Review Good/Bad vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we could have beaten them by 3 or 4 goals, but didn't take crucial chances late.
The first and 4th quarters were dreadful --- so many unforced turnovers in the first, kicks to grateful Hawks, hospital handballs to static teammates about to get hammered. They looked cooked in the last, and even an honest, fit McKay might actually have made a difference in the last quarter. Taking an injured Lynch over there with the intention of not using him was ridiculous --- irresponsible and amateurish.
Very big learning experience for the players and club. Hopefully the club uses the lessons in the right way to become better. They ****ed up well and truly with the sub. Just come clean and say yeah we messed up and take some ownership. How they can think that an injured player is better than a fit one is beyond belief. Could anyone ever see Blighty doing that? He didn't rate fit senior players. Tipped most of them out.

What I have noticed with the ump's is that they pay less contentious free kicks against you when the momentum is going your way. When you are down and the other team has momentum they double down and start pulling out contentious frees. They are definitely influenced by momentum in a game and clearly don't umpire on the situation in front of them. They influence far too many games.
Interesting point. I've never thought about momentum affecting Umps' decisions.
When I was around 18-21 I Umpired Basketball matches at that Stadium near the tram line at Goodwood (name, anyone?), but stopped after a couple years because of abuse from players/Coaches/supporters.
It's worse now and I wouldn't Umpire AFL for any money.
Like players and Coaches, Umps make mistakes even if some are real show ponies (yes, I mean you, Razor Ray). It's split-second timing and positioning and angles and being sighted or not. We often see a player who has clearly infringed by holding or chopping arms etc express outrage/confusion and stand the mark shaking their heads, inciting the supporters --- while the replays show clearly what they did. Umps can't win --- if they have a good game, I don't see players or Coaches giving them any positive feedback and if they have a bad game, they are howled at. It's a tough gig.

I know the Mackay in the back at the MCG free you are referring too.

Paul Roos commentating described it as one of the worst umpiring decisions he'd seen.

But we did beat Hawthorn, we didn't lose that day.

Was thinking of the wrong game! That being said, watched some of the Hawthorn game in 2016 that we lost by 3 points and reminded myself how it followed a similar script to many of our Hawthorn games.

Interesting point. I've never thought about momentum affecting Umps' decisions.
When I was around 18-21 I Umpired Basketball matches at that Stadium near the tram line at Goodwood (name, anyone?), but stopped after a couple years because of abuse from players/Coaches/supporters.
It's worse now and I wouldn't Umpire AFL for any money.
Like players and Coaches, Umps make mistakes even if some are real show ponies (yes, I mean you, Razor Ray). It's split-second timing and positioning and angles and being sighted or not. We often see a player who has clearly infringed by holding or chopping arms etc express outrage/confusion and stand the mark shaking their heads, inciting the supporters --- while the replays show clearly what they did. Umps can't win --- if they have a good game, I don't see players or Coaches giving them any positive feedback and if they have a bad game, they are howled at. It's a tough gig.
No doubt but it all seemed one way, in the second half, we didn’t get any iffy ones at all and Hawks got plenty. It seems to be like that all the time against the Hawks. In the end, this will help us get a better pick and help get a top player.

the Crows need to issue the umps a please explain and go through the footage and get an explanation of not only the ones paid but the ones unpaid against us. If we don’t say anything, it will never get better

I often wonder if AFC recruit a disproportionate share of dumb footballers.

the second the wind changed yesterday the Hawks adjusted their kicking game.

we just kept on bombing the ball, plying from behind and losing the marking contest as the ball continually fell short. Yet no adjustment came.

313505185fe0b87fdef25f387a517ec8

Nicks needs another one of these sessions with an electric fan blowing across the field

10 - Jaeger O’Meara (HAW)
7 - Ben Keays (ADEL)
6 - Jacob Koschitzke (HAW)
5 - Paul Seedsman (ADEL)
2 - Riley Thilthorpe (ADEL)

O'Meara 5,5
Keays 4,3
Koschitzke 4,2
Seedsman 3,2
Thilthorpe 1,1

No
Really good comprehensive post :thumbsu: . Just a coupla things:
1) McHenry is defined and criticised by acts like his too-long, unnecessary throwaround tackle on their L half-back yesterday. He got the bloke, caught him and should have been content with the oob and subsequent throw-in in our F50. Instead, he made a point of rag-dolling the bloke who got a free and they rebounded. I like his mongrel and hard-nut approach, but he's gotta temper it to the team's best advantage.
2) The big problem with Rob's kicking is that the game is called "football" and not "markball" :sneaky:. RoB's tall-mid second efforts are great, but you'd think one of our good kicks (eg Tex, or even Sholl) could help RoB out with his kicking. Ditto Keays, whose honest, hard-endeavour game would rise up to elite level if he trained to have a right-leg kick.
No point , have you seen how his feet are positioned when he walks and runs they point inwards and would partly be the reason he can’t kick for s—-t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McPherson is a player I like but reckon he needs a spell...is making mistakes and not unconditional in his attack on the ball at present.
Rowe is not up to AFL level and never will be - can’t be short and slow with little defensive pressure in that position.
McAdam looks lost at the moment - wonder if our three talls structure leaves him with too few opportunities...but he needs to hit up to high half forward so our dump kicks never go to McHenry or Murphy which seems to happen regularly.
Brown is offering very little - shadow of his former self at present...can he be reinvented somehow? Tagger?

I think Nick's was absolutely right when he said the side looked ratlled and basically we're weak mentally when the Hawks came in the second half.

This has been a problem for the crows for a very long time and continues to be.

There is only one group that can stem the tide when the opposition are gaining momentum, and that is the midfielders. They are only group on the ground that can realistically do it and we have weak minded midfielders who are just use to letting sides roll over the top of them.

The young players unfortunately learn from the old ones and this mentality passes from generation to generation. When the midfielders lose it becomes exponentially harder for the rest of the side.

It's our biggest problem.

We need guys that stand up, win the contest, and execute with impact when the chips are down. This can then set the tone for the rest of the side.

Peddler and Berry are so important for our future, however I feel we still need more class I'm that midfield.

10 - Jaeger O’Meara (HAW)
7 - Ben Keays (ADEL)
6 - Jacob Koschitzke (HAW)
5 - Paul Seedsman (ADEL)
2 - Riley Thilthorpe (ADEL)

O'Meara 5,5
Keays 4,3
Koschitzke 4,2
Seedsman 3,2
Thilthorpe 1,1

Hard to argue with any of those but Impey a bit unlucky not to jag one. He was an absolute pest in that last quarter.

McPherson is a player I like but reckon he needs a spell...is making mistakes and not unconditional in his attack on the ball at present.
Rowe is not up to AFL level and never will be - can’t be short and slow with little defensive pressure in that position.
McAdam looks lost at the moment - wonder if our three talls structure leaves him with too few opportunities...but he needs to hit up to high half forward so our dump kicks never go to McHenry or Murphy which seems to happen regularly.
Brown is offering very little - shadow of his former self at present...can he be reinvented somehow? Tagger?
Mcadam is not using one of his strengths and that is his speed. He needs to get in front and lead up. He also needs to get on his bike and create more pressure inside forward 50. He can do it as we have seen it. He has much more to his game than what he is currently showing

McPhersons mind isn’t in the right place.

in the 2nd quarter he went to ground at CHB and lay there for a few seconds whilst play went on around him. The hawks player picks up the ball and kicks it over where McPherson is laying and hits Breust on the chest who goals.

if McPherson springs back up he cuts that option off. It was bizarre. This was before his rib injury so no reason for him to just lie on the ground rather than getting up quickly and impacting the play.

cost us a goal.

I think Nick's was absolutely right when he said the side looked ratlled and basically we're weak mentally when the Hawks came in the second half.

This has been a problem for the crows for a very long time and continues to be.

There is only one group that can stem the tide when the opposition are gaining momentum, and that is the midfielders. They are only group on the ground that can realistically do it and we have weak minded midfielders who are just use to letting sides roll over the top of them.

The young players unfortunately learn from the old ones and this mentality passes from generation to generation. When the midfielders lose it becomes exponentially harder for the rest of the side.

It's our biggest problem.

We need guys that stand up, win the contest, and execute with impact when the chips are down. This can then set the tone for the rest of the side.

Peddler and Berry are so important for our future, however I feel we still need more class I'm that midfield.
Perhaps some kind of end of season camp will help with this.

Mcadam is not using one of his strengths and that is his speed. He needs to get in front and lead up. He also needs to get on his bike and create more pressure inside forward 50. He can do it as we have seen it. He has much more to his game than what he is currently showing
Is he injured? If he isn't I would tell him to pull his head in and he has one more opportunity to prove why we should keep playing him. Has become very comfortable especially with Stengle being sacked. I don't like his attitude lately. Spectacular marks are good but they are overrated especially if you can't kick the goal. He is picked in the team to do a multitude of tasks and ridiculous marking attempts is not one of them.

Last edited:

Feel like you are being insanely harsh on Rowe there to be honest, has played 6 games of AFL ffs and his stats are not too bad. I'd be persisting with him, but he does have to knuckle down now.

Is he injured? If he isn't I would tell him to pull his head in and he has one more opportunity to prove why we should keep playing him. Has become very comfortable especially with Stengle being sacked. I don't like his attitude lately. Spectacular marks are good but they are overrated especially if you can't kick the goal. He is picked in the team to do a multitude of tasks and ridiculous marking attempts is not one of them.
Yep and if they are playing him with an injury then its on the selectors as he should be rested. If he is not playing with an injury that would inhibit his game then they need to read the riot act to him to shake him out of his funk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back