Review Good/Bad vs Hawthorn - Rd 19

Remove this Banner Ad

I am over the moon that Jordon Butts will make it at AFL level.

We selected this guy after we re-rookied Paul Hunter in the 3rd round of the rookie draft. Great story

We're very good at developing rookie list/late picks. It's the whole "first round pick" thing that we're not so good at.

Disgusting how he's being treated with Plodder Sloane in the midfield.

I don’t think I’ve ever been more ashamed of Crows supporters than some of these comments popping up in this thread. Fair weather supporters, I tell ya.

Sloane ended up with a black eye AND - scratched eyeball in the other. I know a lot of people look at his stats and have a whinge, but he had TWENTY NINE pressure acts tonight, equal second on the field. He’s a brilliant inside contested beats and he gets mashed up every time he goes in there, and he gets back up and goes again.

5 score involvements, 5 clearances, 5 tackles… what more do you want?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Disgusting how he's being treated with Plodder Sloane in the midfield.

Sloane should be embarrassed. Total joke that he lines up as a starting mid. Nicks refusing to drop him or change his role is why there should be no faith in this 'rebuild'. Schoey is twice the mid thst Sloane is right now yet gets 1/4 of the minutes in there.

I don’t think I’ve ever been more ashamed of Crows supporters than some of these comments popping up in this thread. Fair weather supporters, I tell ya.

Sloane ended up with a black eye AND - scratched eyeball in the other. I know a lot of people look at his stats and have a whinge, but he had TWENTY NINE pressure acts tonight, equal second on the field. He’s a brilliant inside contested beats and he gets mashed up every time he goes in there, and he gets back up and goes again.

More than 15 disposals from a prime midfielder would be nice

But genuine question, why does anyone here wants Roberts with Pick 3-4? He's a slow inside mid? Basically Matt Crouch but seems slower and a bigger build. That would be a disaster with pick 3/4.
Absolute rubbish and that's putting it mildly, pretty bloody obvious you haven't watched too much if any of Matt Roberts, he's not slow, has an elite penetrating left foot and is a goal kicking mid.

More than 15 disposals from a starting midfielder and our Captain.

And more than 0 centre bounce attendances from our future midfielder in a rebuilding side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he'd be more of a chb back but he's done some great work at fb, Murray tracking to be his partner in crime for the next 10 years.
I'd be over the moon if those two fully develop into the players they threaten to be

Butts as the dependable stopper, great 1v1 work etc
Murray the athletic, competitive, great overhead complimentary key defender

And obviously Doedee as the 3rd interceptor

Bickley post game. "The next few weeks might be a real chance to rest some of the kids against the better sides to freshen them up for the last couple".

Explain that logic.
The logic is if you win the last two on the trot, that gives you energy going in to the offseason. Those two plus the wins we've already got would put this season in the bank as a decent one too (considering inexperience).

I want a good draft pick.

But I want to see improvement from our young players more. Tonight we saw that.

I know it's just Hawthorn, but that was satisfying.
This is pretty much my feeling. I was hoping to lose tbh especially in the last when we'd already played well. But yeah we won tonight on the back of some good ball movement and key young players stepping up (as well as a few oldies).

Good:

While I was always wanting to lose, I never want the group to not want to win. They obviously didn't. Good pressure and attacking ball movement. Good forward entries for once. Thought hawks were pretty strong around the ball but I don't think we lost that battle (not sure what the stats say).

Laird was key. Cops a lot of unwarranted s**t from people around here, but he's a gun in and under clearance player of the afl. Obviously we need more polish to go with him, but let's not take away from the player he is.

Hamill fantastic I thought. Rarely made a mistake all night offensively and defensively. Going to be an excellent player imo.

Schoenberg once again. Had two kicks going forward where I think he had the right idea to kick to space, just didn't get the execution right. Other than that he was smart and clean. Like Hamill, he's going to be excellent going forward (already is imo).

I honestly can't believe how Jones had turned it around. I've been one of his defenders but even I was thinking he was mentally shot and unlikely to come back. Quality game.

McPherson is another who has found some great form after a serious slump. Such a sound player.

McHenry responded well after some poor games. 2018 first round was looking like a real disaster for us for a while there but we may escape with at least a pass in the long run.

Doedee excellent. Easy captain choice.

Thought fog importantly had some great touches in the final quarter to go with his strong early game. Should have had a couple more marks i50 imo that weren't paid and a couple more goals.

Himmelberg some classic wtf moments but imo showed some of that late 2020 form. Struggled more in the 2nd half. Needs to get stronger still, but I maintain there's a player there still.

Walker not much more to be said. Still got it. Think him playing next year will be tricky with fog and Thilthorpe trying to cement a spot. Hard not to play him when if he's in this year's form though.

Frampton had a couple of poor efforts but I actually think the trial went well. Worth giving another go and could at least be a handy depth player there.

Smith return to form. Seed pretty good again.

Bad :

Not much really. Probably one of Butts worst game, although he's built up enough credits in an extremely tough role.

Sholl looks cooked tbh. Second efforts just aren't there for someone so fit. His decision making has gone backwards as well. Think he'll be fine in the long run, but think we can put in the cupboard for 2021.

Kelly isn't terrible, but I just don't want him playing for us.

The personal and character attacks on Sloane here are really beyond the pale.

Plenty of room to critique him on merit or to suggest he's being misused, but the opprobrium being directed at his character is both shameful and indicative of genuine mouth breathing
No one's knocking Sloane, they're knocking the coaches positioning of him in relation to our rebuilding side.

It may come across that way, but I can guarantee you that not one person on this forum would ever question Rory's heart or endeavour.

He's a liability, deal with it. 14 touches from 80% TOG as a first choice mid. Need much more than the stats you just lauded. 5 clearances from the amount of stoppages he attends is awful. AFL site has him 11th for score involvements and his disposal efficiency was 55%. I'm ashamed of supporters like you that crucify kids for performances that you laud from guys like Sloane. You're as embarrassing as his output is.

Good win, more complete game from a bunch of players
- Ned hitting up short passes was a delight compared to hitting our long I50 bombs to no one.
- Chayce is our most reliable kick out of D50.
- Straight kicking for goal
- Scoring 100 for the first time in ages
- Mids hitting the scoreboard (Keays and Laird kicking goals)

Takes some pressure away from the club which is good.

Worst part of the game was our lack of tackling ability. Those missed tackles were shocking and opens up the game for the opponent.

But genuine question, why does anyone here wants Roberts with Pick 3-4? He's a slow inside mid? Basically Matt Crouch but seems slower and a bigger build. That would be a disaster with pick 3/4.
They're probably thinking of Matt Roberts from South, not whoever you're thinking of

Absolute rubbish and that's putting it mildly, pretty bloody obvious you haven't watched too much if any of Matt Roberts, he's not slow, has an elite penetrating left foot and is a goal kicking mid.
Agree, but do you think we are even a chance to get him now, though? Even with his injury, I’ve had some pretty good mail that the Hawks are all over him.

Ugly/bad
I still find umpiring baffling. Even the players are unsure, one free kick tonight 5 players thought it was there's.
Yep, several HTB calls (or not called) had me utterly confused. Ditto, throws.
If a player is bumped off the ball in the act of kicking it, as opposed to tackled, is that HTB? (serious question)

Himmelberg presents a fascinating conundrum. He really looks a solid footballer when he's confident

He's not a shade in Thilthorpe and there's no obvious way to play both of them.
I think Himmelberg played better because he wasn't worried about Frampton taking his spot.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back