Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
The AFL insist they have not clamped down on barracking but it does seem obvious someone is pushing an agenda here. I think the problem is that fans have no one to speak for them. There is no organised response to these sort of politically correct Nancies who are taking over the game.

Maybe Joffa can get something going.
Gill is trying to turn going to the footy into an experience Gill would be comfortable with

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Players don’t bother anymore because it’s too easy to catch a guy slightly high and get rubbed out for two weeks.

The shepherd is just a bump off the ball, players have pretty much stopped bumping so why wouldn’t they stop shepherding? The two go hand in hand.
The ones that bug me are when we don't bother putting our arm out or moving their path when we see them to stop them running past.

It's not the coming in from 90 degrees and bumping, it's the easy ones where they just have to obstruct them. They let them run past much too easily (and no talk to tell their team mate they are under pressure).

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
True, but it's not just us. I'm constantly surprised that a good shepherd seems to be the exception and not the rule in the AFL.
It's not hard to do either. What a simple way to make a POD.

The other thing we have been slow to do is slowing down the oppo when we give away a free kick. Geelong and Hawthorn are brilliant at it (ie. they don't give away 50m while slowing the play down)

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
In a lot of scenarios a bump isn't even necessary. Just get in they way with your arms out. There must be a reason coaches tell players not to do it in certain situations. It's not as if it takes a lot of effort.
Maybe I just notice it more, but it seems to be the serial defensive joggers who are worst at it...CEY, Atkins, Seed.

It appears to be a 'I can't get the ball, so I'll just trot off to the next contest' approach.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Excellent (from the AFC site highlights):
--- 15.34 3rd qu., Tex evades, kicks to JJ who is 1-on-2, breaks even, causes an accidental ootf by Richmond and goals from the pocket.
--- 5.27 4th qu., Atkins fends (!) then evades another player, kicks in to JJ who's again 1-on-2; JJ brings ball to ground, follows up, runs through Richmond players away from goal then snaps over L side, goal.
WOW to both, and so much better than his Rounds 1-4 efforts.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Possibly. Even without a shepherd he had time to get a kick away or not run directly at the 2 tacklers.
no left foot. We have some very one sided players. I noticed we missed some opportunties to go forward because of it. Atkins, Matt, Smith come to mind from last night

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
no left foot. We have some very one sided players. I noticed we missed some opportunties to go forward because of it. Atkins, Matt, Smith come to mind from last night
Oh, I know he has no left foot as I've seen that several times in years previous. Massively one sided, but I'm ok with that as his right foot is pretty damn good. However, in the situation last night he was either on his right or had enough time to kick off it, yet instead seemed to just run into the tacklers as though he never saw them.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Bad (from the AFC site highlights):
--- an early indicator to Milera's night; Stack beats him in the contest @ 6.42 in first quarter, takes off with ball, Milera gives up and does not chase (slight niggle/injury, or weak effort? I don't know), Stack receives from the 1-2, kicks forward, Richmond goal.
--- Brouch telegraphs his kick 8.09 3rd qu. to Sloane in centre of ground (while loose Crows player on wing 25m away to his R is ignored), Martin picks it off, Richmond goal.
Scorpus, it's this kind of error which is avoidable with focus/concentration that leaks goals, as well as haphazard I50 delivery. Crows can get better, and I'm looking forward to the last 9 games.

Also, genuine LOL at Port fans claiming Tex's contribution are 'junk time'.

His two goals in the third were as result critical as could be, the week after kicking the clutch lead taker, a few weeks after kicking the sealer in the Showdown.

The big guy's plenty of things, but a skiier aint one of them.

They're the same Port fans who think they're suddenly a premiership contender because they smashed a heavily depleted St Kilda side in China (in what some of their players have admitted was their GF).

marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
The direction he ran in was odd.

Tend to agree his awareness is poor. He could have offloaded to Greenwood as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't think he could have. He was wheeling on to his right and Greenwood got right in his way, kind of jogging through where Smith was about to kick. A Smith kick would have bounced back off Greenwood's backside, and Hugh didn't get through quickly enough to create the space to get the handball receive

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Ugly:
--- several poorly-executed, dinky-fluffy-fancy short kicks that fell short, or missed the mark, or went straight to oppo players (Milera/Smith (unusually)/Douglas worst offenders, but it varies week to week).
Turnovers they make/create are just good footy (ditto, ours).
Turnovers we make/create from lousy kicking is slack, too-fancy-smartarse and costs us 2-4 goals every week.
--- :moustache: (<== or is he just planning for Movember? :))

That's just stupid. How can you be a career footballer and never see someone get smacked in the chops. Also never have it happen to you.

Did he really not have one? Now he's missed 95% of a game because of it. Not sure I believe it.
I honestly don’t know about Murphy. But I’ve commented re Fogarty’s lack of one on a few occasions. (It’s the mother in me I guess). Can’t imagine how you’d lose three teeth WITH a mouth guard in? The knock didn’t look that big to be honest.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Greenwood - Having a rough patch in a rough year. A few guys have gone past him and whether its the hampered pre season or not, hes not playing well.

Crouch - This bloke is though. When an opposition gives you so much ball its going to hurt. Turned the ball over a bit, one which led to a goal, but he quickly backs up. Running better than weve ever seen him. Would be leading our BnF

Jenkins - 15m miss aside thats one of the best games I have seen from him, heres hoping his injury isnt too bad. Presented well, brought the ball to ground and took marks.... all the things we need him to do.

Mrouch - Playing a very very good 2nd fiddle to big bro. Just makes right decisions, gets to the right spots. Finding a good inside/outside balance.

Gallucci - I wish he'd find a way to get more ball, he is just so clean when he gets it. I cant help but feel the breakout game is coming.

Kelly - Very solid again defensively, and getting better by foot. By that I mean learning his limits better. Hopefully the injury isnt too bad.

Sloane - A lot of messy hack touches but he ground away all night. Won some very important ball around the ground when it looked impossible, and took a vital mark in the last and converted. When we need our leaders, there he is.

Seedsman - Much better than he was last week, and he needed to be. Stood up late when the Tigers were coming hard, does look a little short of a gallop though. Break might have come at a good time

Talia - Thought he was solid as again. Lynch took some grabs because hes a very good player, but Talia played him well and zoned off when required. Cant afford to lose him.

Walker - For the 2nd week in a row he started with great intent, it just didnt fall his way early. When we needed a lift, it was the big fella and a massive contested grab. This is what most of us have been wanting to see, and we are much better for it.

Hartigan - Typical Harto game, did some very good things and some WTF things. Becomes more critical if Talia misses games.

Brown - Solid, reliable, dependable.... we really missed him. Rarely beaten. Need him to be fit all year, small forwards give us trouble.

Eddie - Always buzzing around, making defenders panic and once again, give him space and its GAME OVER.

Atkins - Harsh judges in here, he was very very good. Came up big in the last quarter when we needed him to lift. Thats the level he can play at, and to beat the best we need him to get his hands dirty.

Douglas - Oh dear, cmon Dougy.... you know its time.

CEY - Another beast of a game from a guy who is making every post a winner.

Laird - Lifting again, perhaps the extra attention Smith gets is helping loosen him up. Won his fair share.

Milera - Dirty night, not in the best form but he will lift. Just seems to be picking poor options.

Smith - Turning the ball over a fair bit, uncharacteristic. Making up for it though, and his defensive efforts are getting better and better.

Keath - Sign him.... and sign him quickly. Just so good overhead, reads it fantastically.

ROB - Lets not forget hes only played 12 games too. Yes he played on rookies but he absolutely dominated them in every facet of the game. Growing week by week.

Murphy - Always wear a mouthguard.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
I don't think he could have. He was wheeling on to his right and Greenwood got right in his way, kind of jogging through where Smith was about to kick. A Smith kick would have bounced back off Greenwood's backside, and Hugh didn't get through quickly enough to create the space to get the handball receive
Greenwood made it difficult

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Large 1

Club Legend
May 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think after last night Lachlan murphy's new nickname is 'Bleeding Gums Murphy'

1560491585031.png

Not often does the Bay provide anything like insight but found this interesting !

“Damning Indictment 1
Adelaide played 6 players under 25 years and over 50 games experience. Richmond played 5.
Verdict
No significant difference. Injuries not a factor.

Damning Indictment 2
Adelaide had 9 players with 50-150 games experience. Richmond had 8 players.
Verdict
No significant difference. Experience not a factor.

Damning Indictment 3
Adelaide had 6 players with over 150 games experience. Richmond had 3. Both teams players only had 3 players with over 150 games experience score more than 85 fantasy points.
Verdict
No significant difference. Experience not a factor.

Final Nail in the Coffin - Ultimate Indictment
Adelaide had 16 players under 150 games experience playing, for a total of 1159 games. Richmond had 19 players playing with under 150 games, for a total of 1145.
Verdict
If you think a total of 14 games difference across BOTH teams inexperienced players games was the difference, you are embarrassing yourself.”

Just sayin ‘
All good points however, they had what was it - NINE of their best 22 players out? They put up a massive fight. Great courage I thought. But still very proud of our lads. Us last year would have let that game go. But these boys dug in and ground out a win. Stirring stuff.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tell you what though, if you had told me at 1-3 that we'd end up 8-5 I'd have taken it. The greater frustration is that we very well should have won the two that we lost (although we should have lost to Melb as well I suppose in fairness).

I'm prepared to call the Brisbane loss and the Melbourne win square. However, the WC loss still rankles extremely: we had it sewn up and stuffed it up at home. Bloody Talia!

Last edited:
Thought we had a good run with the umpires again. Weird to say.

Also, crowd low again. Love to see the excuses this week.
It was Thursday night. You cut out all your regional folks and most families with kids. I thought the crowd was very good considering it was a school night.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm just comparing it to the early years. Pretty sure Thursday nights were getting bigger numbers a few years ago
Yep true. Recall a game v Collingwood got over 50,000. Had a concert going - all sorts.

Personally I really dislike Thurs night games, but I think it’s more about the SMA making the whole experience too expensive

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Greenwood - Having a rough patch in a rough year. A few guys have gone past him and whether its the hampered pre season or not, hes not playing well.

Crouch - This bloke is though. When an opposition gives you so much ball its going to hurt. Turned the ball over a bit, one which led to a goal, but he quickly backs up. Running better than weve ever seen him. Would be leading our BnF

Jenkins - 15m miss aside thats one of the best games I have seen from him, heres hoping his injury isnt too bad. Presented well, brought the ball to ground and took marks.... all the things we need him to do.

Mrouch - Playing a very very good 2nd fiddle to big bro. Just makes right decisions, gets to the right spots. Finding a good inside/outside balance.

Gallucci - I wish he'd find a way to get more ball, he is just so clean when he gets it. I cant help but feel the breakout game is coming.

Kelly - Very solid again defensively, and getting better by foot. By that I mean learning his limits better. Hopefully the injury isnt too bad.

Sloane - A lot of messy hack touches but he ground away all night. Won some very important ball around the ground when it looked impossible, and took a vital mark in the last and converted. When we need our leaders, there he is.

Seedsman - Much better than he was last week, and he needed to be. Stood up late when the Tigers were coming hard, does look a little short of a gallop though. Break might have come at a good time

Talia - Thought he was solid as again. Lynch took some grabs because hes a very good player, but Talia played him well and zoned off when required. Cant afford to lose him.

Walker - For the 2nd week in a row he started with great intent, it just didnt fall his way early. When we needed a lift, it was the big fella and a massive contested grab. This is what most of us have been wanting to see, and we are much better for it.

Hartigan - Typical Harto game, did some very good things and some WTF things. Becomes more critical if Talia misses games.

Brown - Solid, reliable, dependable.... we really missed him. Rarely beaten. Need him to be fit all year, small forwards give us trouble.

Eddie - Always buzzing around, making defenders panic and once again, give him space and its GAME OVER.

Atkins - Harsh judges in here, he was very very good. Came up big in the last quarter when we needed him to lift. Thats the level he can play at, and to beat the best we need him to get his hands dirty.

Douglas - Oh dear, cmon Dougy.... you know its time.

CEY - Another beast of a game from a guy who is making every post a winner.

Laird - Lifting again, perhaps the extra attention Smith gets is helping loosen him up. Won his fair share.

Milera - Dirty night, not in the best form but he will lift. Just seems to be picking poor options.

Smith - Turning the ball over a fair bit, uncharacteristic. Making up for it though, and his defensive efforts are getting better and better.

Keath - Sign him.... and sign him quickly. Just so good overhead, reads it fantastically.

ROB - Lets not forget hes only played 12 games too. Yes he played on rookies but he absolutely dominated them in every facet of the game. Growing week by week.

Murphy - Always wear a mouthguard.
Good review

Back