Review Good/Bad vs North Melbourne, R22 2022

Who played well against North Melbourne?

• Sam Berry

• Jordan Dawson

• Ben Davis (sub)

• Jordon Butts

• Tom Doedee

• Darcy Fogarty

• Mitch Hinge

• Chayce Jones

• Ben Keays

• Rory Laird

• Shane McAdam

• Ned McHenry

• Lachlan Murphy

• Nick Murray

• Reilly O'Brien

• Patrick Parnell

• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenberg

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

• Josh Worrell

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fully expect midfield to do poor if laird is down, it’s him and infant midfielders. Keays should not have been used in the midfield in the first half.

Need a big bodied mid. We never have a match up for Bont, Oliver, Petracca, LDU today, etc. absolutely slaughtered by these guys every time. Watching Hollands blossom is painful, he was the answer.

Rob is a big issue, how is straughn going?

Good:
Fogarty - on current form he is our best forward. An absolute beast and confidence is sky high. It’s a pleasure to watch.

McHenry - I have very little time for him as a player, but credit where credit is due. He was very good today bar a couple of poor moments. In our best 6 on the day.

Soligo - strong chance for a rising star nom, and just continues to make fantastic decisions with ball in hand.

Worrell - he’s played 4 AFL games and never lost. Why he hasn’t played 24 AFL games is absolutely baffling. He’s been our best true defender (Dawson is not a true defender) 2 weeks in a row, and is very comfortably outplaying all of Doedee, Smith, Butts, Murray and Parnell. Looks a fantastic prospect for the present and future.

ROB’s second half - he absolutely annihilated Goldstein in the ruck contest in the 2nd half and this has gone largely unappreciated. Also took a few nice marks today. Didn’t get a stack of the ball, but his tapwork was really good in that second half.

Dawson - showed some genuine toughness on more than a couple of occasions today, and continues to solidify his position in the top 2 of our B&F for 2022.

Schoenberg’s goal - will get a GOTW nomination I feel

Cunnington’s return and the emotion surrounding his journey was inspiring to see.

Bad:
Tom Doedee - good god he’s been awful in the last 6 weeks. Has any crow in history other than Matthew Robran or Richard Douglas fallen over more? Someone get him some screw ins for Xmas for crying out loud. Looks a shell of the player he was last year and earlier this season.

Jordan Butts - speaking of shells of themselves, Butts is cooked for 2022. Awful. Again. Let’s hope he can regain his 2021 form early next year.

Schoenberg’s first half - probably deserves to be dropped based on that half. Redeemed himself late, but far out, his defensive efforts in the first half were diabolical.

Laird - had an absolute shocker. His worst game for a long time. The come down from game 200 was likely a factor.

Hugh Greenwood - he’s just horrendous at football now. North have ruined him.

McAdam is made of glass. Not sure I have any faith that he’ll ever get through a full season without getting injured.

Brodie Smith - what on earth has happened to him? Was terrible again, and completely uncompetitive at times. Starting to wonder if there’s much point in persisting with him in the 22 in 2023. May be heading down the Luke Brown path of SANFL and fake injuries at this rate.

Ugly:
Eleni is a disgrace of an umpire. Like let’s be honest here, she’s the worst umpire in the league. Tokenism at its worst.

Being reduced to witches hats for significant portions of a home game against an historically bad side. If they didn’t cop 4 injuries we likely lose.

Last edited:
This is where Chayce is frustrating, there's times you think wow he could be something, then there's times it's the polar opposite. I'm still hopeful he'll be a solid player over time but yeah let's hope next year is a real step up in a settled role plus consistency.
He’s a developing player. Consistency will improve

Why not, I see Soligo and Taylor potentially reach Neale level.
And that would be amazing but Neale hasn't managed to get Brisbane into a GF even when having home finals.

The big bodied mids that can lay that bruising tackle or take the contested mark and kick a clutch goal become Norm Smith winners over the past 20 years.

I feel people under estimate the toll an extra 8-10kgs of the bigger mids crashing in all day has.

So it's not just about the player but the make up of the centre square set up, having greater reach, being able to absorb the hits and block for other guys.

I would naturally think in most cases it would take less effort for a 92kg mid to bring an 82kg mid to ground during a tackle than the other way round.

In Nicks' presser @ 12.41 in, he's asked something that starts with "So this young man who grew up in South Australia... mumble mumble ... Showdown ... do you care ...?".
I couldn't hear it clearly, although I replayed it several times and Nicks dodged the question, well, refused to comment.

Can anyone please tell me what that was about?

Murphy and Ned have both had their best patch of form together the last 2 weeks. Murphy with 14 touches, 9 score involvements, 1 goal assist and a goal; Ned with 16 touches at 100%DE, 5 score involvements, 2 goal assists and a goal from about 45m out! They have both just looked clean at ground level recently, especially around the 50 metre arc.
Loved Neds bump today took the opponent right of the ball

On ASUS_I003D using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bookmark this, finishing last in consecutive seasons especially if Clarkson join them (didn't he rebuild the Hawks and built a dynasty with them getting PP which allow them to get Roughead and Franklin?). There won't be a surer thing.
They might get a PP but it will be end of 1st round then see how the new coach goes

If they fail next season that’s when an early PP might be in play

Remember the AFL doesn’t want them going too well as would prefer to send them to Tasmania

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Nicks' presser @ 12.41 in, he's asked something that starts with "So this young man who grew up in South Australia... mumble mumble ... Showdown ... do you care ...?".
I couldn't hear it clearly, although I replayed it several times and Nicks dodged the question, well, refused to comment.

Can anyone please tell me what that was about?
They were just talking about the prison bar debate weren't they? Nicks playing a straight bat saying he doesn't want to answer.

And that would be amazing but Neale hasn't managed to get Brisbane into a GF even when having home finals.

The big bodied mids that can lay that bruising tackle or take the contested mark and kick a clutch goal become Norm Smith winners over the past 20 years.

I feel people under estimate the toll an extra 8-10kgs of the bigger mids crashing in all day has.

So it's not just about the player but the make up of the centre square set up, having greater reach, being able to absorb the hits and block for other guys.

I would naturally think in most cases it would take less effort for a 92kg mid to bring an 82kg mid to ground during a tackle than the other way round.
Brisbanes issue is more they can't defend as a team, its definitely not a midfield issue. Just look at the scores they concede, it's not totally dissimilar to the Crows of 2016. We were a very very good side at beating up on teams but against those really good defensive side our scoring dried up enough that we couldn't simply over power the way we did lesser sides. Brisbane are a bit similar, they've conceded more than all the other top sides by a lot aside from Collingwood who we all know have been in an insane amount of close wins.

They were just talking about the prison bar debate weren't they? Nicks playing a straight bat saying he doesn't want to answer.
It was Rooch asking if Nicksy would like to see Port wear the prison bars and Nick's basically said he doesn't care what they wear so long as it's not red, yellow and blue.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not many players average more than 2 contested marks a game, that’s a good game from a key forward. His ruck work was off today, but his around the ground work and marking was back to his best. For a 2nd year key forward he’s showing more than enough to think he could be an elite player.
Showing plenty I reckon with plenty of improvement to come

I love Logan McDonald too and TT is going about as well as him , potentially has a higher ceiling

I’ve been Ned’s biggest critic (still am) and would love to see us trade him out if possible but he was made to look like peak McLeod in comparison to North’s small pressure forward Lazzaro. That blokes skills and composure belong in Div 4 Ammos not the AFL. How does he get a game?

What about Pendlebury? He is tall but isn't considered big body.

Anyone know why crowd numbers aren’t put up at AO anymore? Takes at least a day or two before you can find them online
It's becauseof Gill's "optics"

It's the same in Melbourne, you almost never see crowds published anymore.

If you don't read about it, it's like it never happened!!

Back