Review Good/Bad vs North Melbourne, R22 2022

Who played well against North Melbourne?

• Sam Berry

• Jordan Dawson

• Ben Davis (sub)

• Jordon Butts

• Tom Doedee

• Darcy Fogarty

• Mitch Hinge

• Chayce Jones

• Ben Keays

• Rory Laird

• Shane McAdam

• Ned McHenry

• Lachlan Murphy

• Nick Murray

• Reilly O'Brien

• Patrick Parnell

• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenberg

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

• Josh Worrell

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Boy we fumble a lot

Some players are serial double and triple grabbers with every ground ball. Sometimes they have time to regather, sometimes they don't.

Laird (who's usually very clean) had his opponent lob the ball to him after winning a free... and fumbled it.

Was just an untidy day. Two dropped chest marks in the first 20 seconds set the tone
Didn’t notice the fumbling in the 2nd half, but it was particularly bad in the 1st quarter. Generally we are a decent ground ball team though.

Boy we fumble a lot

Some players are serial double and triple grabbers with every ground ball. Sometimes they have time to regather, sometimes they don't.

Laird (who's usually very clean) had his opponent lob the ball to him after winning a free... and fumbled it.

Was just an untidy day. Two dropped chest marks in the first 20 seconds set the tone
Would have been a very ugly day had we been playing a good side.

Would have been a very ugly day had we been playing a good side.
North got a hold of Collingwood only a month ago as well, similar type of game with them dominating centre clearances and inside 50s. Their midfield is actually quite decent, it’s their defense that seems to struggle most weeks. Outside of McKay they leak scores quite easily, we had 14 scoring shots from 17 entries at one stage. Glad we were able to respond like the Pies did, especially on the back of responding last week in a game the opposition were dominating for a period too.

North got a hold of Collingwood only a month ago as well, similar type of game with them dominating centre clearances and inside 50s. Their midfield is actually quite decent, it’s their defense that seems to struggle most weeks. Outside of McKay they leak scores quite easily, we had 14 scoring shots from 17 entries at one stage. Glad we were able to respond like the Pies did, especially on the back of responding last week in a game the opposition were dominating for a period too.
I think Noble made their situation look more dire than it really is and I'm not going to be too happy if they get a PP.

Good:
  • From a win loss & percentage perspective we've surpassed last year with one more winnable match. Though last year our scalps were bigger (Geelong, Melbourne)
  • Resetting at half time after a fairly ordinary period from half way through the first quarter to half time. Not ideal we get into situations we play that poorly we need to but at least coaches are able to get a very noticeable lift in intensity.
  • Relatively even team performance where everyone had their moments.
  • Midfield lifting when the game needed to be won. Laird & Schoenberg in particular in the last half.
  • Not really any players I felt were terrible, just energy & effort down for a decent chunk of the match.
  • Goal kicking after quarter time was generally decent. (Thanks Fog & Tex)
  • Dawson was outstanding, everywhere, marks, defensive acts. Really couldn't ask for more than that.
  • Fogarty getting it done yet again when the match was on the line.
  • McHenry had another decent output game, did some very nice things. A whipping boy here but last couple weeks have been on the level. Lets see if he can make it 3 in a row as he approaches the magic 50 game mark.
  • Worrell another very strong performance. Looks very comfortable on the level, add a bit of extra size and he'll get even better.
  • Soligo yet again the guy want to make decisions at key moments. Way more often than not makes the right decision and executes. Absolute draft steal if he sustains this.
  • Schoenbergs goal, if that doesn't get you excited not sure what will. Love that it was right when the game was there to be won too.
  • Cunnington was nice to see him back out there after what he's been through.

Bad:
  • Midfield in the first half was flat as a tack, with Laird down on his usual output we were pretty pedestrian in there.
  • Our pressure in the first half, the above certainly didn't help but they really transitioned the ball with such ease at times it wasn't pretty to watch.
  • Smith was probably the most underwhelming of our players. Sucks to see him decline so badly as when he's at his attacking best he's great to watch but 1 really good game out of how many? Won't be dropped but should no longer be guaranteed a spot next year.

Ugly:
  • Some of Elini's umpiring is just bewildering at times. It can be true of most umpires but I do feel she's more of a lotto than the rest.
  • McAdam getting injured, shame he'll probably miss the final match of whats been an excellent year for him. Still it's opportunity for someone else.

All in all great to get the 3rd win in a row even if a bit of a frustrating performance. Probably the pleasing is just that most of the side did their job with just a couple match winners (Fogarty & Dawson) dragging us over the line.

Good
Good come back when we looked so lethargic.
Great step change after half time.
Too many young tyros to mention; but I'm starting to see there is some real talent to work with in our team.

Bad
The centre clearances in the second quarter to North... WHERE THE **** WERE OUR CHANGES??!!!!
It was too late by the time Thilthorpe made his pathetic ruck skills known. Our mids needed to play defensive side FFS

Ugly
Eleni the cheat... WTF are you doing umpiring with big girls pant on. You are a far ken disgrace!!!

Had North not succumbed to injury it may well have gone down to the wire.
I was impressed with the way we got back into the game particularly in the middle; but we have some really key injuries leading into next week which is a bummer.
I thought it was only McAdam that would be missing next week.

Last edited:
I'm assuming Shoeys GOTY nomination got plenty of discussion time.

Hopefully next year he can put it together, clearly our stand out midfield prospect
Berry and Soligo have looked like better prospects than Schoenberg. Was a good goal by Schoenberg but he needs to get a lot more involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Berry and Soligo have looked like better prospects than Schoenberg. Was a good goal by Schoenberg but he needs to get a lot more involved.
On a consistent basis can't disagree.

But for me, on a potential basis, we don't have a better prospect than Shoey.

No he's rated appropriately seeing he's an above average defender, but has become an odd target.

7.8 intercepts (=8th out of defenders in 2022 and 2 intercept marks per game), 4.3 ground ball gets, 24% one on one loss rate (which is above average and equivalent to Brendan Cox), so yeah he's been above average.

If this is a down season, Doedee is a serious footballer.
My memory that Doedee was third for intercepts as recent as a couple of weeks ago.

False%2Bdawn%2B1.jpg

I will be surprised if we win.

As bad as Port have been this year, they have still been beating up on bottom 10 sides since going 0 and 5.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's true.

Hence a 100 point win would likely cause some sort of natural disaster as 5,000 port supporters s**t themselves at the same time.

On a consistent basis can't disagree.

But for me, on a potential basis, we don't have a better prospect than Shoey.
That's pretty generous, considering how bad he's been this year.

I hope you're right ...

That's true.

Hence a 100 point win would likely cause some sort of natural disaster as 5,000 port supporters s**t themselves at the same time.
They’d burn Alberton to the ground

I think Noble made their situation look more dire than it really is and I'm not going to be too happy if they get a PP.
Bookmark this, finishing last in consecutive seasons especially if Clarkson join them (didn't he rebuild the Hawks and built a dynasty with them getting PP which allow them to get Roughead and Franklin?). There won't be a surer thing.

Back