players.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Commentators become a parody of themselves over time

Dwayne Russell and Brian Taylor started off great but then fell in love with their quirks. Their commentary became forced rather than natural. Both unbearable now imho

Even Bruce by the end was like this, though at least we got years and years of gold first

Brereton teases with moments of insight but buries these quality tidbits with lengthy blather where he is clearly in awe of himself and considers us patrons blessed by the opportunity to listen in

Denis Cometti was that rare beast whose individuality didn't become grating over time. He retained that perfect balance of analysis and dashes of fun. Also understood that the football was the star of the show. Many commentators don't.

Nick Reiwoldt has been good. Warren Tredrea should find a TV role somewhere. Nick Dal Santo ok. Adam Lapaglia good. David Wildy good but minimal profile even in SA. Different sport but Theo Doropoulos is gold on the microphone - should commentate. Wayne Carey is excellent.

A few like Richo and JB would be ok in different company I think. They get embroiled into crap blokey banter too easily. BT and co drag them down, a bit like how Michael Slater ruins any co-commentator he comes into contact with.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
A few like Richo and JB would be ok in different company I think. They get embroiled into crap blokey banter too easily. BT and co drag them down, a bit like how Michael Slater ruins any co-commentator he comes into contact with.
I think of Slater as a puppy dog - incredibly enthusiastic, but keeps slobbering over everything and leaving a mess wherever he goes.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

Dwayne Russell and Brian Taylor started off great but then fell in love with their quirks. Their commentary became forced rather than natural. Both unbearable now imho

Even Bruce by the end was like this, though at least we got years and years of gold first

Brereton teases with moments of insight but buries these quality titbits with lengthy blather where he is clearly in awe of himself and considers us patrons blessed by the opportunity to listen in

Denis Cometti was that rare beast whose individuality didn't become grating over time. He retained that perfect balance of analysis and dashes of fun. Also understood that the football was the star of the show. Many commentators don't.

Nick Reiwoldt has been good. Warren Tredrea should find a TV role somewhere. Nick Dal Santo ok. Adam Lapaglia good. David Wildy good but minimal profile even in SA. Different sport but Theo Doropoulos is gold on the microphone - should commentate. Wayne Carey is excellent.

And the absolute worst ex footballer in the media....Adam Cooney, he's a deadset dullard.

WeeBlake

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide

Brereton teases with moments of insight but buries these quality titbits with lengthy blather where he is clearly in awe of himself and considers us patrons blessed by the opportunity to listen in

The absolute, streets-ahead worst, is Mark McClure. He pre- and post- game analysis is literally just reading both team sheets from backs to forwards. His in-game analysis is pretending that whatever just happenned was obvious and inevitable to people (like him) who truly understand the game.
In Vic he is on abc radio every Saturday arvo and it’s a nightmare. It is truly amazing he’s still got a job after so long.

Very astute observations.

Cant stand Brereton for what you pointed out, he is in awe of himself from an era that most of the viewing AFL public do not know, nor do they care.

Riewoldt and Carey are good, enjoyable and genuinely know and understand the game and translate that well in their commentary.

I think Bruce was tapped, rather than retired. I think his time had come and certainly was right up there with the greatest at his peak, which unfortunately again was from another era. Probably the AFL equivalent of Ritchie Benaud, at his best, given he was involved in Talking Footy, Brownlow and AFL matches.

Cometti was the elite Gold Standard in which to measure and compare all commentators with.

Concussion test

Adelaide Football Club. Established 1860
May 19, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Dennis Cometti easily for me over pre "Cyrrrrriillll" Bruce.

As an added bonus he'd casually throw in a little humour for free.
Loved this exchange with the dour Gerard Healy while waiting for a shot on goal (circa 2007 Melbourne v Collingwood):

Healy: "Word is this guy is the most reliable kick for goal in the side. They say down at Collingwood if you had to have someone kicking for your life, Tarkyn Lockyer would be the man ..."
Cometti: "I'd prefer my mum."
(Pause.....)
Cometti: "Not a great footballer, but at least she'd care ..."

beartoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
I can't stand any AFL commentators. I switch off sound when watching. Part of the problem for me is that they no longer call the game. Boring anecdotes of the commentator's role in the 1984 GF, sounding more like they are coaching both sides than calling the game, slobbering over 'stars', bias--there's a few of the things I dislike.

Very astute observations.

Cant stand Brereton for what you pointed out, he is in awe of himself from an era that most of the viewing AFL public do not know, nor do they care.

Riewoldt and Carey are good, enjoyable and genuinely know and understand the game and translate that well in their commentary.

I think Bruce was tapped, rather than retired. I think his time had come and certainly was right up there with the greatest at his peak, which unfortunately again was from another era. Probably the AFL equivalent of Ritchie Benaud, at his best, given he was involved in Talking Footy, Brownlow and AFL matches.

Cometti was the elite Gold Standard in which to measure and compare all commentators with.
Of the current crop, I rate Brenton Speed.

Doesn’t try to be anything he isn’t, just does his job with a minimum of fuss

Back