Review Good/Bad vs North Melbourne, R22 2022

Who played well against North Melbourne?

• Sam Berry

• Jordan Dawson

• Ben Davis (sub)

• Jordon Butts

• Tom Doedee

• Darcy Fogarty

• Mitch Hinge

• Chayce Jones

• Ben Keays

• Rory Laird

• Shane McAdam

• Ned McHenry

• Lachlan Murphy

• Nick Murray

• Reilly O'Brien

• Patrick Parnell

• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenberg

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

• Josh Worrell

Results are only viewable after voting.

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I find it very difficult to believe a few cms smaller would make such a difference and Berry and Pedlar are both listed at 182cm and 184cm, maybe traditionally slightly taller players play in the midfield but this has recently changed with a lot more of them coming through?
Do the maths and the tallest being Pedlar is yet to get his body right so I work with current group of mids playing.

You are talking 5-8% bigger and if you fail to accept that's okay.

Interesting that you choose to ignre trying to name a premiership wining midfield with this much size difference.

If it's not that bigger difference it's like asking Tex to ruck against Grundy and Gawn.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Do the maths and the tallest being Pedlar is yet to get his body right so I work with current group of mids playing.

You are talking 5-8% bigger and if you fail to accept that's okay.

Interesting that you choose to ignre trying to name a premiership wining midfield with this much size difference.

If it's not that bigger difference it's like asking Tex to ruck against Grundy and Gawn.
Generational change of midfielders coming through so yet to happen doesn't mean it won't. Schoenberg is also listed at 182cm and the different in Walker and Grundy/Gawn is 8-12cm so hardly a few cms when comparing 182cm midfielder to 185cm. We are talking about 1-2% bigger, not all midfield group average 185cm.

Last edited:

Gtowncrow

Cheated out of Finals
Jul 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon Murphy has strung together 4 good games now. A few goals in the Sydney game seems to have given him a lift.

A couple of his foot passes on the weekend were excellent.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Maybe Elijah Holland's.
So what's the point of gutting the team going to the bottom and not get the most important ingredients for success?
Midfields win games and we choose to spend most of our high draft capital elsewhere along with winning pointless games to miss out on the very pointy end of the draft.

So out of all those you listhigglights the point of Hmish drafting. Apart from Cook absolutely zero draft capital invested in anything sthat represents the most important type of player in premiership success.
I'm glad you continual to ignore all the evidence and apologetic for a flawed list rebuild. If they trade a JHF type in it could well be the difference but to compare the list you present as possibilities is like picking 0 on the roulette wheel. The odds are hard at the pointy end never mind rookie picks.
Nobody's ignoring the need for an elite big bodied mid but how many of the Dusty Martin, Christian Petracca, Clayton Oliver, Marcus Bontompelli, Jack Macrae, Patrick Cripps etc have been available at our picks in their draft? Take this year again the elite mids available aren't big bodied and will most likely be gone by our pick anyhow? I don't think Cam McKenzie, Mattaes Phillipou or Elijah Hewett quite meet the elite mid prospect status?

The one chance we had in recent times was Noah Anderson and the AFL stepped in and thwarted that possibility which lultimately led to the Fischer McAsey drafting...no way would we have passed on Noah Anderson if he was available even with the go home factor.

Last edited:

Gtowncrow

Cheated out of Finals
Jul 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
High draft pick 200+cm supposedly aerobic beast i just want to see more
For a second year tall, he's showing plenty. I think you're being a bit tough.
I think his rucking is showing improvement too.

TT doesn't look like a game winner yet, I'll grant you that. But it's quite clear he will be.

Gtowncrow

Cheated out of Finals
Jul 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone else notice a bit of a split in the team today? A few players just seemed off / grumpy when dealing with other players ... exemplified by Tex's weird snip at McHenry after he kicked his goal that was supplied by Ned.

A bit if a hangover from the week that was? Some of the older players really struggled to have an influence today. Tex, Smith, Keays, ROB.
Yep. I noticed that too. If you watch the replay of the post goal celebration, it's clear there is an issue there.

For what it's worth, Tex had no business even calling for that pass. Ned is 40m straight in front and Tex calls for a risky pass to the pocket barely closer.
A good pass and an excellent one handed mark followed by a nice kick from Tex meant we got the goal anyway. But the risk in Tex calling for the pass was too high IMO.

I know some in here will give me the old "Ned can't kick over a jam tin" line but as he had just kicked a goal from further out, he was within his right to tell Tex to lead into a better position, not worse, if he wants a pass.

I love Tex as our FF but he doesn't seem happy, other than with fog...

I reckon Murphy has strung together 4 good games now. A few goals in the Sydney game seems to have given him a lift.

A couple of his foot passes on the weekend were excellent.
McHenry has been pretty good the last three games also.

Sep 8, 2008
Pacific Northwest
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Seattle Seahawks
Sorry if this has already been mentioned. But did anyone else see Tex rip into Ned after Tex kicked his first goal?

He said something like: you should of fn kicked it to me straight away.

Ned was like wtf. Ned’s facial reaction was priceless.
Yeah I saw that too. Poor from Tex IMO. He was sooking all that quarter about his leads being ignored. Poor leadership to rip into the kid who just fed him a goal.

Sep 8, 2008
Pacific Northwest
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Seattle Seahawks
McHenry has been pretty good the last three games also.

He's introduced a couple of new tricks - he's getting better using his body/using the bump and he's also developed that dinky little Bulldogs style backwards handball over his head. Soligo has done a few of those as well so it must be something they're working on.

Still loving that bump against Carlton that set up a goal.

MarcusP2

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep. I noticed that too. If you watch the replay of the post goal celebration, it's clear there is an issue there.

For what it's worth, Tex had no business even calling for that pass. Ned is 40m straight in front and Tex calls for a risky pass to the pocket barely closer.
A good pass and an excellent one handed mark followed by a nice kick from Tex meant we got the goal anyway. But the risk in Tex calling for the pass was too high IMO.

I know some in here will give me the old "Ned can't kick over a jam tin" line but as he had just kicked a goal from further out, he was within his right to tell Tex to lead into a better position, not worse, if he wants a pass.

I love Tex as our FF but he doesn't seem happy, other than with fog...
McHenry wasn't going to pass but got called play on and forced into that kick. Maybe Tex thought he should've gone immediately.

Was weird.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gtowncrow

Cheated out of Finals
Jul 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
McHenry wasn't going to pass but got called play on and forced into that kick. Maybe Tex thought he should've gone immediately.

Was weird.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ned, looked at the pass and rejected it. He did take a step and was therefore called play on.

My point was where Tex was positioning himself in a worse place than Ned was and then calling for the pass. And then somewhat dismissing Ned after the goal is kicked. Ned's face after Tex dismisses him says it all.

NSolis

All Australian
Jul 13, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ned, looked at the pass and rejected it. He did take a step and was therefore called play on.

My point was where Tex was positioning himself in a worse place than Ned was and then calling for the pass. And then somewhat dismissing Ned after the goal is kicked. Ned's face after Tex dismisses him says it all.
Tex seemed to be angry about being overlooked for a couple of passes earlier in the quarter, which may or may not have been justified. In this specific case he was clearly way out of line, Ned was within range to have a shot and that's a higher percentage option than trying to execute a pass to a marked player inside the forward 50.

Hopefully they sorted it out afterwards because it was a weird interaction on the field for sure.

Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tex seemed to be angry about being overlooked for a couple of passes earlier in the quarter, which may or may not have been justified. In this specific case he was clearly way out of line, Ned was within range to have a shot and that's a higher percentage option than trying to execute a pass to a marked player inside the forward 50.

Hopefully they sorted it out afterwards because it was a weird interaction on the field for sure.
If you look closely, you can see the point at which Ned’s heart breaks…

6C35EBC8-5479-4871-93F8-9234AAC5F543.png

7D9856C6-50EE-40A1-89A1-AE72FC7052D5.png

bluebob1

Senior List
Aug 28, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I saw that very differently. I thought he was 35m at most out and has just kicked a goal. Should not even considered kicking it to Tex. No good player who is confident in shooting at goal would have looked at anything except the goals. I think Tex may have been saying why are you passing just take shot. I hope so. I guess hard to say unless you could hear what was said. If you are correct then it is pretty poor from Tex.

Oct 20, 2015
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Luke Jackson is playing in a good team with mature players around him. Thilthorpe form in 2022 has been inconsistent with injuries but some of the things he does show he will elite.
FWIW Malcolm Blight reckons he's going to be an absolute gun of the competition. Not that he's a good judge

Oct 20, 2015
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Tex absolutely blasted the midfield near the end of the 2nd quarter while north was having (another) shot at goal. Was really demonstrative about what they were doing wrong and was trying to tell them how to set up different. I liked it, as if that had continued we would've lost. Leaders should try to change things that aren't working

Maddogmetro

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Washington Wizards

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220815-135154_Kayo Sports.jpg
    Screenshot_20220815-135154_Kayo Sports.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 88

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
1) For what it's worth, Tex had no business even calling for that pass. Ned is 40m straight in front and Tex calls for a risky pass to the pocket barely closer.
2) I love Tex as our FF but he doesn't seem happy, other than with fog...
1) I thought same, at the time. Good thing Tex nailed that goal.
We don't know what was said; we'll never know. Best interpretation is Tex was unhappy about something and Ned was taken aback. Players have niggles @ each other often, while training and during a game. It's human nature.
2) Walk a mile in Tex's shoes:
--- he's 32, coming to the end of a great career. Personally, I'd love to be 32 again, but only if I could take back with me what I know now! :sneaky:. 32 is long in the tooth for an AFL footballer.
--- from the highs and disappointments of 2016-17, he must surely know he will never be a Premiership player in a Club to which he's given his heart and soul, a Club which came close but no cigar. That'd be hard to accept and deal with.
--- he's an ex-Captain and elite forward in a Bottom-5 team with a midfield that is just starting to find its feet, but will only be a force after he's retired.
--- every time he has a good game, some Commentator refers to "recent difficulties" and I can't imagine the vitriol he cops from oppo supporters.
The only thing I can see that he's got to be "happy" about is helping and watching the Crows youth develop. Based on what he's said, that's something he really enjoys.

Personally, I love the bloke too, warts'n'all.

Back