Review Good/Bad vs North Melbourne, R4 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Goldstein got the better of Rob in the ruck. A fair few of the taps O'Brien won went straight the opposition too.

I'd still give him a pass though because he worked his way into the game, and took some solid marks.

Good: The away strip. Looks like a Crows guernsey while successfully avoiding clashes with blue teams. Full marks.
I tell you want, if we lost this match there would have been a lot of fans calling for this clash strip to be never worn again!

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Did you miss the IMO?
It’s just my opinion.
Weren’t you the one telling him off?
Telling him off?

Maybe question the bloke that quoted ME in the 1st place, hence my answer.

O'Brien to my eye was well beaten by Goldstein in the 1st half whether he thinks it or not. I did note O'Brien redeemed himself in the 2nd half and was a main mover in our last quarter resurgence but if we're talking 4 quarter effort he was ordinary in the 1st half.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Telling him off?

O'Brien to my eye was well beaten by Goldstein in the 1st half whether he thinks it or not. I did note O'Brien redeemed himself in the 2nd half and was a main mover in our last quarter resurgence but if we're talking 4 quarter effort he was ordinary in the 1st half.
Those contested marks and goal in the first half were just terrible! Goldy’s taps were better in the first half, but ROB was better in general play; 2nd half ROB was better in all facets (especially last quarter when the game was there to be won) and it’s reflected in the coaches votes. Goldy also kicked a goal from a mark that very clearly bounced off another player first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those contested marks and goal in the first half were just terrible! Goldy’s taps were better in the first half, but ROB was better in general play; 2nd half ROB was better in all facets (especially last quarter when the game was there to be won) and it’s reflected in the coaches votes. Goldy also kicked a goal from a mark that very clearly bounced off another player first.
1618224588288.png

I agree that he needs to be dropped, but who do we replace him with?
From all reports Himmelberg hasn't been doing much and I'd prefer to see someone take Billy's spot than be gifted it just because he isn't playing well. I along with every other Crows fan would like to see Thilthorpe in, but I really don't want him doing any ruckwork in the centre as I'd hate to see him suffer a serious injury from these contests.
So what, or who is the answer?
Reasonable questions, because it's not just a matter of Frampton's playing poorly. It's about giving ROB a break too. However, Frampton has been at only 10% of centre bounces (from another poster, above).
In ruck and in general play he's been useless, especially his positioning/marking and kicking.
How about:
--- put the forwards on notice to up their forward defensive pressure and crumbing especially around F50 throw-ins, then
--- letting ROB handle all of the centre bounces, put Thilthorpe at CHF and let Tex and Fogarty alternate between throw-ins in the F50 (remember, Tex's first goal this year from a throw-in was a beauty, hipping Jenkins out of the way, catching the ball, one step, left-foot kick, goal)? Fogarty has enough mongrel and body strength to annoy oppo ruckmen out of position and he's not great down low (crumbing) anyway.
Before the grumblebums come in with "Fogarty? Are you kidding? Do you even football? etc etc", I said "How about ..." which means:
--- I don't know for sure, it's just speculation and
--- it doesn't matter what we suggest/want. We're not selectors.

The main thing is to get Frampton out. He's a liability. How about Worrell in, with Fogarty at CHF/some mid time?

I think its fair for us to be favs for this match, though I think we are a bit short, from a betting perspective.

Make no mistake our true test will come when we play Port, Eagles, Tigers and Dees in a row. I only hope we can put in a strong competitive effort, I have no expectations of getting within 3 goals of any of those sides.
We are a 30% chance of winning one of these, the rest less than 10%

Just on junk time goals - we have been kicking a few this year unlike previous years and conversely our opponents haven’t had many junk time goals.
Nicks has commented on this a few times in pressers. He says the team is fit and that the boys know it, giving them confidence to finish off quarters and games.

Telling him off?

It’s not a big issue.
And you could well be on the money with your assessment of Obrien.
I just thought it was odd that you’d think that someone shouldn’t have a different opinion because you wrote IMO.

We are a 30% chance of winning one of these, the rest less than 10%
Let's say the Crows have a 20% chance (only) of beating any of them, for argument's sake. It might be more or less depending on injuries/conditions etc, but that makes it too hard to put any kind of number on it at all.
The probability of winning one of the four games is
(Nx)p^x.(1−p)^(N−x)
where (Nx) is combinatorial, C-N-x (in this instance, one-from-four) and the "^" represents "the the power of".
= 4. (1/5).(64/125)
= 256/625 or about 0.4 .... (I think, been a long time since I had to work one of these out o_O )

The probability of winning all of them is 1/625.

In simpler terms, I think that the Crows might pinch one of those games if the oppo is off, on the night.

Are we starting to get a bit loose / frayed - loss to Sydney, hard fought win against GC and an injured norf.... as the season continues it will be interesting to see the how the younger ones go.... do people see us continuing along our way which will see us land somewhere 8-14th, or will we see a ‘correction’ that puts us back in the bottom 4?

I think freo have to come in this week as favourites...
There’s a correction coming when the fixture gets a lot tougher.

I’m enjoying the wins but realistically we do have a tough overall fixture and we’re coming to the end of the ‘easy’ run.

Bottom 4 on the cards for mine. But hey, who knows what a young team will do and how they’ll hold up to the good teams? I think we might take a couple of unexpected scalps at home along the way.

Check out our quarter by quarter stats:

1618229885491.png

What the hell is going on in our third quarters? Our last quarters have been strong so it's not fitness related (never thought I'd say that with Hass still around).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back