Review Good/Bad vs Melbourne - Rd 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Is pick 2 instead of pick 4 the difference between success and failure?
At first, I thought "Good question, except we won't know for 4-5 years", but that's too simplistic.
It only hurts if the bloke we really wanted to pick went a pick before we got to him and he turns out to be a midfield star which the Crows need like life itself,
BUT
how does anyone know that, before the event?

Without a shadow of a doubt pick 2 would be better

What about winning culture?

Would all the confidence we got in beating Geelong and Melbourne be ruined by losing to the wooden spooners, especially at home?

Wouldn't it be funny if we won and ended up with pick 4, and North don't choose Horne with pick 1! That would be very Adelaide.

I didn't watch todays game but I did see the highlights and that HTB they paid against Keayes that directly led to a goal was total bullshit.

mK7smzc.gif

confused-jaguarsfan.gif
Wasn’t the only one either. Melbourne were gifted about 4 of their first 8 goals by the umpires. Was actually disgusting

What do we make of Strachan's game? He wasn't anything special and looked exhausted from the first bounce (maybe he just has resting all-night-bender face?) but he competed well and did a few nice things in general play.

A small part of me wonders if we could get some trade value for O'Brien and use Strachan as a stopgap for a few years until we train up a new ruck.

What do we make of Strachan's game? He wasn't anything special and looked exhausted from the first bounce (maybe he just has resting all-night-bender face?) but he competed well and did a few nice things in general play.

A small part of me wonders if we could get some trade value for O'Brien and use Strachan as a stopgap for a few years until we train up a new ruck.
Nice idea but ruckmen never seem to have trade value.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

True but I think we still have to put forward our best lineup - I imagine the FL could be keeping a close eye on what we do that I hope we don't give them any reason to ping us draft wise.
They can't do anything to us by playing our future. We are a rebuilding side.

Pretty well played for 3 quarters against a good team who were also playing pretty decent. Pressure was up and some of the ball movement was really good coming out of defence.

Thought we got a s**t deal from the umpires. Some pretty average holding the ball decisions and a couple of 50m penalties not paid.

Good:
Epic game from Seedsman. Gold jacket I think in an outstanding year.

Fog starting to clunk some strong marks. Coaches would be happy with that effort.

Keays and laird did what they do and Sloane actually joined them. We were still outclassed though.

Strachan has massively improved! Gawn did have a good game but Strachan was pretty good as well I thought for his second game. A good back up ruckman.

Butts and Murray. Murray was real shaky with his decision making early in the year but that's coming along nicely and he's hitting targets. Still gets a bit loose defensively but is improving quite a bit. Butts has some good ground ball wins and his composure is also improving.

McHenry one of our best. I think that was his best game. One of the biggest positives for the year imo. He's turning into a handy player who makes good decisions and works extremely hard.

McPherson getting back to Mr reliable.

Jones and Schoenberg both had some good moments, although a bit quiet.

Cook is one I hardly ever saw on screen but when he had the ball he was ultra classy. Wonder what his tog was?

Average :

TT started poorly but I think he played a good second half. One poor kick on his left but apart from that he's highly skilled when he gets it.

Lynch had 3 costly turnovers but was his usual creative self otherwise. Not his best game overall.

Sholl wasn't as bad as he has been. I'm never confident when he's lining up for goal for some reason.

Bad:

Murphy was a non event again

McAdam has gone backwards and never retained the form from last season.

Kelly was Kelly

O'Brien is contracted for another 4 years, I think his trade value would be quite low because of it

A few of the smaller 'good' aspects of the game:

- McPherson is looking like he belongs now. Has averaged 18 disposals per game since he's come back into the side, and has paired that with some solid defensive work. Liking his progress
- Jones had a rough start, but his 2nd half was great. Never looked like turning the ball over
- Davis' disposal was shaky at times, but he had a poise that makes me think there's something worthwhile there. I'm guessing we still delist him, but he doesn't look out of his depth
- Murray's a tough bugger, isn't he? I didn't realise this until now, but he's 7th in the comp in one-percenters per game - pretty solid for a SSP pick. That Butts/Murray partnership going forward could be superb, they really compliment each other quite well
- Strachan >>>> Paul Hunter

Would all the confidence we got in beating Geelong and Melbourne be ruined by losing to the wooden spooners, especially at home?

Wouldn't it be funny if we won and ended up with pick 4, and North don't choose Horne with pick 1! That would be very Adelaide.
Winning culture?

No one gives a s**t about the last game of the season, especially if you're not in the finals.

Players just want the season to be over and start again.

No-one is going to be thinking over the Xmas break, remember that great win/loss we had over north Melbourne in the last game of the season.

It's a nothing game and everyone knows it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

winning culture isn’t made by beating the bottom team in round 22. That’s just being silly

we are better getting pick 2. There is somewhere between zero value and negative value in winning next week

but still we will

17th beating 18th in a cripple fight will build exactly 0.0 culture.

What a myth.

There is value in this last game if we use it as an opportunity to experiment.

* it throw Frampton in and start Doedee in midfield. Have a look at Newchurch and Gollant.

Drop Kelly and let's see Worrell.

Bring Berry and Pedler in and play them alongside Shoey.

Try things the coaches have been so scared of trying all season.

There's seriously nothing to loose.

Hmm Davis actually looks like he belongs.

Has an elite leg, speed, composure, kind of the combination we've needed in the backline. I don't really mind what happens to him, but it annoys me that we haven't tried this earlier.
Definitely agree. He has the strength and confidence now to compete. He and Jones both rolled onto Pickett during the day and both held him comfortably.

When the team is moving out of HB I actually would prefer it in the hands of Jones and Davis over just about any other player. Hamill, great mover, s**t kick. Doedee alright, Macpherson pretty good, Milera very good (if he can get on the park), all others meh!

Today he nailed two bullet passes onto the tit of McAdam, both of which he dropped, awesome kicks.

Interesting list decision now as Davis looks pretty good back there.

winning culture isn’t made by beating the bottom team in round 22. That’s just being silly

we are better getting pick 2. There is somewhere between zero value and negative value in winning next week

but still we will
I just don't think this is true.

You don't "win" the Kreuzer Cup. All you do is establish that there can be bigger priorities than winning. I don't think successful sides EVER let that be a option.

The difference between picks is so small as to be irrelevant. But running onto the ground and not absolutely wanting to win rots teams from the inside, and can be incredibly tough to come back from. Carlton never has.

There is value in this last game if we use it as an opportunity to experiment.

**** it throw Frampton in and start Doedee in midfield. Have a look at Newchurch and Gollant.

Drop Kelly and let's see Worrell.

Bring Berry and Pedler in and play them alongside Shoey.

Try things the coaches have been so scared of trying all season.

There's seriously nothing to loose.
There might be something to lose if we bring Pedlar in.

I just don't think this is true.

You don't "win" the Kreuzer Cup. All you do is establish that there can be bigger priorities than winning. I don't think successful sides EVER let that be a option.

The difference between picks is so small as to be irrelevant. But running onto the ground and not absolutely wanting to win rots teams from the inside, and can be incredibly tough to come back from. Carlton never has.

The so called Krueger cup was in 2007, Richmond finished bottom in 2007 (not Melbourne or Carlton) and got their 3x premiership captain from it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back