Review Good/Bad vs North Melbourne, R22 2022

Who played well against North Melbourne?

• Sam Berry

• Jordan Dawson

• Ben Davis (sub)

• Jordon Butts

• Tom Doedee

• Darcy Fogarty

• Mitch Hinge

• Chayce Jones

• Ben Keays

• Rory Laird

• Shane McAdam

• Ned McHenry

• Lachlan Murphy

• Nick Murray

• Reilly O'Brien

• Patrick Parnell

• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenberg

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

• Josh Worrell

Results are only viewable after voting.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I believe it was about JHF and about showing him with a showdown which club he should choose
+
"Who spent a lot of time in Alberton, do you care what another club wears in a showdown?"

No, Rucci, he doesn't.
Thanks to you both.

Mego Red, if that was the question, it's among Rucci's dumbest but there are plenty to choose from.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I caught about a minute of the Ch9 Footy Show, just enough to see that someone (Kornes?) had named NM's L. U-D. as BoG (9 points) with 3 Crows after him on 7.
Uhhh ... :confusedv1: ... what?

Didn't Berry shut him down a fair bit in the second half?

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Are there even many premiers who've had that prototypical tall big bodied midfielder? Bont at the Dogs, JPK at Sydney. You could argue Petracca but he's not overly tall.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Big bodied I'm comparing that to our 178- 180cm mids.
185cm + but ideally someone around 187cm+ so don't have to be giants.

Buckley, Pendlebury, Petracca, Hodge, Hayes, Martin, Bartel, Judd, Embley, Black,
are a few over 185+ while no true mid under 182cm has won it in the past 20 years so I put it down to how contested finals become.

The small guys who have won it are genuinely not mids except Chapman. Cyril, Johannisen, Pickett are the other small guys

Only 3 Norm Smith Medalists have been traded in over 20 years Lake, Pickett, Buckley so ideally the aim is to draft one.

Petracca is 7cm taller than most of our mids and 10kg heavier. Add Oliver and all of a sudden we are around 20cm smaller and 20kg lighter over 3 players.
Swan, Pendlebury Thomas all 185cm +
Hodge, Lewis, Burgoyne same
Martin, Cochin
Bont, Macrae

With 3 x sub 182cm mids your going to need to make modern history to win a flag .

Brad Crouch was 186cm

It's not their size, it's how they play. Strong, powerful, elite hands and decision making

Ticktak

All Australian
Nov 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg FC, Canucks, Seahawks
Sorry if this has already been mentioned. But did anyone else see Tex rip into Ned after Tex kicked his first goal?

He said something like: you should of fn kicked it to me straight away.

Ned was like wtf. Ned’s facial reaction was priceless.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm questioning whether you are actually watching him and if you aren't and still made that comment than yes.
I wouldn’t make the comment if I wasn’t watching him. I question some of his intensity, and I’m just a lititle disappointed at what I see, I’m not challenging his potential, and that may be why I’m hard on him I can see it, and talls, young all that I take consideration, I’m just not over inflating his tyres, which obviously some don’t like, we all have our favourites

Plugger46

Club Legend
May 25, 2014
North Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Melbourne Stars
Good
I finally saw why Nicks uses Dawson off the half back
The Fog has finally arrived in the second half of the year and hopefully becomes our best forward next year
I wasn't fully sold on Soligo early on but it's starting to click for him.

Bad
Lack of big body midfielders
I thought there were a few times that we bombed it inside 50 rather than lower our eyes for a mark

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Brad Crouch was 186cm

It's not their size, it's how they play. Strong, powerful, elite hands and decision making
Like Berry? 185 and 86 but not big enough apparently

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Brad Crouch was 186cm

He's a giant compared to our current mids. Like 2 to 3 inches taller

You do realise the size difference between Bont and Brad is less than Brad and Laird, Soligo, etc.

I would be happy if we had a Brad or Oliver size. They don't need to be Bont etc

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
These types of players take a while. Week to week calls about a 2nd year KPFs form just aren't useful.
Interesting article in the Hun by Matt Turner today re Fogarty and Thillthorpe...

Two young talls arrived at the Crows touted as stars of the future, and battled at times under the weight of external expectation. But a unique method has helped both thrive.

Confidence-building exercises are proving instrumental to the emergence of Adelaide young guns Riley Thilthorpe and Darcy Fogarty.
In the past few months, Thilthorpe and Fogarty have been working with Melbourne-based Rob Walker on improving their self-belief.

The duo are undertaking a six-month course that includes repeating daily activities and they also chat via Zoom with Walker once a week.

Fogarty linked up with Walker earlier this season, before Thilthorpe followed.
hilthorpe told News Corp he was already seeing the benefits and it had been a big influence on his teammate’s strong form.

Before Saturday’s 29-point home win against North Melbourne, Fogarty ranked sixth in the AFL for goals since round 11 with 24.

The 22-year-old added four more majors against the Kangaroos, in a bullocking, straight-shooting performance.

Thilthorpe, 20, was also impressive on Saturday, kicking one goal from 10 disposals, flying for marks and toiling at ground level.

“I’d heard about Rob through Seedo (teammate Paul Seedsman), who went to him a couple of years ago and only said good things and Fog started going to him and said good things, so I thought I’d give it a crack,” Thilthorpe said.

“(Self-belief) is one area I really wanted to work on and (the course) has been amazing for me.

“It makes you walk a bit taller.

“I feel like I’m more confident on the ground, not dropping my head as much, really trying to believe in myself and know what I can do.

“(Previously) I let games and situations affect me.

“If I’d made a mistake I’d get really down and think about it a lot.

“Self-confidence has always been a big one for me and I’m so happy I’ve finally found someone I can really work on that with.”
The two forwards arrived at the Crows touted as stars of the future, having to cope with the weight of external expectation on high draft picks.

Thilthorpe is Adelaide’s highest in club history at pick 2 in 2020.

Fellow South Australian Fogarty was taken 12th in 2017.

Last year Thilthorpe kicked five goals on debut and finished the season with 18 majors from 14 matches, but he was dropped after the opening round this year.

He has responded by booting six goals and averaging 10.25 disposals from eight games.

A focus with Walker is on changing how he views himself.

Positive self-talk has become part of his routine.

“I’m trying to change my self-image, so it’s all through repetition,” said Thilthorpe, who was now about a quarter of the way through the course.

“I’m trying to be more confident and back myself in and I’m slowly getting there, which is good.

“I think it (self-belief training) is such an untapped thing and it’s really paying off.”

Thilthorpe being out of the AFL team for nine consecutive games after his omission raised eyebrows outside of West Lakes.

Adelaide is fielding a young side and rebuilding so why not give the talented youngster experience?
“Obviously it didn’t go how I’d wanted it to, I would’ve loved to have been playing but my footy just wasn’t there,” explained Thilthorpe, who also battled niggles and Covid earlier this year.

“Nicksy was really open and honest about that, so I knew where I was at.

“I had to get the body right … and I worked on my game a lot to be more persistent in the marking contests so I’m more consistent for everyone else.

“It’s so good to be back in the team and winning.”

Fogarty was also dropped earlier this campaign.

He had little influence during the opening three matches, booting a combined 2.3, before having a five-game SANFL spell.

Recalled for round 9, his first two matches back yielded zero goals and 15 disposals.

Then a bustling, gritty three-goal showing in the away loss to Geelong sparked his season.

His subsequent returns have been: 3.0, 2.0, 4.1, 1.1, 2.1, 2.0, 1.2, 2.1, 4.1, 4.1.

But he has been much more than a sharpshooter over the past two-and-a-half months.

Fogarty is playing with power, aggression, smarts and poise while running just as hard off the ball as he is to win it.

Fitness had been an issue before last season.
Then work-rate, finding more of the footy and competing aerially became areas he needed to improve to play well consistently.

His first three seasons yielded 26 goals from 24 AFL games.

In 2021, he improved, playing 17 matches and slotting 24 majors.

This past week, Fogarty was named in the AFL Players’ Association’s 40-man 22 Under 22 squad.

“He’s playing with so much confidence and he’s up and about,” Thilthorpe said.

“I knew he could do all this before but it’s so good to see him finally playing so great and getting rewards.

“He puts a lot of work in, especially on the mental side lately and it’s really paying off for him.

“I 100 per cent believe (the self-belief work) has had a massive impact on him.”

Fogarty has now booted 80 goals from 57 games.

I caught about a minute of the Ch9 Footy Show, just enough to see that someone (Kornes?) had named NM's L. U-D. as BoG (9 points) with 3 Crows after him on 7.

Fair, LDU first half was phenomenal.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC

LDU was still the best player on the ground, had an amazing game even if the 2nd half was quiter

He gave Dawson Fog and Laird 7, I don't think Laird deserved any votes but I'm unsure who else I would have give votes to

He's a giant compared to our current mids. Like 2 to 3 inches taller

You do realise the size difference between Bont and Brad is less than Brad and Laird, Soligo, etc.

I would be happy if we had a Brad or Oliver size. They don't need to be Bont etc
Brad doesn't play as a big bodied midfielder though. It's not size that matters

The crowd for the last home game...ordinary effort.
It's the worst timeslot for our fans.
Earlier in the year I took time off umpiring to attend the games
But too many afternoon/twilight games would've jeoprodised my season, so for the Collingwood and North games I just had to umpire instead.
Screw the AFL with Saturday arvo games.

Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's the worst timeslot for our fans.
Earlier in the year I took time off umpiring to attend the games
But too many afternoon/twilight games would've jeoprodised my season, so for the Collingwood and North games I just had to umpire instead.
Screw the AFL with Saturday arvo games.
Try living in Perth with this time slot. I like to watch the games live but ave had to watch probably 10 games on replay due to stupid times lots. The games start before midday here!

Yep..

No point burning that place down.. the club and its supporters pretty much burn it down themselves, figuratively speaking, nearly every week.

Its why they need to continue to fight the prison bars fight.. its the only way they can get everyone on the same page and fighting the same enemy.. if they dont, they end up fighting each other!

They drag out the prison bars argument everytime s**t goes south for them these days.. its a distraction their moronic, gullible supporters fall for everytime.
You could almost say, they're tearing themselves apart.

Back