• Riley Thilthorpe

Results are only viewable after voting.
Feb 4, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies - SNAFL
Nicks could have tried chaos-ball (grubbed, bouncy) entries to make Lever and May at least have to compete for a ground ball,
ANYTHING,
to stop them from marking so easily.
But that also means a clever small forward crumber or two. Rowe can do it, but I’m not sure Murphy has the reflexes to kick miracle goals from nowhere!

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
Our coaches suck:
  • They have a crap gameplan - having +1 at stoppages leaves our forwards out numbered so even though we usually have an extra player around the stoppage the kick forward is generally a hack around the corner.
  • They select the wrong players - the continual selection of Murphy and McHenry is bewildering, finally moving Crouch out is a good move but why has it taken 18 months? RT for one game then out, Milera in when he wasn't ready. Where's Cook, Newchurch, Gollant etc. Why persist with Billy and Burg?
  • They put players in the wrong position - wasting Dawson in the back line as the interceptor is ridiculous, that's Doedees role. Put Laird back, Hately in the guts, Dawson to the wing.

Despite our crap coaches I'm liking the look of Berry, Soligo and Parnell.

Harry looks like he is turning it around, as is Milera - he's one of the few who actually looks for a team mate in a better position and doesn't just panic when he gets the ball.

Our endeavour was great, we need to stop recruiting players with s**t foot skills - just waste of our time.

Rags_118

Team Captain
Nov 19, 2020
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Blacks, West Ham, Rangers
26 intercept possessions for Lever and May. Criminal. Nicks spoke about it as a "major issue" in his brief half time interview with Ricciuto.

Was significantly worse after half time. Did we have any sort of plan?

Lever 14 intercept possessions without a single contested mark. So not only were we kicking the ball to him we didn't even have anyone flying against him.
It was probably the game where we needed Gollant just to consistently provide aerial contests in the forward fifty. He wouldn’t mark many, but at least he would have to be out marked. More balls would have likely come to ground for the benefit of our SFs.

Missed McAdam too.

As an aside, Melbourne have a great record at Adelaide Oval.

Overall their record against both sides is 9 wins 5 losses and against they have won 5 and only lost 2.

First game I ever went to at AO they rolled us. One of the worst spectacles I've ever seen. From memory they got off to a flier then just choked the life out of the game for 3 quarters. They couldn't miss in front of goal while we missed gettable chance after gettable chance. Chris Dawes of all people played the game of his life and dominated us. They ended up winning 11.4 to 9.13. One of their 4 wins that year.

It's kind of funny that even when Melbourne were putrid, they always seemed to manage to scrag a game out of us. They'd always drag us down to their level. And now with the tables turned we seem to be able to go with them to an extent.

Ramify

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wow. Who is the Brownlow medallist?

Let's be real, we aren't going to get the right Coaching or development into the kid anyway, so I'm not willing to put additional pressure on the kid by singling him out of this A-Grade line up.

(That might have been a bit heavy on the Mayo, but if it comes to fruition, just remember you heard it here first folks!)

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did anyone else get the feeling that Melbourne were toying with us a bit?

Similar to Geelong earlier this year who did just enough to keep us at arms length and if we got too close they would switch gears and kick a flurry of goals.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, which is what good sides do.

maxlilly

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
over here
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our coaches suck:
  • They have a crap gameplan - having +1 at stoppages leaves our forwards out numbered so even though we usually have an extra player around the stoppage the kick forward is generally a hack around the corner.
  • They select the wrong players - the continual selection of Murphy and McHenry is bewildering, finally moving Crouch out is a good move but why has it taken 18 months? RT for one game then out, Milera in when he wasn't ready. Where's Cook, Newchurch, Gollant etc. Why persist with Billy and Burg?
  • They put players in the wrong position - wasting Dawson in the back line as the interceptor is ridiculous, that's Doedees role. Put Laird back, Hately in the guts, Dawson to the wing.

Despite our crap coaches I'm liking the look of Berry, Soligo and Parnell.

Harry looks like he is turning it around, as is Milera - he's one of the few who actually looks for a team mate in a better position and doesn't just panic when he gets the ball.

Our endeavour was great, we need to stop recruiting players with s**t foot skills - just waste of our time.
All good points.
The frustrating thing is we can all see it, why can't the coaches see the obvious

Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants

Similar to Geelong earlier this year who did just enough to keep us at arms length and if we got too close they would switch gears and kick a flurry of goals.

i said that to the missus when was leaving, Melbourne never got out of 2nd or 3rd gear

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide

posted yesterday at 12.44p.m. (below)
It seemed to me that Melbourne turned it up a notch in the third, especially defensively (we kicked only 1.2). Had they kicked 5.4 or 6.3 instead of 3.6, we'd have been in big trouble, 27 or 32 points down.
Then, when we got close again in the last, they were able to turn up the heat and pull away for a good win to them.

Excellent teams and solo players (eg in tennis) seem able to do that. They moderate their effort to suit the conditions/opposition and have something in reserve when threatened, especially against a much weaker opponent.
Were they 'toying' with us? No, well, I don't think so, but every time we got close they pulled away again.
It's easy to miss a post in 20-odd pages. All I'm saying is that I wondered the same as you. :smilev1:

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
i said that to the missus when was leaving, Melbourne never got out of 2nd or 3rd gear
LOL

The commentators said during the telecast the pressure from both teams was 200+ on whatever scale they use...apparently that's an extremely high rating right across the comp.

Apr 29, 2010
Ngunnawal
AFL Club
Adelaide
We maintain our record of winning at least one quarter in every game.
Curiously, we have won only 4 out of 15 first quarters, but 8, 7 and 7 out of 15 second, third and fourth quarters respectively.
3 of the 4 first quarter wins have translated into match wins.

1656901687705.png

Truck25

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
LOL

The commentators said during the telecast the pressure from both teams was 200+ on whatever scale they use...apparently that's an extremely high rating right across the comp.
They also mentioned that we are number 1 in the comp at being difficult to move the ball against from end to end.

Back