Review Good/Bad vs North Melbourne - Rd 23

Remove this Banner Ad

I think McAdam needs to be draft capital.

He will be fighting with Gollant for the medium forward.
But Gollant showed me more today than McAdam has all year (Yes, McAdam showed me a bit last year, however, that was with weaker support around him.)

I'd rather give Gollant the spot, and trade McAdam elsewhere.
He's a liability in a small role.
Needs to be mid role, but I'd rather Gollant there.
Absolutely not having a go at you, just asking, but what did gollant do in his first AFL game to warrant getting rid of a guy that has numerous games bagging goals and at times showing potential to turn a game around by himself in McAdam ?

Not a McAdam fan boy, in fact I think he won't be here if we're chasing top 4 in 2-3 years, but what has gollant done to warrant a pretty big fan base on this forum with only 1 AFL game?

Absolutely not having a go at you, just asking, but what did gollant do in his first AFL game to warrant getting rid of a guy that has numerous games bagging goals and at times showing potential to turn a game around by himself in McAdam ?

Not a McAdam fan boy, in fact I think he won't be here if we're chasing top 4 in 2-3 years, but what has gollant done to warrant a pretty big fan base on this forum with only 1 AFL game?

The SANFL still exists, my friend. Gollant has been hot there in his first 7 games.

The SANFL still exists, my friend. Gollant has been hot there in his first 7 games.

I don't look too deeply into SANFL experience just the way I don't think Frampton can transform 30 posession or 7 goal hauls in the SANFL to AFL level.

I think Frampton is good depth. He'd be on relatively cheap wages, dominates if demoted to SANFL and seems to actually like playing 2s. Dad a WA based Crows fan also?

New to the backline craft, and actually tries a lot harder in the defensive lines with 2nd efforts. Can only get better with a few more games back there.
Murray can be preferred, but he goes so hard into crashing packs and taking marks that during a full season he will likely knock himself out a few times, take out his own players a few times, or take out opposition and get suspended. Need to have a couple decent guys who can go back there and do the job if Murray and Butts cop injuries. After next season, if Frampton hasn't shown signs, then is an easy delist. While we need him, he is cheap to extend for a year or 2 until we have much better players in front of him.

Frampton's kicking out of defense actually seems pretty solid, I'd trust him more than Kelly or a Hartigan. Plus he gives you that backup 4th ruck just in case our luck runs out like some other teams have had with their rucks the last few years.
Frampton has a a much better knack for judging the flight of the ball than Murray, who gets lost watching his man quite a lot. Murray is more athletic and a bigger kick, however.

At this point I prefer Frampton because he has more flexibility to move forward if the opposition goes small.

I don't look too deeply into SANFL experience just the way I don't think Frampton can transform 30 posession or 7 goal hauls in the SANFL to AFL level.

There is a vast difference between a Frampton and Gollant as prospects, which is what you're missing here. Frampton is physically ready for AFL football, and one you should not trust that he can translate SANFL form due to that reason as Frampton could be dominating due to his size/fitness. Gollant is doing everything despite needing another 10 kg on his frame + extra strength, running power etc. He's averaging two goals a game on natural talent alone in that division and has 3 and 4 goal hauls against two of the best teams in that league and Port, and it's not just he's a mark and kick player either. He's doing it on the ground as well and has a solid defensive game. It'll translate to the AFL, providing Gollant works hard.

He deserves every fan he has at the moment, and then some. The kid has a shot at being a very good forward (if not a star third tall).

Shane McAdam this season When Tex has played vs When Tex hasn't played:

Disposals 7.8 vs 11.3
Marks 3.3 vs 5.7
Goals 1.4 vs 2.7

Only three games when McAdam played and Walker didn't mind you (vs 15 when both played)

Shane McAdam this season When Tex has played vs When Tex hasn't played:

Disposals 7.8 vs 11.3
Marks 3.3 vs 5.7
Goals 1.4 vs 2.7

Only three games when McAdam played and Walker didn't mind you (vs 15 when both played)
Tex would have a huge presence in a foward line and is definately a focal point..

These stats arent surprising.

Obviously we went in with the want to win the game. But that was dumb by the club. Unless they genuinely think the player they want will be there at 4. Either way that's the story we will be spun now in the face of criticism. Yet again proves the club is poor on strategy.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

What did you want the coaching staff to do? Tell the players to deliberately lose their last game for 2 of their long standing teammates? Not only would it have been leaked to the AFL, and we would've received massive sanctions, it would have destroyed the culture of the playing group.

North were absolutely terrible and we couldn't have lost to them even if we played a midfield of Butts, Frampton and Fogarty.

It may be McAdam that wants to leave and not us pushing him out. Apparently Freo are into him combined with being from WA. McAdam can be a good player at times but he is inconsistent and not the best set shot for goal going around.

People are excited about Gollant due to his rate of improvement combined with what he has shown in the SANFL this year. Frampton has been in the AFL system for 6 years and has shown very little.

Really liked with Gollant how if he lost front position at the contest, which will happen due to his size, he didn't let that take him out and instead would try to go over the top of his defender. Took a couple good marks that way.

Cook has settled super quickly, uses it well, very impressed with him.

Schoenberg needs to take over as one of our starting mids next year, Strachen doesn't have the contested marking ability of ROB, but tap work is more dynamic and varied.

Having looked at comments I'll add my two cents ..

McHenry, loving the recognition, kid will play in the guts and win a b & f within 4 years!

Really liked Jones for a while and he's showing he can play.

Schoers just gets better every game.

STRAUGHNY he'll be lead ruck somewhere by 2023.

Fog just needs confidence.

Thilthorpe needs an unintended pre-season. Will be a giant of the league.

Cook overly impressive.

Gollant. Has a future, Harry Jones?

Pedlar might be the best untapped on the list.
McPherson can play, getting better.

Really like Murray.

Scholl, Hammill, Hately still have futures.

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Frampton has a a much better knack for judging the flight of the ball than Murray, who gets lost watching his man quite a lot. Murray is more athletic and a bigger kick, however.

At this point I prefer Frampton because he has more flexibility to move forward if the opposition goes small.
And do what exactly?
He more than sucks as a forward.

Don’t get why it’s a question at all between Murray and Frampton. Murray is at the level he’s at in his first season at AFL level without a full pre season. Frampton has been in the system for seven years, I’m not against keeping him on as maybe he’ll be the third key defender if there’s room on the list but I think with Murray and Butts we’ve got a combo that could play together for a decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t get why it’s a question at all between Murray and Frampton. Murray is at the level he’s at in his first season at AFL level without a full pre season. Frampton has been in the system for seven years, I’m not against keeping him on as maybe he’ll be the third key defender if there’s room on the list but I think with Murray and Butts we’ve got a combo that could play together for a decade.

Frampton will be a Depth player / Gold Coast list clogger in 2023.

I thought Roo was pretty ordinary in his post-match with Mackay and Lynch. Sure, D-Mac is retiring, but Lynch hopes to play on, despite Roo saying 3-4 times Lynch was retiring. Plenty of ways to handle that better - last game for the Crows, end of a decade at the club, closure of this chapter...

Lynch was clearly annoyed.

I thought Roo was pretty ordinary in his post-match with Mackay and Lynch. Sure, D-Mac is retiring, but Lynch hopes to play on, despite Roo saying 3-4 times Lynch was retiring. Plenty of ways to handle that better - last game for the Crows, end of a decade at the club, closure of this chapter...

Death, taxes and Roo making us look bad in the media.

Nicks was similarly evasive in the post-match press conference. He was asked about them getting rid of the senior players, and all he wanted to talk about was DMac retiring. He point blank refused to acknowledge that the departures of Lynch & Talia were club decisions, not player decisions.

I thought the same but you’ve got to remember it was Roo who pulled the trigger so just awkward all round.

I won’t lie, I was hoping to bottom out again this year , but I would hand in my membership if we ever purposely lost a game!
There's a big difference in what you just said above vs the people who are going on about it being such an Adelaide FC thing to do (to win yesterday). Deliberately losing just to get a draft pick is piss weak. Where's the guarantee that pick 2 in the draft ends up better than pick 4? Even 10 or even 20?

Honestly, this is complete dribble.

We played one of the youngest sides we could have put out there. And the last thing you do is put a side out deliberately to lose - FFS, how many times do people need to see how tanking ruins clubs for a decade before they realise it DOESN'T work??

Every club tanks.

every single one. If you don’t think medical decisions, selection decisions, positional decisions and tactics change towards the end of the year for teams with nothing else to play for then I suggest you’ve gotten hung up on a word more than the reality of the situation

a word the league can’t even define properly

How do you propose we actually lose that game yesterday? North were so bad they butchered a goal when they had a player 20 metres clear at the top of the goal square - and the way they played, it wasn't even a surprise.

perhaps our longer term development planning might have begun a little earlier than it did?

we put the cue in the rack far too late in the season.

Every club tanks.

every single one. If you don’t think medical decisions, selection decisions, positional decisions and tactics change towards the end of the year for teams with nothing else to play for then I suggest you’ve gotten hung up on a word more than the reality of the situation

a word the league can’t even define properly

I’d argue that a club in the bottom 4 who isn’t doing all those things is negligent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back