Review Good/Bad vs Port Adelaide - Rd 21

Remove this Banner Ad

Eyes on ball doesn't allow a forearm across the neck. You still can't take a player out high.

Berg's front on call against Hawks was called a free for much less.
Lol
Yeah ok mate, two players contesting a ball front on with eyes on the ball and one is clipped above the shoulders. Pay a free for that and the umpires would need three whistles as spares each game.

That's not a free. His eyes were on the ball the whole time, two players contesting, correct call.
It wasn't a free for front on contact as it wasn't a marking contest.

Well it was high, and should have been a free kick, however, these are very often missed if it's not a marking contest, or it's not a Dogs or Cats player.
1628488474565.png

if McPherson got a broken nose, SPP would be out for a week...although that says more about the rule than than incident.

I like Kelly and don’t think he’s that bad BUT half back is a position that a young player can flourish and get confidence like Jones. Surely that position should go to a youngster. As for Murphy as a small forward?? What’s the option?? We have no one really as Newchurch looks like he needs more time.
I agree that list management, drafting and selection are at the lowest it’s ever been. Unfortunately we are trying to rebuild when we have lost couches due to soft cap salary which is hurting big time too

Considering the quality of our coaching staff in 2019/20, I don't know how much it is hurting, if at all.

We did a rather significant upgrade to our coaching staff at the end of last year (following on from hiring Kelly/Nicks the year prior). Though, of course, the group we had heading into the '19-20 season was an absolute dumpster fire, so even getting league average coaches is a significant upgrade. After all, gone are the halcyon days where we thought Ben Hart was a good idea as a forward coach and Mick Godden as a midfield coach (though we're yet to be fully rid of him).

Cool, I'll just go ahead and execute an opponent, but it's ok because I'll be looking at the ball.
This idiot thinks that having your eyes on the ball trumps all other afl rules. He then posted a comment making it look like a quote from me that I didn't make. He's clearly not the brightest.

I nave to say that despite what I have read on here I reckon there were some really positives that I took out of the game.
Schoenberg. This guy is one player we have been looking for. He showed he can be our Rory Sloane.
Jones. I am not sure why but I thought about 3-4 weeks ago Jones looked like he had gain some weight. Maybe my imagination. But his confidence has been building and finally I can see that Jones will be a strong reliable player. Maybe more in mold of Smith. Liked his game tonight.
Laird continues to impress me
I think Hamill is also developing his game. He has courage and grit and can use the ball well by foot. Just wish he would keep his head out of danger.
Fog. Gee he can do some really nice stuff around the ground. Now if he could just become more consistent but he still show promise.
Cook. More gym work but I can see another youngster with a bright future.
McHenry. Liking him more and more.

So we have some young talent and its starting to come through. A glimmer of hope for the future.

Now we just need to nail the right players in this years draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps they should have drafted players who kicked better under pressure.
Very good point - when they look at this crop of draftees, one of whom may be our 1st round pick, let's hope that they do select a lad who has elite foot & hand skills. Too many observers just focus on the ball-getting capabilities & then we could end up with a Ben Keays clone!!! No offence to Ben, but only one is enough in the midfield.

Now we just need to nail the right players in this years draft.
Most posters have been crying out to draft potentially good mids but, being Adelaide, I doubt they will.
Why?
They have Mrouch and Milera to return and a fixed-up Sloane to call on in '22. Add Keays and Laird to that and Schoenberg (our brightest mid star) will be lucky to get a game, let alone 60%.
I know that's cynical, but just watch.

Disco Fox --- I saw your amazement.
I'm not saying I want them to do that; far from it.

But look at the mids line-up they use as default now (Sloane/ Keays/ Laird preferred at game starts and when things get tough) in spite of the fact that the team looks better and plays better when Schoenberg is in there. He generates good plays all around the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back