Review Good/Bad vs Hawthorn - Rd 19

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agree re Fog and it looked like that to the eye , he pressure and harassed and stayed in the game , I’ve been a critic but I can see a career now

and to anyone who doesn’t rate pressure act stats , well I don’t know what to say .Doesn’t tell the whole story but it’s very important to successful teams

Nearly 40 years ago David Parkin was obsessed with things that we now call pressure acts.

Deflections, bumps, shepherds etc

He used to say if his teams got a 100 if these in a game, they always won

UcantCme

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
ROB got 4 coaches votes which foes against the claims of WaynesWprld who claimed ROB was toweled up by a rookie ruckman

I thought ROB was good around the grounds especially his contested marking, and at least broke even in the hit outs contest

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Faaarrk

Maybe later
Jul 27, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nearly 40 years ago David Parkin was obsessed with things that we now call pressure acts.

Deflections, bumps, shepherds etc

He used to say if his teams got a 100 if these in a game, they always won
And yet it was one of the first things taught to us as kids.
It's what's so annoying when a lot of our players don't do them.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not buying it. An injury doesn't make you scared, and he is flat out scared.
He's well and truly cooked and running on empty.

This makes his puny frame even more weak and he's getting destroyed in 1 on 1 contests worse than Rowe.

This has made him fear the contest.

Everyone could see this 4 or 5 weeks ago and it was bad coaching to actually bring him back.

Needs a long rest and needs to build power and strength.

Needs to also learn to run smarter so he can use his weapon to full effect, his kicking.

Running himself into the ground has ruined everything.

Agree re Fog and it looked like that to the eye , he pressure and harassed and stayed in the game , I’ve been a critic but I can see a career now

and to anyone who doesn’t rate pressure act stats , well I don’t know what to say .Doesn’t tell the whole story but it’s very important to successful teams

As another vocal critic, that certainly was a "stop it, my career is not dead yet." game.

I was really happy that he also got a few (might have been 4-5) disposals up the ground as well. If Fog can find a way to reliably end up impacting between the arcs, he has a career. Finds a way to continuously pressure and harass, and it becomes an even more rosy picture for Fog.

He's well and truly cooked and running on empty.

This makes his puny frame even more weak and he's getting destroyed in 1 on 1 contests worse than Rowe.

This has made him fear the contest.

Everyone could see this 4 or 5 weeks ago and it was bad coaching to actually bring him back.

Needs a long rest and needs to build power and strength.

Needs to also learn to run smarter so he can use his weapon to full effect, his kicking.

Running himself into the ground has ruined everything.

Ed Langdon has made a career out of being a 16 km per game runner, and it seems like Sholl can develop that tank. So may as well make Sholl that km eater. Gives an extra point of difference as a winger. Still, the Brisbane game showed the "fear the contest" line is just bullshit (got 12 ground ball gets), so it's more likely that being cooked has brought back bad habits with Sholl being too outside.

Just needs a year or two in the gym and he'll be alright, but it has ruined him this season. Fair enough too, it took Langdon a long while to build that tank.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
As another vocal critic, that certainly was a "stop it, my career is not dead yet." game.

I was really happy that he also got a few (might have been 4-5) disposals up the ground as well. If Fog can find a way to reliably end up impacting between the arcs, he has a career. Finds a way to continuously pressure and harass, and it becomes an even more rosy picture for Fog.

Ed Langdon has made a career out of being a 16 km per game runner, and it seems like Sholl can develop that tank. So may as well make Sholl that km eater. Gives an extra point of difference as a winger. Still, the Brisbane game showed the "fear the contest" line is just bullshit (got 12 ground ball gets), so it's more likely that being cooked has brought back bad habits with Sholl being too outside.

Just needs a year or two in the gym and he'll be alright, but it has ruined him this season. Fair enough too, it took Langdon a long while to build that tank.
The running should only be a tool to enable him to use his real weapon, his kicking.

It should never be treated as his weapon.

Sure keep up the aerobic capacity but don't run aimlessly as if that's what you are put in the footy field for. Be smarter about how and when you run. That way when you are presented the right scenario you know you get to the contest and have the reserves to be damaging by foot.

And he may not be scared, but he definitely looks intimidated out there. Needs to be rested for rest of year, he's just getting beat up against the better teams.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
The running should only be a tool to enable him to use his real weapon, his kicking.

Sure keep up the aerobic capacity but don't run aimlessly as if that's what you are put in the footy field for. Be smarter about how and when you run. That way when you are presented the right scenario you know you get to the contest and have the reserves to be damaging by foot.

And he may not be scared, but he definitely looks intimidated out there. Needs to be rested for rest of year, he's just getting beat up against the better teams.

Have a look at the replay of the first game this year: he was great. He was running into space providing a target. This was running with a purpose. He is nowhere near what he was now.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
And yet it was one of the first things taught to us as kids.
It's what's so annoying when a lot of our players don't do them.

I reckon it was drilled out of the club by Neil Craig, effort to shepherd is wasted, tackling is overrated, corralling takes less energy. We ceased being a club that valued football players and the diwn and dirty of the game. Be squeaky clean, do t get near the line for fear of crossing it.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon it was drilled out of the club by Neil Craig, effort to shepherd is wasted, tackling is overrated, corralling takes less energy. We ceased being a club that valued football players and the diwn and dirty of the game. Be squeaky clean, do t get near the line for fear of crossing it.

Not sure I follow, if only there was a DVD to explain! 🤣🤣🤣

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Our wingmen run patterns and very long distances, they often beat the mids back into the D50. It goes back to the Brett Burton aerobic beast wingman days where they push forward hard but even harder when pushing back.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

Yeah, Sholl just looks like he's running in molasses at the moment. I think it's reasonable to just give him a couple of games in the twos to round out the year and then let him go into offseason recovery.

Back