• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenberg

• Jake Soligo

• Brodie Smith

• Taylor Walker

• Riley Thilthorpe

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rachelle's main act in the last quarter was a contested mark and non-trivial goal from the resulting kick, about the best individual act a player can do in terms of impact. And one of his only acts in the first quarter set up a goal. The fact he was rarely involved otherwise meant he couldn't lose points for errors.

I'm surprised that Berry's tackle count wasn't enough to overhaul Rachelle. But both he and Soligo had low disposal efficiency, and were generally pretty scrappy with a lot of turnovers. Soligo in particular wasn't the contested ball beast he was made out to be in this game.
Fair enough, but you've only got to look at the poll to see that Crows supporters felt Berry and Soligo were in our top 3 and Rachele was in our bottom 3.
The modelling that graph is based on is pretty flawed imo.

Our midfield setup in stoppages is dumb as dog s**t (thanks VB).

We constantly handball backwards after winning a stoppage and keep hand balling backwards until we have a player with a little space… the problem is it’s so ******* obvious so if I notice it then opposition coaches can. Which is why you see opposition mids constantly running to the back to shut these players down, eventually we kick under pressure after winning a clearance because they already know what we’re trying to do. It’s just dumb..
Yes, backwards handball ... or it's the blind bomb-kick forward.

Compare that to the Dees; they structure up until after one or at most 2 handballs out of a clearance, they find a man in space (not under pressure) who can lower his eyes and kick forward with a teammate in mind.
Oliver <==> Petracca <==> Langdon, again and again.
They have uncanny knowledge of where their teammates are. Yes, that comes from the experience of playing many games together, but it's also from structure and discipline and practice ie good coaching.

It's very rare for the Crows to go handball/handball outside to a player in the clear running forward for quick delivery to another player on a lead.

The worst thing from Jones wasn't just that awful turn over, it was his attempt to take a chest mark from behind in the defensive fifty not long after.
Was that the play where he didn't contesting the mark when the Melbourne player marked the ball uncontested 10m out and goal directly costing us 2 goals within 5 minutes of play.

'Effort' clappers are the worst people
+
People watching for them are bit weird as well. You know cos you’re looking out for them. X
I don't think they are "effort" clappers. Aren't they applauding the outcome? :confusedv1:
eg Supporters don't applaud the leap (effort), but the mark or spoil oob (result); they don't applaud the snap (if it misses), but the goal. The run-down (effort) is not applauded, unless the bloke with the ball is caught. There's always light applause after a good tackle (effort) but only if it nails the bloke with the ball or, better, gets a htb decision, and so on.

What aggravates me is the posters on here who rave about 'effort' as if it's some wondrous quality in and of itself.
It's not.
Effort is a base-limit, not-negotiable minimum and should be expected from every player, every contest.

(afterthought: I don't doubt that Murphy made an "effort" yesterday; he's a scrappy, try-hard little tough nut, but the outcome/result was awful. Nicks' decision to play him --- and scrappy trier McHenry when selected --- on the basis of effort and "experience" and not outcome (ie impact) is the kind of thing that makes me doubt him as a Coach. We've seen enough of Murphy to know that the effort is there, but he's not a small forward's ahole.
Would we have lost by more if Newchurch was playing and not Murphy? I doubt it).

Need to hit on an elite mid with our first this year
TRADE for one, so that we don't have to wait 3-4 years for the kid to be elite.
Work out which one of JHF, Rankine or Lukosius or another that we really want and throw a pile of money at him.

Speaking of throwing a pile of money at someone, I hope the Crows will be eyeing off Goodwin after Melbourne tapers off :whistle:

Was that the play where he didn't contesting the mark when the Melbourne player marked the ball uncontested 10m out and goal directly costing us 2 goals within 5 minutes of play.

Yeah, he had an angle to at least attempt a spoil, but instead positioned himself for a chest mark.

Why do we so often concede the first 3 goals of a match?
This is where senior players and the Leadership group have to step up on the ground pre-game and make sure their teammates are switched on.
In defense, why do we never have a player between the goal line and the contest?
Why do we rarely have anyone staying down for the scraps - both in defense and in attack? Everyone wants to be a hero and fly for the ball.
Why, when you can easily play on kicking out after a point, and gain 20-30metres before kicking, do we persistently take a token little run and kick it long to the right to a stagnant contest. Why haven’t we perfected some set plays from the kick out? And why don’t we ever do it in a hurry to catch the oppo on the back foot?
The answer to your other 3 questions is: bad coaching.

We actually controlled a lot of the game.
Turning it into a grind. We are good at this. But you can't hold a good team for 120 minutes.
Melbourne had the class to lift.
I thought the first half was excellent (except for our forward deliveries which were marked far too often by Dees interceptions). A good game of footy.
It seemed to me that Melbourne turned it up a notch in the third, especially defensively (we kicked only 1.2). Had they kicked 5.4 or 6.3 instead of 3.6, we'd have been in big trouble, 27 or 32 points down.
Then, when we got close again in the last, they were able to turn up the heat and pull away for a good win to them.

Excellent teams and solo players (eg in tennis) seem able to do that. They moderate their effort to suit the conditions/opposition and have something in reserve when threatened, especially against a much weaker opponent.
Were they 'toying' with us? No, well, I don't think so, but every time we got close they pulled away again.

another post with an ‘ugly’ list that only has our young players on it..

what f*n gives?

why do laird, keays, doedee and smithers all constantly get massive free kicks from our supporter base?..

mistakes, poor decisions and miss kicks are to be expected with young players with around 50 games or less experience.

the crazy thing is it is our older players (keays, doedee, smith, laird) that are actually making even more mistakes, poor decisions and miss kicking even the most basic kicks… and a lot of the time when they arent even under pressure.

yet there are many here that seem to simply refuse to pot these older blokes and continue to focus on the youth and judge them a shitload more harshly.

its bewildering.

Here are a few comments I posted from the last G/B/U thread I posted in (vGold Coast).

1656818841491.png

1656818864060.png

1656818886832.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot seem to be giving up on Pedlar who hasn't yet got AFL fit being a year behind in the AFL system.
They're giving up on him because he keeps breaking down. Nasty ones too. Ankles, shoulders, groins etc. Don't think anyone is arguing he lacks talent but his body just isn't holding up to the rigors of AFL. I had hoped Burgess would turns things around for him but some players are just cursed.

The fitter you get the less soft tissue injuries you get, basic football knowledge. ;)

how many soft tissue injuries though? So far I know he came with a shoulder and has had an ankle, haven't heard of groin or hammy problems. But may have missed it. That said, you're wrong on nearly everything, so this is probably just another example of that.

Our midfield setup in stoppages is dumb as dog s**t (thanks VB).

We constantly handball backwards after winning a stoppage and keep hand balling backwards until we have a player with a little space… the problem is it’s so ******* obvious so if I notice it then opposition coaches can. Which is why you see opposition mids constantly running to the back to shut these players down, eventually we kick under pressure after winning a clearance because they already know what we’re trying to do. It’s just dumb..
The backwards handball is infuriating and obviously a clear Nick's directive. The funny thing is that no other AFL coach is directing their players to do it. It's first instinct stuff and has been ingrained into our DNA so it's going to take a while to get this out of our game. The other thing I notice is that we do inside backwards handball instead of using handball to get the ball outside of congestion. Even Dawson at one point did the 3 metre handball inside to even more congestion instead of getting the ball out to space and runners. The top sides such as Richmond always get the handball out of congestion to space and not in it.

how many soft tissue injuries though? So far I know he came with a shoulder and has had an ankle, haven't heard of groin or hammy problems. But may have missed it. That said, you're wrong on nearly everything, so this is probably just another example of that.
He's had groin issues for sure. I think he did a hammy once.

Groin. No need to apologies since you haven't for the other times I've corrected your post.

We actually controlled a lot of the game.
Turning it into a grind. We are good at this. But you can't hold a good team for 120 minutes.

Melbourne had the class to lift.

A great example is the goal Fritsch got.

Just before that goal we had a an I50 that was not perfect, but a good contested marker would grab it.

It went to ground.

Melbourne then worked the ball forward, a scrub kick towards Fritsch, who has strong hands and goals.

Tonight that class was the difference.

I think we are one or two elite mids and a true contested marker up forward away from being a Finals contender.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Melbourne weren't exactly playing there best football and with their rucks out it was a prime opportunity to knock them off. We currently make to many errors to take advantage of such opportunities and our kicking is nowhere near AFL standard to punish teams.

Back