Review Good/Bad vs Hawthorn - Rd 19

Remove this Banner Ad

DaKids

All Australian
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wingman have always been around. I still dont know wtf a quarterback is in the context of aussie rules though. Like most new footy terminology, its probably just some bullshit a commentator sharted out. I bet it was that sh*thead Dwayne Russell.
Haha - yep, I reckon I can safely inform that there are no development squad coaches out there looking for their next quarterback!!!

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Every time I see Harry play, it just strikes me how much time and space he has. His natural instinct is to take an extra moment to make the right decision. Just the micro-pauses you notice in his game, it's beautiful to watch
I found an example of the micro-pauses you mentioned @3.10 in the highlights package.
Schoenberg is on the end of a Hail-Mary handball, wheels around and
LOOKS (micro-pause)
before kicking, nailing McHenry on the lead.
Beautiful.

Last edited:

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wingman have always been around. I still dont know wtf a quarterback is in the context of aussie rules though. Like most new footy terminology, its probably just some bullshit a commentator sharted out. I bet it was that sh*thead Dwayne Russell.
I suppose someone like an attacking HBF could be viewed as a QB - someone who receives the ball and can set up attacks either by elusive running up the ground, precise passing to advantage of a player upfield, or a long, accurate bomb to a forward. Something Smithers has done for us in recent seasons - maybe Macca back in the day?

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Look out a Grammer king. Sorry it affected your night sir.

3730E091-F292-4B11-AFAD-7F9A244CD592.jpeg

Godallblighty

Premiership Player
May 17, 2010
Hanging Rock
AFL Club
Adelaide
There is some scope for improvement but genetics does set some limits of what you can do. I'd wager a lot of athletes have genetic traits that give them a high ceiling. I don't see much scope for athletic improvement in Jimmy Rowe. We can improve his endurance, maybe put a bit of muscle on him but he'll always be slow and that is not an ideal trait in any AFL footballer these days, especially a small forward.
You don't see much scope for improvement? He's got the least developed physique in the team. The suggestion wasn't whether he had the genes to be Usain Bolt, it was whether he could get any quicker...which he objectively can. No, that's not going to make him a speedster but it will make him better. Will that be enough? Maybe not. But there's no way he's as physically fit and fast right now as he could be.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think the original poster was bemoaning the change in language from wingman to winger, not that we don't play blokes on the wing any more. Quarterback came in similar to how every time Lynch gets the ball and delivers they refer to him as a connector. It was when a guy like Hodge would be given get the ball behind every other player and he'd hold and assess rather than just run or immediately dish off. And it was a deliberate strategy, destroyed us once at AO doing it all day.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not buying it. An injury doesn't make you scared, and he is flat out scared.

Hes not scared of getting hurt. Hes scared of making a mistake. His confidence is gone. He will get it back. But there is no point playing him now while his confidence is this low.

Physically he and Hamill were extra small builds to begin with. They probably take an extra pre-season. I reckon the gym will fix up the Atkins comparisons (although he will always be an outside player which is what we want from him anyway).

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bad for our draft position - games against teams around the same spot as us are the ones we really should be losing. But from a short term, instant gratification point of view it was nice to get a win after a few shockers.

Jones, McPherson, Schoenberg, possibly McHenry had their best games to date. Fog great start then faded, as he tends to do. Probably the game we've seen from Frampton, too, although that's a low bar to get over and I doubt he has a long term future, but he at least looked better down back than he has up forward. It may also be that our entire team looks better when we have two genuine talls down there (ie Butts and Murray / Frampton), rather than just Butts and trying to play Doedee as a KPD which has usually let to ordinary results.

Speaking of Doedee, thought he was excellent, too. And similar to above, he looks a vastly better player when we have 2 proper tall defenders to free him up to not have to play on the big gorillas.

On the downside - what the hell is going on with Berry? Hardly sighted him. He seems to have been parked in some deep, dark corner of our forward line where nobody ever goes. Like Milton in Office Space when he got shifted down to the basement. If we're not careful, Berry will set fire to the building. Surely he has to be playing in the midfield? He started the year so well but has faded right out of it, not sure if it's fitness preventing him from getting in there and he just needs another preseason or what. There's almost no value playing him at all at the moment, apart from the fact that there's no SANFL while we're in lockdown meaning that there's no other way for him to get a game of footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
You don't see much scope for improvement? He's got the least developed physique in the team. The suggestion wasn't whether he had the genes to be Usain Bolt, it was whether he could get any quicker...which he objectively can. No, that's not going to make him a speedster but it will make him better. Will that be enough? Maybe not. But there's no way he's as physically fit and fast right now as he could be.
Parnell is obviously the least physically developed player on our list. Cook had a shoulder injury in the pre-season and couldn't get into the weights room until later, Gollant was starting from way back because he was so skinny. Rowe had two years in the SANFL where, to his credit, he was busting his gut to make it on to an AFL list. I think he'll come out of next years program more or less the same player he is right now, with slightly more endurance certainly, but if you want to hold out hope that he'll be transformed into a faster player, I think you're going to end up disappointed.

Whilst I wouldn't have cared if we lost and would ideally like to get Pick 1, this is overly negative - we likely will not win a game for the rest of the season and end up in the bottom 3 anyway.

You cannot realistically expect to tell players to go out and lose games on purpose.

Especially with a ruling body who punishes teams for tanking.

Ripcity

Debutant
May 31, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
Absolutely loved the passage with Schoenberg on O'Meara in the 1st. Back to back stoppages where O'Meara works hard to lose him but he sticks to him like glue and wraps him up in 2 strong tackles. Then the presence of mind to toe the ball forward and get it going our way, Smith opportunistically from 65 bang.

Harry, when he's switched on defensively, is some player.

Might need to investigate Clarkson for tanking since he spent 4 quarters watching Laird tear 'em up and didn't do much to stop it.

Probably not. It's not the first time Clarkson has backed his system to beat someone, thinking back to when Dangerfield got 5 against the Hawks and Clarko didn't do anything about it.

We absolutely scraped through with a win against a side that had no intention of winning.

I completely disagree. It's clearly evident they had the intention of winning and we were dealing with two very even (and very poor quality) teams playing each other. This is not a case of the Hawks are a mid-table team who have packed it up for a year. After all, we were out tackled 49 to 66, and we out pressured them 345 to 280. It's very even in that regard (seeing successful tackles are not included in pressure stats, and close to successful tackles have a really high weighting in that number calculation by memory).

Had the Hawks came out with a phoned-in performance, we win that game by 10+ goals. Ultimately, it was a good, organised, and professional win away from home with a group that badly needed a win.

Last edited:
May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I completely disagree. It's clearly evident they had the intention of winning and we were dealing with two very even (and very poor quality) teams playing each other. This is not a case of the Hawks are a mid-table team who have packed it up for a year. After all, we were out tackled 49 to 66, and we out pressured them 345 to 280. It's very even in that regard (seeing successful tackles are not included in pressure stats, and close to successful tackles have a really high weighting in that number calculation by memory).

Had the Hawks came out with a phoned-in performance, we win that game by 10+ goals. Ultimately, it was a good, organised, and professional win away from home with a group that badly needed a win.
Those tackle and pressure stats surprise me because they did appear to be playing bruise free footy, at least compared to previous weeks. I thought it was a soft effort from their midfield on first viewing.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Sorry to correct but wing or winger or wingman is absolutely a position in the modern game just as it was back in the old days. I can promise you for a fact that SANFL development coaches are identifying and coaching wings in their rotations.

Yep - the grand old days of Light, Hately, Gallagher, Rosser, McFarlane - are here again!
Ron Hateley :heart:

How could you forget Bryan Ploenges' dazzling speed on the wing? ;)

A lot on here wouldn't know who these players were....certified guns.

Last edited:
Those tackle and pressure stats surprise me because they did appear to be playing bruise free footy, at least compared to previous weeks. I thought it was a soft effort from their midfield on first viewing.

Dare I say it's a very Adelaide like split, where it's too much left to too few defensively. Mitchell and O'Meara did a lot of work, with both being >=8 tackles, and >= 27 PA, and Worpel/Cousins/Wingard/Howe also contributed with a >=4 tackle and >= 14 PA game. That said players who probably should be contributing like Bramble, Phillips, McEvoy, Shiel weren't impacting defensively, with all <= 3 tackles, 10 PA. Certainly, there was a contingent of Hawks keen on bruise-free footy.

Compared to Adelaide where it's a lot more even all-round, with 11 players (Schoenberg, Sloane, Laird, Berry, Hamill, Keays, Seedsman, O'Brien, Sholl, Kelly, Smith) over 15 PA. Though of course, the tackle numbers aren't as consistent with Adelaide, with two of them in O'Brien and Kelly not troubling the scorers in that regard, and Sholl, Smith and Seedsman only registering <= 2 tackles. Adelaide doesn't have that drop off either, with only defenders being below that 10 PA mark.*

*and yes, that does mean Fogarty was a monster on the defensive side of things. Well for a key forward, anyway, with a 2 tackle, 12 PA game. Which makes me very happy.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back