Review Good/Bad vs Melbourne - Rd 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, that's passable

Good:

I really liked McHenry's game. Worked hard for 22 disposals, got involved and had some rather good moments. Plus he out marked Lever which means he'll end up being bombed to for the next decade.
Fogarty was impressive this week. Kicked goals and had an impact when he wasn't hitting the scoreboard.
Seedsman had a very good game.
I liked Keays game as well. Seemed a bit cleaner this week then usual.
Was happy with Sholls game. Would like him to start sinking those shots though.
Jones played well and some of those kicks were pretty mint.
Murray took a screamer.
Butts for bouncing back after Brown took him to the cleaners in the first quarter.
Fritsch kicking 7 goals which should hopefully help sway our list management to not retain Jake Kelly.
Strachan was thrown to the wolves and for the most part, acquitted himself well.
McPherson has really bounced back in the last month. Looking like the player we had at the back end of 2020 at the moment.

Eh:

Thilthorpe looks like a kid who has become tired and begun to overcomplicate things with some of those efforts in the first quarter. Still, he had some good moments even in that state and found a bit of the attack of the ball he had earlier in the year in the third.
Cook has come back to earth after a good showdown. Hopefully we give him a third game.

Bad:

Doedees first half was rough.

Good, bad and ugly at the same time:

Ben Davis. As we've decided to overcomplicate a simple decision about his state on the list, he played well this week. Hopefully we don't get hoodwinked by this.

Could Davis be a better McKay. I like his ball use. Neat kick and looks to be creative.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There is value in this last game if we use it as an opportunity to experiment.

**** it throw Frampton in and start Doedee in midfield. Have a look at Newchurch and Gollant.

Drop Kelly and let's see Worrell.

Bring Berry and Pedler in and play them alongside Shoey.

Try things the coaches have been so scared of trying all season.

There's seriously nothing to loose.
We all know this won't happen.

We will use the final game as our last opportunity to win. To show the members we aren't that bad. To "build momentum into next season". To avoid finishing as low as possible. All at home, in front of our fans.

We'll also want to farewell Lynch and Talia in style.

As such we'll be playing all of Lynch, Kelly and Mackay. Guys like Worrell and Berry will be in the twos. We'll bring back Smith. Our starting midfield will be the same as every other round this season.

North haven't won in Adelaide for a decade. We'll beat them by 30 points and there will be lots of self congratulatory wank and pats on the back.

Meanwhile our draft position will be weakened, not just in the first round, but also the second round and for any free agent compensation

Good... Loved seeing the boys on the "G". Hope the debutantes enjoyed it.
Sholl's best game for quite some time.
All the players already listed as good in this thread.
Bad...the stark reminder of the gap between our mids and elite.
Ugly... Lever's attitude, sniping, moustache.

We all know this won't happen.

We will use the final game as our last opportunity to win. To show the members we aren't that bad. To "build momentum into next season". To avoid finishing as low as possible. All at home, in front of our fans.

We'll also want to farewell Lynch and Talia in style.

As such we'll be playing all of Lynch, Kelly and Mackay. Guys like Worrell and Berry will be in the twos. We'll bring back Smith. Our starting midfield will be the same as every other round this season.

North haven't won in Adelaide for a decade. We'll beat them by 30 points and there will be lots of self congratulatory wank and pats on the back.

Meanwhile our draft position will be weakened
Yes, unfortunately i do know this is exactly what will happen.

**** it throw Frampton in and start Doedee in midfield. Have a look at Newchurch and Gollant.

We may need Blighty in the coaches box along side Nick's. Let's hope Nick's start trying some things as he needs too.

Fog really making Tex hard to justify next year
In the first half of the season, Fog received a hard time in here by many. However, his back half of the year has improved steadily.
Looked like he had a FF mojo today.
Tex might well be back but it's definitely getting harder to play him over Fog. Tex might kick more goals than fog next year but given the club has taken steps with Lynch and Talia to open their spots to youth, all senior players are facing very short future's at the club.

What do we make of Strachan's game? He wasn't anything special and looked exhausted from the first bounce (maybe he just has resting all-night-bender face?) but he competed well and did a few nice things in general play.

A small part of me wonders if we could get some trade value for O'Brien and use Strachan as a stopgap for a few years until we train up a new ruck.
Good enough to keep the backup ruck spot for at least another year as long as the club are willing to drop O'Brien if his performance drops. After that point he either improves to the point where he surpasses ROB and/or offers the option of going into a game with 2 ruckmen; Or they delist him and recruit a permanent replacement via the draft.

Yeah and 20 -25m is now less than 15m, play on....I'd love to buy some land off these jokers.
It's funny how if you are Adelaide, you get called to play on as soon as you think about moving, but if you are Melbourne, you have to actually pass the man on the mark before it is called.

Can't do that!!
Sloane MUST play midfield. Laird MUST play midfield. Keays MUST play midfield. Mackay MUST play anywhere.
We are genuinely unable to even consider making changes to this.

Good... Loved seeing the boys on the "G". Hope the debutantes enjoyed it.
Sholl's best game for quite some time.
All the players already listed as good in this thread.
Bad...the stark reminder of the gap between our mids and elite.
Ugly... Lever's attitude, sniping, moustache.
Found myself very conflicted between 'hope he does his knee again' and 'I hope Melbourne beat Port in the finals'.

Good:
Our performances against top 4 sides have been strong.

Nicks is the right coach for this group, Look at Carlton; 4 years "ahead" development wise and have gotten absolutely nowhere backwards in the wrong direction.

Jones has saved his career this year.
Every time Thilthorpe gets the ball, something good/(at least you dont groan) happens.
Butts 22 this year, Murray 21, Thilthorpe 19, Fogarty 21 are all key position players.
I really like Brayden Cook, he moves well and is huge for a mid/wing.
Kieran Strachan should be trade bait for GWS, too good for SANFL, not good enough to push O'brien out, nice hands.

Bad:
Sloane, Laird and Keays are good midfielders. Thats all they will ever be. Elite is required.
The fade out at the end.
Forward 50 entries are based off hope, rather than organisation.

Ugly:
Stop dropping marks guys.
Nothing super ugly, competitive game let down by some pretty poor skill errors at times.

The so called Krueger cup was in 2007, Richmond finished bottom in 2007 (not Melbourne or Carlton) and got their 3x premiership captain from it.

True, but the incentive for Carlton was not to finish below Richmond, but rather to stay under 16.5 premiership points to get a priority pick. Which they nailed bu being 4-7 at the midpoint of the season before ending up at 4-18 and in position to take Kreuzer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good:
Our performances against top 4 sides have been strong.

Nicks is the right coach for this group, Look at Carlton; 4 years "ahead" development wise and have gotten absolutely nowhere backwards in the wrong direction.

Jones has saved his career this year.
Every time Thilthorpe gets the ball, something good/(at least you dont groan) happens.
Butts 22 this year, Murray 21, Thilthorpe 19, Fogarty 21 are all key position players.
I really like Brayden Cook, he moves well and is huge for a mid/wing.
Kieran Strachan should be trade bait for GWS, too good for SANFL, not good enough to push O'brien out, nice hands.

Bad:
Sloane, Laird and Keays are good midfielders. Thats all they will ever be. Elite is required.
The fade out at the end.
Forward 50 entries are based off hope, rather than organisation.

Ugly:
Stop dropping marks guys.
Nothing super ugly, competitive game let down by some pretty poor skill errors at times.
Cook struggled to get near the ball, but far out is he talented! Everytime he touched it, he looked like he had time and space where others didn't. He's going to be special that boy.
Add in Gollant, and we have some seriously exciting players coming through.

It's funny how if you are Adelaide, you get called to play on as soon as you think about moving, but if you are Melbourne, you have to actually pass the man on the mark before it is called.
The club should send video evidence of this to the AFL.

Last edited:

Get fined our first round draft pick for Tanking

winning culture isn’t made by beating the bottom team in round 22. That’s just being silly

we are better getting pick 2. There is somewhere between zero value and negative value in winning next week

but still we will

Just asking the question to get other peoples points of view, even though none of us have any control over it.

Honestly, we would have to hire someone full time to put together the video of the awful decisions we seem to cop week after week.
When you have Vic commentators calling it out you know you have a problem. The umpires hate us. Until there is a new group of umpires not a lot will change.

When you have Vic commentators calling it out you know you have a problem. The umpires hate us. Until there is a new group of umpires not a lot will change.
I think there are a few issues.

1. Victorians have been scared about the Crows becoming a dominant club for a long time. The media in particular will go all out to smash the crows at any opportunity, including influencing AFL decisions.
  2. The umpires are all Victorian and so have grown up with rule number 1.
  3. We don't bitch and whinge like other clubs. We need to start doing it. yes we also need to flop around and dive like we are at the Olympics. If the AFL won't call it out, then we are the fools for not using it as well.
  4. We don't adjust to the rules. The Keays HTB call was awful - no doubt. But the rule now is that the player with the ball just has to attempt to dispose of it. He doesn't actually have to handball it or kick it legally. Just attempt. Hence the constant WB 'throws' are actually allowable in the rules. He just had to attempt, even if he dropped it, and it was play on. We are still yet to realise this, despite it being in the rules for a few years now.

We can finish higher though... Collingwood and Gold Coast can finish below us.

I reckon our match, being 17th v 18th, will probably end up in the Sunday twilight time slot after every other game. So by the time the game starts we should have a fair idea of just how badly we need to play. Hopefully Collingwood and Gold Coast get a couple of upsets, freeing us up to try winning the game without risking our draft position.

Found myself very conflicted between 'hope he does his knee again' and 'I hope Melbourne beat Port in the finals'.
Have both...
The Dee's beat up on port in the preliminary final and Lever does his knee. Misses Grand final and premiership.
P.s... I'm not advocating a player gets injured so I'm happy to downgrade this to Lever getting reported in the prelim. Misses the GF.🥳

Have both...
The Dee's beat up on port in the preliminary final and Lever does his knee. Misses Grand final and premiership.
P.s... I'm not advocating a player gets injured so I'm happy to downgrade this to Lever getting reported in the prelim. Misses the GF.🥳
It's Lever. No need to backtrack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back