Review Good/Bad vs North Melbourne - Rd 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Really liked with Gollant how if he lost front position at the contest, which will happen due to his size, he didn't let that take him out and instead would try to go over the top of his defender. Took a couple good marks that way.

Cook has settled super quickly, uses it well, very impressed with him.

Schoenberg needs to take over as one of our starting mids next year, Strachen doesn't have the contested marking ability of ROB, but tap work is more dynamic and varied.
18 hitouts to advantage vs only 5 from Goldstein. Has better disposal than ROB and is able to get involved around the ground just as well. Had more disposals than most of the North team at one stage during the 3rd quarter. Interesting to see what happens next year.

Every club tanks.

every single one. If you don’t think medical decisions, selection decisions, positional decisions and tactics change towards the end of the year for teams with nothing else to play for then I suggest you’ve gotten hung up on a word more than the reality of the situation

a word the league can’t even define properly
I suspect you might have a point.
Could you be so kind as to furnish an example from this year?

My opinion on Keays is that he will improve exponentially. We have a few trolls on this site , same as the Tex thread. How can anyone not see how Keays has improved from his first match last year. Will poll high in the B/F. Big call but I see Dusty qualities about him (not same level atm). He is a bull with the ball.
I think the Dusty comparison is a stretch, but agree that at only 24 Keays has plenty of room for improvement.
He's a tough nut. I wouldn't like to be tackled by him.
He's all ready played more games for us in 2 years than at Brisbane in 4 and would be Top 5 in this year's BnF, I'd reckon.

Looks to me like he's learned what hard work can do for him and should hit his peak in 2022/23/24/25.
I'm looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Original post suggested that we should play Frampton over Murray partly because he has the ability to play forward.
I know, it was my post. I was responding to a comparison of the two players. I said I preferred Frampton because he judges the drop of the ball a lot more accurately than Murray who is still learning and was schooled massively a few times this year, and he also can play forward if we need it for flexibility. I never said I was comparing him to Wayne Carey.

Not sure why anyone would bring up Frampton playing forward as a positive.
I get you are trying to farm a few likes by dumping on Frampton's poor performances as a forward, but all the information you need is in both of my posts.

I get you are trying to farm a few likes by dumping on Frampton's poor performances as a forward, but all the information you need is in both of my posts.
Someone disagreeing with you doesn’t mean they are fishing for likes.
s**t comment.
I don’t need information, I just can’t work out why you’d prefer him due to his ability to go forward.
It’s a negative not a positive.
He’s shown far more down back than up forward and should never be played down there again.

On another note, potentially how good will North’s midfield be in a couple of years:

Horne-Francis
Thomas
Phillips
Davies-Uniacke
Simpkin
and perhaps Cunnington

Just needs a decent ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t need information, I just can’t work out why you’d prefer him due to his ability to go forward.
It’s a negative not a positive.
He’s shown far more down back than up forward.
I think you're being a bit OTT there. He's not an AA but he can play forward and bring the ball to ground plus also ruck in a pinch. He also takes more contested marks than Fogarty does. If he can turn into a decent KPD, his ability to go forwards is absolutely something that would count in his favour in a direct comparison to Murray, who struggles at both ends right now.

On another note, potentially how good will North’s midfield be in a couple of years:

Horne-Francis
Thomas
Phillips
Davies-Uniacke
Simpkin
and perhaps Cunnington

Just needs a decent ruckman.
Don't forget young Tom Powell, was extremely impressive in his first year

I think you're being a bit OTT there. He's not an AA but he can play forward and bring the ball to ground plus also ruck in a pinch. He also takes more contested marks than Fogarty does. If he can turn into a decent KPD, his ability to go forwards is absolutely something that would count in his favour in a direct comparison to Murray, who struggles at both ends right now.

You’re neglecting the fact that Murray is a first year player without a pre season while Frampton has had six or seven years in the AFL. Yet there at similar levels, I’d argue Murray might even be better, imagine where they’ll be when we’re pushing for finals next.

Frampton has shown we can’t rely on him forward, not only that, how often in the modern AFL are players asked to change ends in game? Seems strange to base a long term decision about our future defensive prospects on the basis that one could play forward maybe once in the event of an injury.

Not sure why anyone would bring up Frampton playing forward as a positive.
The biggest positive of him playing down back is that he's not up forward

You’re neglecting the fact that Murray is a first year player without a pre season while Frampton has had six or seven years in the AFL. Yet there at similar levels, I’d argue Murray might even be better, imagine where they’ll be when we’re pushing for finals next.

Frampton has shown we can’t rely on him forward, not only that, how often in the modern AFL are players asked to change ends in game? Seems strange to base a long term decision about our future defensive prospects on the basis that one could play forward maybe once in the event of an injury.
I'm not though, it was in the post I replied to, which was a comparison between the two players, specifically at this current point in their careers, and who is the better option. Hence why I said 'at this point I prefer Frampton'.

I'm not though, it was in the post I replied to, which was a comparison between the two players, specifically at this current point in their careers, and who is the better option. Hence why I said 'at this point I prefer Frampton'.

Fair enough. I disagree though as I see no point playing Frampton over Murray for the minimal advantages he may give us now as Murray and Butts are the two that we can build our defence around I feel.

Fair enough. I disagree though as I see no point playing Frampton over Murray for the minimal advantages he may give us now as Murray and Butts are the two that we can build our defence around I feel.
That's also a valid opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back