Review Good/Bad vs Hawthorn - Rd 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Laird easily AA this year

Himmelberg showing his footy smarts today ....still has another gear to go too
Hamill probably his best game for the year ....but it's McPherson that's had an ordinary year and looked decidedly sluggish, that deserves most praise .....was running on top of the ground today and looked really good ...lets hope that form continues

Once again ROB was taken to the cleaners by a 4 game rookie Reeves, who's a great tap ruckman .....2nd half though ROB compensated by taking some telling big marks ....this is what he must do to compensate for his S**t rucking

Jones just going ahead in leaps and bounds .....amazing what confidence can do for a player, same with Ned, who now believes he's an AFL footballer

Frampton encouraging ....not hard when you compare how bad he was as a FWD
Not sure what game you were watching but WOW your comment that ROB was taken to the cleaners is a bit of the mark

I've been a critic of ROB this year and on yesterday's performance I think he broke even in the ruck work but was twice more effective around the ground then his opponent

ROB defensive running was very good, and over the past 2 weeks has started taking contested marks around the ground

Definitely more improvement required in his ruckwprk, he should dominate a rookie ruck, but ROB was easily more effective around the ground

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure what game you were watching but WOW your comment that ROB was taken to the cleaners is a bit of the mark

I've been a critic of ROB this year and on yesterday's performance I think he broke even in the ruck work but was twice more effective around the ground then his opponent

ROB defensive running was very good, and over the past 2 weeks has started taking contested marks around the ground

Definitely more improvement required in his ruckwprk, he should dominate a rookie ruck, but ROB was easily more effective around the ground

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Think you need to read my comments properly .....I said Reeves was a great tap ruckman and took ROB to the cleaners in ruck contests

I made no mention of the Hawks ruckmen being superior around the ground

Not sure why you're arguing ....what you said here is what I said ?????

Sholl looks cooked tbh. Second efforts just aren't there for someone so fit. His decision making has gone backwards as well. Think he'll be fine in the long run, but think we can put in the cupboard for 2021.
Correct ....Sholl is totally burnt out

What an absolute waste playing Frampton up forward ahead of Himmelberg was

It's taken 18 matches to find out something we knew last year

Now if we want to play catch up with Himmelberg and get him some games it will be at Thilthorpe's expense
Yes this. It was the most baffling thing to come out of the pre season that we staunchly preferred Frampton based off of training.

Awesome

shoey- love this kid.. still makes a couple of errors every now and then but he’ll iron that out of his game with experience. More midfield/cb minutes for him please.

Fog - he’s part of our future forward line. End of story. I still think we should throw him into the midfield for small bursts because i reacon it helps his development and hes got great hands and makes good decisions in traffic.

Frampton - was great apart from a couple of mistakes. He dominated in defense in that SANFL the other week but as we all know with Billy SANFL performance means nothing when it comes to how he performs at AFL level. He supprisingly went alright. Still got to improve though and prove he can do it against the stronger sides. If he remains in the side... next week will be the real challenge.

mchenry, mcpherson, hamill, jones all showed last night why we were interested in them at the drafts. Jones has cemented a spot just months after looking like a delistable bust. Remarkable turnaround. Credit to the lad.

tex with another four.. we are gonna miss him dearly when he finally retires but i reacon he’s got another two seasons left in him if he can keep up his current fitness.. Get Burgess to the club to help please.

Laird - if this bloke could kick he’d be an elite mid. Even one of his kicks on goal was a helicopter/floater type.

Good

Himmelberg - showed a bit of last years good form.. dont know that he’ll ever get the brainfarts out of his game though. Problem with Himm is that I want him dropped next week for Thriller.. we have to prioritise thilthorpe over himm and I want tex, thilthorpe and fog as our tall forwards moving forward. Sorry himm.

sloane - warrior... but more time half forward /half back and less on the ball/cb’s for rory please. Time to start the hand over of the batten to the younger players.

Butts - controversial maybe.. but I actually thought Jordan was well below his best last night. I honestly thought he was a bit flat.. Which isnt a bad thing because hes an under 50 gamer and its all part of the learning curve.

Bad

Berry - the current experiment with Berry needs to stop. He is rotting away and will start losing confidence if it continues. He’s being wasted playing there and it needs to change.

sholl - had a dirty night.. think late season fatigue is starting to take affect on his young frame. Seems to have slowed and is lacking any strength in his core.. certainly dont want to see him dropped but he will be better after another preseaon under his belt.. again, Burgess would help.

Terrible

this obsession with Horne.. * him.. seriously, * HIM.. the way he carried on against us at Victor the other week made me think hes a bit of a campaigner and maybe that his stepfather has been in his ear and has had him put him through the Port Adelaide “how to hate everything Crows” training and education propaganda program. He has actually spent some time training with the pear and spoke publically already about how much he likes how the power go about it. His immature young mind has been brainwashed!

this draft has some great mid prospects in its top 5.. the odds that Horne will end up being the best of them 5 years from now when it counts arent actually that great. Roberts for mine.. or even Callaghan.

Interesting you say that about having other time because he's also shown a freak ability to get the ball to boot in extreme congestion that you typically only see out of guys who have been playing a bit longer.
Yeah, I definitely agree. It's just that IQ to know when to take a moment, and when just to move it on - he's got the capacity for both depending on what the circumstance requires. So good.

3 years in, coming up for his 4th in an AFL system Rankine has a loooong way to go to live up to your "generational game changing talent" hallmark you've bestowed upon him. He might get there one day but disappointing is his only descriptor currently.
Needs to change clubs quickly .....Gold Coast is the wrong environment for Rankine

Yeah, I definitely agree. It's just that IQ to know when to take a moment, and when just to move it on - he's got the capacity for both depending on what the circumstance requires. So good.

The other thing about Schoenberg that hasn't been mentioned is that he did a wonderful job tagging O'Meara in the first quarter. Some of his tackles were superb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see a bit of Troy Menzel in Rankine.

Massively talented but lazy.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The other thing about Schoenberg that hasn't been mentioned is that he did a wonderful job tagging O'Meara in the first quarter. Some of his tackles were superb.
I don't think Schoenberg is really tagging.

Just a two way midfielder. Been a while since we have had one, it is a novelty and assumed he is tagging.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Why cant Berg play with agro like he did last night more often. Last week he looked like he was counting clouds. Showed no interest. Kicks at goal were a massive improvement.
We should sin him up for another 2 years so he can go back to the old lazy Berg. :think:

Bickley post game. "The next few weeks might be a real chance to rest some of the kids against the better sides to freshen them up for the last couple".

Explain that logic.
Bicks is a terrible judge.

Agree we need to rest Sholl & Berry, but then we replace them with more kids.

We are in a rebuild which means we should not be prioritising experience over youngsters.

Yes this. It was the most baffling thing to come out of the pre season that we staunchly preferred Frampton based off of training.
Sorry.. but that is complete and utter horseshit.. and an incredibly poor attempt at re-writing recent history.

Frampton was preferred over Himmelberg out of the club trial/preseason games because.. wait for it... Frampton played well in them and Himmelberg was absolute garbage in the trial and preseason matches.

Frampton even played a blinder in Round 1 against Geelong before reverting to the the crap frampton we all know.

himmelberg continued with his rubbish form in the SANFL until about round 5.. looked disinterested, lazy and almost cranky that hed been overlooked and if he couldve been dropped to a SANFL reserves side he would have.

there was nothing baffling about it. Go back and rewatch the early season games/sanfl this time with your eyes open.

the overrating of himmelberg in here by some sees them make some wild claims about him and the clubs treatment of him. he’s s**t.. he’s been on the list 5years and has proven he’s nothing more than half decent depth.

thilthorpe, tex and fog are the current answers and we need to find another forward in the next year or two to eventually replace tex.. Himmelberg and Frampton arent the answer...

i’d rather see them invest in McAsey as a forward before himm/billy..

I'm okay with a coach rewarding a good pre-season in the first couple of rounds but actual league form needs to take precedence and Frampton should have had a line put through him at the end of round 3. He's been incredibly lucky to get 9 games.

Rowe is another one. Dead-weight like that getting 17 consecutive games is just infuriating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back