Review Good/Bad vs Hawthorn - Rd 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Moving forward I feel it's potentially a very damaging win.
If allows the justification of Laird, Sloane, Keays in the midfiled.
Allows Mackay to still be squeeze in.
Everyone can say we are a young team and on track and forget woefulness of past weeks.

Harridan and Froat as KPD plus DGB a 4 gamer.
Seriously what can truly be taken from hat.
A 4 game ruckman.
2 key forwards who are extremely inexperienced.
How ones Billy go a Hawkins or Cameron?

Berry left high and dry when he could have had 5 minutes every quarter in the midfield.

Everyone walks a way with a good feeling just long enough before reality sets back in next week when our midfield set up gets smashed.

Technically potential pick 3 could be goes outside the top 5 which is annoying.
But it's the next 2 picks that could have been at the beginning of the round moving back that annoys me the most.

Short term pain for long term gain. Instead we saw more of the same of the past 20 years.
It's two of the worst teams in the competition playing one another, I think most footy pundits can see that.

You'd be silly to draw any real conclusions from it.

All the same question marks still apply.

But, you gotta start somewhere and it's probably easier to take risk against these weaker sides than the more powerful ones.

Next week will tell us everything we need to know, about the coaches and the players.

I'm glad we've got the WB next week.

Himmelberg presents a fascinating conundrum. He really looks a solid footballer when he's confident

He's not a shade in Thilthorpe and there's no obvious way to play both of them.
Are you suggesting trade bait.

Jake Kelly playing for Collingwood next year

I’m glad the 22 won.
I slept through it so was reasonably surprised.
The biggest take you get when you wake up midnight is negative press.
Crows just lost Horne.
It wasn’t about 12 players under 50 games or Shoenberg deserving a rookie nom.
If the media line is negative then although the club is doing positive things it would be Hard to telegraph that.
As what was so by Phelan at midnight last night.

Advertiser had positive story on Schoenberg being Horne enough.

Um...better let every athlete in the world know that training for technique, strength and conditioning is a waste of their time then.
I feel better for not doing any now

Ugly

that the pronunciation of a simple word ‘defence’ has been bastardised by AFL footballers and coaches who watch way too much American sport.

it is simply ‘defence’ NOT FKING ‘DEEEEEFENCE’ …looking at you Nicksy!!

thank you. That is all.

There is also no AFL position as winger or quarterback, two others which has crept in that absolutely s*** me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel better for not doing any now
Well this is interesting but at the same time, do you root for a compromised team in a comprised village in a compromised city etc. These sporting exploits are also athletes being exploited. And paid nothing.

I was really hoping we wouldn't win, but of course once the game started I couldn't help but wants us to get over the line.

There were some really pleasing aspects of the game:

Fog started well, but then kept himself involved. It was the type of game we have been waiting for and should be the benchmark moving forwards. If he does this, some of the 'good start' games will become dominant games. If our mids can keep lowering their eyes and hitting him up on the lead, he will become a potent forward.

Ned started awfully, but then got better and better. He still gives away too many frees, but experience will stop that. He showed a bit more in this game with his composure with ball in hand which was great.

Schoenberg has developed beautifully. His speed, balance and kicking are all weapons. Love that he plays angry as well. Going to be special.

Himmelberg was pretty good. He's still too slow, but he competed well and took marks. Not sure what we will do with Thilthorpe this week now.

McPherson had his 2nd excellent game in a row. Has a laser kick inside 50 which is nice.

Jones is looking great. Such a difference from 3 months ago. He is now showing his attributes - fast, fearless, determined. Is taking one on one marks. Kicking has been excellent. Good decision making etc... Give him some more time and he is going to be a difference maker in the middle.

Walker. Still elite.

Frampton did ok. Still looks a bit lazy at times and seem to jog a bit aimlessly, but his one on one work was good. I'd be leaving him there from now on. If he can learn a few more tricks, he could be a pretty handy defender.

ROB was better. Starting to take marks around the ground which is good. Would be nice if he could start next season like this.

Isn't it funny how elite Doedee is when you let him use his most elite attribute??

Laird was exceptional.

There was also some not so pleasing:

Poor Sloane is still giving everything he has as usual, but his body is just wrecked. I really want him to retire - just for his own future.

I'm really worried about Sholl. In the Port game I mentioned that I had never seen someone look so scared on the field, and now he makes Atkins look like Gary McIntosh. Sholl is avoiding getting within 15 m of every body on the field and looks panicked when he does have the ball. Needs to build confidence again.

I was really hoping we wouldn't win, but of course once the game started I couldn't help but wants us to get over the line.

Fog started well, but then kept himself involved. It was the type of game we have been waiting for and should be the benchmark moving forwards. If he does this, some of the 'good start' games will become dominant games. If our mids can keep lowering their eyes and hitting him up on the lead, he will become a potent forward.

Ned started awfully, but then got better and better. He still gives away too many frees, but experience will stop that. He showed a bit more in this game with his composure with ball in hand which was great.

Schoenberg has developed beautifully. His speed, balance and kicking are all weapons. Love that he plays angry as well. Going to be special.

Himmelberg was pretty good. He's still too slow, but he competed well and took marks. Not sure what we will do with Thilthorpe this week now.

McPherson had his 2nd excellent game in a row. Has a laser kick inside 50 which is nice.

Jones is looking great. Such a difference from 3 months ago. He is now showing his attributes - fast, fearless, determined. Is taking one on one marks. Kicking has been excellent. Good decision making etc... Give him some more time and he is going to be a difference maker in the middle.

Walker. Still elite.

Frampton did ok. Still looks a bit lazy at times and seem to jog a bit aimlessly, but his one on one work was good. I'd be leaving him there from now on. If he can learn a few more tricks, he could be a pretty handy defender.

ROB was better. Starting to take marks around the ground which is good. Would be nice if he could start next season like this.

Isn't it funny how elite Doedee is when you let him use his most elite attribute??

Laird was exceptional.

Poor Sloane is still giving everything he has as usual, but his body is just wrecked. I really want him to retire - just for his own future.

I'm really worried about Sholl. In the Port game I mentioned that I had never seen someone look so scared on the field, and now he makes Atkins look like Gary McIntosh. Sholl is avoiding getting within 15 m of every body on the field and looks panicked when he does have the ball. Needs to build confidence again.
Im not to concerned about Ned giving away couple of frees, we want him to play an unsociable brand of footy

The great hawthorn sides under Clarko played thst style of unsociable footy and by doing so lived with the fact that they may give away thr occasional free for playing close to the line

We want Ned to play on the edge, even if he gives away a free or two, asking him to pull that in could take away his aggressiveness

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Im not to concerned about Ned giving away couple of frees, we want him to play an unsociable brand of footy

The great hawthorn sides under Clarko played thst style of unsociable footy and by doing so lived with the fact that they may give away thr occasional free for playing close to the line

We want Ned to play on the edge, even if he gives away a free or two, asking him to pull that in could take away his aggressiveness

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The point of niggling is to get underneath your opponents skin enough to make them do something rash. At this point in time, Ned is the one doing something dumb and giving away the frees. I like his energy but I wish he'd learn to play a little smarter.

Also Clarko's guys were a protected species. We're never going to get treated like that.

Um...better let every athlete in the world know that training for technique, strength and conditioning is a waste of their time then.
There is some scope for improvement but genetics does set some limits of what you can do. I'd wager a lot of athletes have genetic traits that give them a high ceiling. I don't see much scope for athletic improvement in Jimmy Rowe. We can improve his endurance, maybe put a bit of muscle on him but he'll always be slow and that is not an ideal trait in any AFL footballer these days, especially a small forward.

Walker. Still elite.

Laird was exceptional.

Sholl must be carrying an injury

There is also no AFL position as winger or quarterback, two others which has crept in that absolutely s*** me.
Sorry to correct but wing or winger or wingman is absolutely a position in the modern game just as it was back in the old days. I can promise you for a fact that SANFL development coaches are identifying and coaching wings in their rotations.

Yep - the grand old days of Light, Hately, Gallagher, Rosser, McFarlane - are here again!

Moving forward I feel it's potentially a very damaging win.
If allows the justification of Laird, Sloane, Keays in the midfiled.
Allows Mackay to still be squeeze in.
Everyone can say we are a young team and on track and forget woefulness of past weeks.

Harridan and Froat as KPD plus DGB a 4 gamer.
Seriously what can truly be taken from hat.
A 4 game ruckman.
2 key forwards who are extremely inexperienced.
How ones Billy go a Hawkins or Cameron?

Berry left high and dry when he could have had 5 minutes every quarter in the midfield.

Everyone walks a way with a good feeling just long enough before reality sets back in next week when our midfield set up gets smashed.

Technically potential pick 3 could be goes outside the top 5 which is annoying.
But it's the next 2 picks that could have been at the beginning of the round moving back that annoys me the most.

Short term pain for long term gain. Instead we saw more of the same of the past 20 years.

Whilst I wouldn't have cared if we lost and would ideally like to get Pick 1, this is overly negative - we likely will not win a game for the rest of the season and end up in the bottom 3 anyway.

You cannot realistically expect to tell players to go out and lose games on purpose.

Sorry to correct but wing or winger or wingman is absolutely a position in the modern game just as it was back in the old days. I can promise you for a fact that SANFL development coaches are identifying and coaching wings in their rotations.

Yep - the grand old days of Light, Hately, Gallagher, Rosser, McFarlane - are here again!
Wingman have always been around. I still dont know wtf a quarterback is in the context of aussie rules though. Like most new footy terminology, its probably just some bullshit a commentator sharted out. I bet it was that shithead Dwayne Russell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back