Review Good/Bad vs Port Adelaide - Rd 21

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice to hear Butters this morning open an interview with the comment “ they dragged us down to their level”. Lots of respect there
Wow. The lack of self awareness to think that's an ok defence to almost being beaten. Do good sides normally suffer from that...?

Kid needs PR training pronto

I have a feeling that the combined football smarts of the Crows coaching panel did not result in them instructing their player to kick in in Aliir's direction. Players sometimes don't follow instructions in the heat of battle. Also, the "chaos" game the Crows played made it much easier for Aliir to pick us off as we often weren't moving the ball into the forward line with much method. If we play a similar style this week then I expect Jake Lever to have a great game!!
Also those saying we kicked it to Alir had to have been watching on TV, or the big screen at the game.

Alir ran to many contests once he saw the ball entering the area after our forward was a free target.

Alir rarely engaged one on one before the ball was kicked forward. Quite often HBerg or TT were in space, then Alir arrived to engage.

However there were quite a few bad kicks Alir intercepted.

Alir did have a very good game. But his main opposition were two forwards with less than 40 games experience between them.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

After half time it was like we decided it was more fun to kick it into the man on the mark than to hit a leading player. Seriously no team gets as many smothered kicks as us.
For a team that kicks it high so often we do seem to get smothered an awful lot

Can someone please explain to me how the * this was not a free for front on AND high contact against SPP? This was the goal that put them ahead.

You're normally a good poster, so this is strange.

Firstly, Himmelburg did 80% of the work on Allir.

I don't need a second but - secondly, would you have brought McAdam in instead of Thilthorpe? Maybe thrown Gollant in the deep end, even though he's only played eight or so games in three years?

Tex was dropped. We needed another tall forward. It's disingenuous to pretend not selecting Thilthorpe was realistic.
I would have gone for a different strategy and personnel yes.

And no i didn't think we needed another Tall based on the evidence.

I wouldn't have played the same forward structure and strategy against a side where this hasn't worked before in the past and especially where we've no experienced players.

Focus on a running forward line, not stationary pillars and change things up entirely.

This is the time to experiment and try things, forget honourable losses.

What harm could have come from that? And we would have learnt so much more, which is the key to this phase of a rebuild.

I maintain that our forward strategy and coaching is a problem. Its been a problem all year especially when you see how long we persisted with the 3 midget strategy.

Very unimpressed.

The only players in worst on ground discussion along with Mackay were Murphy and TT.

Mackay did some positives that were outweighed by some shocking errors, not to mention his complete ineffectiveness in any contested situation.

Murphy and TT are there by virtue of not doing anything at all, which comes close to Mackay's net result.

He's had some OK games this year and 1 good one, but mostly below average for an afl player. This sums up his career. You can depend on him being average.
Thanks David. Nice to hear from you again...😋

Welllll...... Crows coaches spent hours & hours at training with a certain player who kept handballing too often when he had shown as a younger player that he could put it beautifully out in front of a leading forward by foot. It didn't matter how well he followed instructions on the training track, in the matches he just kept handballing - & often not to the team's advantage!!! It doesn't answer your question, but it does indicate how bloody frustrating it must be to be an AFL coach!!
Perhaps they should have drafted players who kicked better under pressure.

Can someone please explain to me how the fu** this was not a free for front on AND high contact against SPP? This was the goal that put them ahead.

I just watched a replay of the first half..

its almost like there is a directive from the AFL to the umpires to go soft on Port..

almost 15 occasions when adelaide players earnt a clear free kick simply went unpaid.. and another dozen times when port players simply held crows players out of the contest.. at a contest in the second in our forward line there was one where Jonas had his back to the play, arms out and was just holding fog and pushing him away from the contest.. Jonas wasnt even looking at the ball.. didnt even have a clue or care as to where the ball was.

if alir alir recognises he has no chance to get to the ball in a contest he simply resorts to holding back his opponent to ensure they dont either.. he does it constantly.

then you have the second half and ports two winning goals (this one in the footage and the one where murray is shoved fair in the back and collides with hamil) come directly from shoves, in in the back and one from front on contact.. both right in front of the umps.. both blatantly ignored by the ump.

the powa are a protected species. they get the soft draw and are kissed on the dick by the umpiring fairies each week.

Our forwards are all terrible with their positioning. They either play from behind looking for the Joe the Goose or they allow themselves to get nudged under the ball.

It's been a problem for years and years with guys like Jenkins and even Walker at times.

The delivery is shitful most of the time, but as a forward you've still got to be able to make a contest.
Or make a lead the mids can’t ignore ….

Yeah, could be.
Watch Richmond --- soooo many of their players run to space to create opportunities, time and time again, but only one out of 4 or 5 get the ball. They don't stop trying, all over the ground.
And to add to that, it creates space for the other forwards. Our forward line is a shambles without Tex. Lynch played well but we don’t need both

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone please explain to me how the fu** this was not a free for front on AND high contact against SPP? This was the goal that put them ahead.
Clear free kick, not paid.

Here's the explanation (involves some Umpire subliminal mind-reading :sneaky: )
Takes place in a millisecond *Umpire thinks*:
Port player, top 4, they could goal from this and win --- PLAY ON!!

If the AFC had any cojones, they'd ask for a PLEASE EXPLAIN. But, Adelaide :drunk:.

T
Seriously THEY TRIED THAT LAST NIGHT.

We tried to draw Allir away, and he didn't give a sh*t about that. He held his field position.

Port have excellent defensive spacing, forcing a longer ball and Allir floats around just eating that sh*t up. He's not manning the opposition - he's taking position 45m away.

We SHOULD have looked to switch play or run and handball more, to avoid him like we did May/Lever - we don't have enough of that ball skill in the backline currently though.

No disrespect, but why do you think you're somehow noticing something that a whole team of coaches aren't?
There was no run from our midfielders or half back which is why we kept bombing long. Also no short leads, so there was no other option. I did notice Seedsman in the last qtr kicking it to ground though but that didn’t help

That's not a free. His eyes were on the ball the whole time, two players contesting, correct call.
What? It doesn’t make an ounce of difference if he’s got his eyes on the ball if in the process of contesting said ball he hits him front on and high. It’s a free kick. I’m not particularly salty about it. These things happen… but you’re totally wrong.

I maintain that our forward strategy and coaching is a problem. Its been a problem all year especially when you see how long we persisted with the 3 midget strategy.
Yes, to both --- forward strategy and coaching, among other problems (inept midfield delivery, forwards don't lead but contest against each other in packs, no rebound off the last line of defence, no run and overlap in general, soft tackling etc).

I like your suggestion to mix it up, especially when something hasn't worked before.
I'm hanging out for, OH, even a pinch of Blighty's ingenuity and surprises.

Chaos ball, grubbed delivery forward would have worked better than those relentless high bombs which defences loooove, and which gave Aliir so much time to make position to intercept so well, so often.
I'd see the high kick, see the flight, wait for the drop, see Aliir, think "Surely not again ...!!"
BUT
yes, again.

forehad slaps.gif

What? It doesn’t make an ounce of difference if he’s got his eyes on the ball if in the process of contesting said ball he hits him front on and high. It’s a free kick. I’m not particularly salty about it. These things happen… but you’re totally wrong.
It does matter. Both are contesting the ball, if McPherson jumps a bit higher then he collects pepper instead. Both are contesting and eyes on the ball. Play on all day every day. If his eyes aren't on the ball then it is a free.
It's what the umps look for in the and pay frees when they notice a player taking their eye off the ball.

That's not a free. His eyes were on the ball the whole time, two players contesting, correct call.
well replied to, by:
Beat me to it; damn your ninja fingers :).
Peppa Portpig missed the ball entirely, eyes on it or not, and copped McPherson high, front on.
Free kick, all day, every day.

I don't. I have been saying for years that our list management and drafting has been awful. You don't have our list by accident. Just because our list is in an awful state though doesn't give the selectors or those above (if they are influencing selectors) an excuse to play players who either won't be at the club next year or aren't the future. We still need to develop the list to the best of our ability as quick as possible. Playing Mackay. Murphy, Kelly imo isn't helping that goal. Also playing a declining Sloane in the midfield at the expense of developing a Schoenberg or Berry is not going to help us. Selection is half the battle, playing them in the right positions so they can flourish is the other part.

The other more important part is fixing our list management and drafting departments so that match commitee/Nick's has something to work with. Then we can be in the position that Beveridge is in where we can make 5 or 6 changes a week (if players aren't performing) and still win. To be a threat in the Afl you need around 34 genuine AFL quality players on your list.
I like Kelly and don’t think he’s that bad BUT half back is a position that a young player can flourish and get confidence like Jones. Surely that position should go to a youngster. As for Murphy as a small forward?? What’s the option?? We have no one really as Newchurch looks like he needs more time.
I agree that list management, drafting and selection are at the lowest it’s ever been. Unfortunately we are trying to rebuild when we have lost couches due to soft cap salary which is hurting big time too

It does matter. Both are contesting the ball, if McPherson jumps a bit higher then he collects pepper instead. Both are contesting and eyes on the ball. Play on all day every day. If his eyes aren't on the ball then it is a free.
It's what the umps look for in the and pay frees when they notice a player taking their eye off the ball.

Eyes on the ball does not give you a free pass if you hit someone high. You misunderstand the rule.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back