Review Good/Bad vs Richmond - Rd 13, 2019

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hey, welcome back :). I was wondering if you'd had a holiday, or 'received' one ;), or maybe that you'd put yourself on 'ignore' (aahhhh, wishful thinking, hardly ever works :rolleyes:).
Anyway ---
Thanks for the 'clarification' :drunk:. I thought they were actual, club-sanctioned "Best" players in descending order, set in stone for all time, and followed strictly by Umpires for the Brownlow; also the Coaches for AFLCA voting :rolleyes::rolleyes:. I've never noticed this: "The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs ". jaytex and I were merely commenting about Laird being mentioned before O'Brien in a list on the AFC site.

Furthermore, I see you've refilled your poisoned pen with invective and have renewed your role as the (self-appointed) arbiter of truth in here:
eg Not "I agree", but

Not "I disagree", but

After nearly 26,000 posts, you still do not realise that opinions are neither true, nor false; neither right, nor wrong. eg "Atkins played a blinder" is open to discussion and disagreement.
Opinions, like the disagreements about Atkins' game last night, are influenced by a person's subjective perspective, beliefs or understanding eg about the meaning of the word "blinder" which I'd associate with a standout game worthy of BoG status, and therefore not a description of Atkins' game last night. ROB had a 'blinder'; Brouch had a 'blinder', yet I'll wait for the Coaches' votes. If Atkins gets a 5 or 4 or even a 3 from either Coach I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.
I expect that you'll come up with some mean-spirited way to mock even that.

Have you had too much coffee this morning? ;)

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not often does the Bay provide anything like insight but found this interesting !

“Damning Indictment 1
Adelaide played 6 players under 25 years and over 50 games experience. Richmond played 5.
Verdict
No significant difference. Injuries not a factor.

Damning Indictment 2
Adelaide had 9 players with 50-150 games experience. Richmond had 8 players.
Verdict
No significant difference. Experience not a factor.

Damning Indictment 3
Adelaide had 6 players with over 150 games experience. Richmond had 3. Both teams players only had 3 players with over 150 games experience score more than 85 fantasy points.
Verdict
No significant difference. Experience not a factor.

Final Nail in the Coffin - Ultimate Indictment
Adelaide had 16 players under 150 games experience playing, for a total of 1159 games. Richmond had 19 players playing with under 150 games, for a total of 1145.
Verdict
If you think a total of 14 games difference across BOTH teams inexperienced players games was the difference, you are embarrassing yourself.”

Just sayin ‘

Yeah, nah. Richmond had injuries. Injuries I tells ya!

marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
The thing with that bloody goal is that it almost defies physics. There would have been less than two metres clearance between the goal posts at that angle, and in order to get it in the direction, he had to have the ball spinning so that it was curling away from the goals. To get it right, he had to start it aimed almost at the near side point post. That's why most players would dribble it from there and hope that the usual bounce would draw it back to the goals.

The most astonishing part, though, is that he actually ran to a point that accommodated the kick he had in mind. He knew the kick he wanted and the angle he needed. It's innate, he didn't have time to get a protractor out.

His subconscious feel around the goals is astonishing. Better than Daicos. Probably the best I've ever seen in that regard.

Watching Eddie around the goals is like watching Seve Ballesteros execute his short game. Not only does he have the side to side accuracy, he hits the ball with exactly the right combination of power and vertical trajectory.

Last week against GWS, if he'd tried to dribble it through, Phil Davis was close enough in the goalsquare to rush it through. Apart from the right to left bend, he knew he had to kick it fairly flat to get the bend on it that he needed. Last night's goal he knew he was bending it right to left through a narrow gap, so he underkicked it (in terms of how much power he put into the kick) to minimise the spin. Look how the ball lands, almost softly, behind the point post - it's like a great golfer floating a wedge over a bunker onto the green.

Dec 4, 2014
Top End of Aussie
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Our forward play, both delivery and the movement within our forward line is not good enough for the most part.

Luckily it clicked in the last 15 minutes.

The second quarter dominance should have given us a 10 goal buffer had our forward play been as good as Richmond's.

Oh and Tom Lynch. Cleanest pair of hands I have seen in a long time. With his size and leading patterns I can understand why he gets the big bucks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
That second quarter we really squandered opportunities
Very frustrating

Smith's game isnt getting quite enough heat. It was very very poor at times, with his low disposal efficiency and 8 clangers directly resulting in goals against. He'd want to lift his form pretty quickly, or he should be given a run in the twos.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Smith's game isnt getting quite enough heat. It was very very poor at times, with his low disposal efficiency and 8 clangers directly resulting in goals against. He'd want to lift his form pretty quickly, or he should be given a run in the twos.
Smith would arguably be the most protected player on this board.

Could play 5 bad ones in a row and wouldn’t matter - flies a long way under the radar.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Really good post, DJ75
The scariest thing - I heard that we are well down the track in negotiations for Grundy and that we are talking about giving up ROB and our 1st pick.
When Sauce went down, that might've been an option, but ROB + our first-round pick (probably #1) was overs, even back then. Now, it's unthinkable. ROB has risen like cream to the top; accepted the challenge, worked hard, has elite fitness and speed for his size and will be a Top 3 or 4 ruckman for years to come.
Let's not get carried away thinking this was a good win. It wasn't.
ANY win against ANY oppo gets us 4 points. Is 4 points, is good.
I think Scorpus is on the money. We dominated so many aspects of the game, yet only went away with it in the last quarter. The forward entries which are corrupted by hopeful long bombs and/or kicks to oppo defenders, plus set shot misses (eg Jenkins, great mark, lousy kick from 20m :poo: and a couple of Tex's misses) are big problems.
What I like is that while we are clearly not playing our best footy, we sit healthy at 8-5, with strong defence and a clear direction as to where improvement is possible. This group has another 9 games to smoothen their forward entries, snaffle more I50 marks and convert better. IF they're playing their best football all through August, the Crows might have a Bulldogs-type Finals series ... but Geelong, Collingwood and GWS will have to be overcome. Re: Geelong, no team that has finished top after the minor rounds has won the Flag since Hawthorn in 2013. Can Geelong play any better, or have they peaked too soon?

Smith would arguably be the most protected player on this board.

Could play 5 bad ones in a row and wouldn’t matter - flies a long way under the radar.

HIs good is very good, but his bad is diabolically bad. Match losing bad quite often.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Really good post, DJ75
When Sauce went down, that might've been an option, but ROB + our first-round pick (probably #1) was overs, even back then. Now, it's unthinkable. ROB has risen like cream to the top; accepted the challenge, worked hard, has elite fitness and speed for his size and will be a Top 3 or 4 ruckman for years to come.
ANY win against ANY oppo gets us 4 points. Is 4 points, is good.
I think Scorpus is on the money. We dominated so many aspects of the game, yet only went away with it in the last quarter. The forward entries which are corrupted by hopeful long bombs and/or kicks to oppo defenders, plus set shot misses (eg Jenkins, great mark, lousy kick from 20m :poo: and a couple of Tex's misses) are big problems.
What I like is that while we are clearly not playing our best footy, we sit healthy at 8-5, with strong defence and a clear direction as to where improvement is possible. This group has another 9 games to smoothen their forward entries, snaffle more I50 marks and convert better. IF they're playing their best football all through August, the Crows might have a Bulldogs-type Finals series ... but Geelong, Collingwood and GWS will have to be overcome. Re: Geelong, no team that has finished top after the minor rounds has won the Flag since Hawthorn in 2013. Can Geelong play any better, or have they peaked too soon?
Agree here. ROB gave us an armchair ride at centre bounces and we dominated centre clearances - we just now need to clean up the forward 50 entries and get both tex and himmelberg / jenkins to keep leading at the kicker. As I have mentioned on here, Gallucci is probably our most effective kick going inside 50 and he needs to be utilised. When Lynch comes back, he too is a beautiful kick inside 50. ROB will have a much tougher test against Geelong but if he can get on top in the centre - we have to take advantage of it much better than last night

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Last night he seemed to have zero awareness of Richmond players. I think I saw him get tackled or almost tackled around our 50m line in 3 of the 4 quarters. The one in the first quarter was the strangest one. Seemed to just run directly into 2 Richmond players, despite having space to try and go around them or kick it before he got to them.

Back