Review Good/Bad vs Richmond

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
That youtube video with a compilation of all the frees you were "robbed" of is gold. There were just as many that we didnt get.
I posted that video in here earlier today, but did not make it. It highlights Richmond's clear, deliberate, well-drilled rule-breaking methods which they've sustained and even honed since then. Holding the man by the arm, Rioli's flop, classics. Yes, gold.
"Just as many" as you didn't get? OK, show us the video. Prove it.

As for the 17-8 free count, that actually comes from Richmond's pressure; hard at the man. The greater the pressure, the more likely to give away free kicks. That pressure I can praise, even admire, but the missed frees in that video are from grubby play.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Have a look at the records for running at high speed.
Tom Scully holds 17 of the top 25 placings in the entire list, all in 2017. Crazy
He’s also in like 11 of the top 20 for distance covered in a game.

It might be time to pose an interesting question: are the players covering the most ground actually providing better value than the others, or it simply a symptom of being an athlete rather than a footballer? I have a similar question regarding the perpetual 3km run winners: do they correlate with the better/most effective players, or do they anticorrelate? (I suspect the latter)

It would be very interesting to do an analysis of these things, but I'm not going to do it. It's the old athlete vs. footballer question, as I see it.

I posted that video in here earlier today, but did not make it. It highlights Richmond's clear, deliberate, well-drilled rule-breaking methods which they've sustained and even honed since then. Holding the man by the arm, Rioli's flop, classics. Yes, gold.

As for the 17-8 free count, that actually comes from Richmond's pressure; hard at the man. The greater the pressure, the more likely to give away free kicks. That pressure I can praise, even admire, but the missed frees in that video are from grubby play.

So if we are such a hard tackling and hard over the ball side how do we GET so few free kicks?

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Jones covered 2.4 km at high speed and only got 3 disposals and 0 tackles?

Was he just doing repeat sprints in the forward pocket after half time?
Well to have a guess it mirrors Houli‘s sprint numbers so it may be his job.
Not defending cos he’s been underwhelming but maybe the focus is too narrow and needs to remember to create.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Have a look at the records for running at high speed.
Tom Scully holds 17 of the top 25 placings in the entire list, all in 2017. Crazy
He’s also in like 11 of the top 20 for distance covered in a game.
Yeah I did browse the records. He’s a runnin fool.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Jones covered 2.4 km at high speed and only got 3 disposals and 0 tackles?

Was he just doing repeat sprints in the forward pocket after half time?
He's been studying Riley Knight's game tapes

Jones seems to have the tank to cover the ground, and has a nice burst of pace, so you'd think it should be translatable into results.
But someone really needs to teach him where to run, so he's not just a headless chicken all game. He has no ball winning instincts.
Reckon up & down a wing, rather being stuck up forward would be a good start.

Watched Mcintosh cover a stack of ground & kick goals... & Jones has more talent & should be able to do the same.

Go the Guts

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mighty Double Blues
Richmond's ball movement was just silky a lot. Dozens of lookaway handballs over the shoulder, they are really at the top of their game. I didn't feel so bad about it last night knowing Port won't beat them. Side note, that last Riewolt shot on goal from the SW pocket, I was the closest spectator to him and gave him a 30 second relentless spray telling him how bad his kick would be, he nearly kicked it OOF on the opposite side, he had a bit of a smirk after it to me. :p

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
So if we are such a hard tackling and hard over the ball side how do we GET so few free kicks?
You do realise that: " As for the 17-8 free count, that actually comes from Richmond's pressure; hard at the man. The greater the pressure, the more likely to give away free kicks. That pressure I can praise, even admire ..." is a compliment, no matter how reluctant, right? Credit where it's due. Richmond's willingness to run and create space/choices for teammates is elite. If one of your blokes can't take or use the ball cleanly, he knocks it on to a teammate's advantage, or just to gain ground where your runners pounce.
As for your question, how do you not 'get' that? In the process of "hard tackling and hard over the ball" your blokes make errors and give away frees, as well as the deliberate holding/scragging/in-the-back that's a part of Richmond methodology.
You get fewer free kicks (sometimes) because the opposition don't hit you as hard as they're being hit, well, except when one of Rioli's flops or Jack's "he-pushed-me" forward star-jumps is rewarded :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Jones seems to have the tank to cover the ground, and has a nice burst of pace, so you'd think it should be translatable into results.
But someone really needs to teach him where to run, so he's not just a headless chicken all game. He has no ball winning instincts.
This.
Might have to do with reading the play eg RoB has a knack for being a kick away from the ball and works hard to get there to take those intercept marks, or teammate kicks.
If Jones' anticipation is off, he'd be doing a lot of running for no possessions.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I didn't feel so bad about it last night knowing Port won't beat them.
Why are you so sure?
On 8/8/20, PA 13.15 d. Richmond 11.6.
Hate to say it, but it was a cracker of a game at AO, worthy of a Grand Final.
Margin was 2.9. If PA kicked straighter would have been a hiding.

Go the Guts

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mighty Double Blues
Why are you so sure?
On 8/8/20, PA 13.15 d. Richmond 11.6.
Hate to say it, but it was a cracker of a game at AO, worthy of a Grand Final.
Margin was 2.9. If PA kicked straighter would have been a hiding.

Umm.........maybe coz Richmond were missing half their side in that game? And as a result they were in very poor form.
As opposed to now, where they are hitting peak form right when it matters. And they've had a massive mental confidence builder by winning at AO last night, where they will probably play at least 1 final.
Make no mistake, Richmond will give Port a lesson.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
1) Umm.........maybe coz Richmond were missing half their side in that game? And as a result they were in very poor form. As opposed to now,
2) where they are hitting peak form right when it matters.
3) And they've had a massive mental confidence builder by winning at AO last night, where they will probably play at least 1 final.
4) Make no mistake, Richmond will give Port a lesson.
Certainty and hyperbole goeth before a fall, or something like that.

1) PA held them scoreless in the final quarter that game, so Richmond appear to have run out of puff off a 4-day break.
I didn't realise Richmond also had 11 players missing (half their side) vs. PA from the team that beat the Crows last night. Who were they, please?
2) Richmond certainly look ominous, smothering the Cats last week. They do have a knack for peaking come Finals.
3) Richmond are Top-4 and the best team of the last 4 years, but whether they had a "massive confidence boost" from beating the bottom team is debatable. They'd certainly be happy about finishing third.
4) 'Sfunny about certainties in sport (and what people know, for that matter). They get beaten, sometimes shockingly so eg NM vs Crows 1997 GF for one.
You claimed you know that Port won't beat Richmond in the Finals coming up. How do you "know", please?
Do you have a DeLorean with special powers at 88m.p.h.? ;)

IF PA finish Top they might exit in straight sets --- we can only hope! --- and won't play Richmond at all.
Don't you mean that you think Richmond will probably beat PA, IF they meet in a 2020 Final? I can agree with that :) .

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
At least your boys can put this season to bed and focus on starting fresh next season. Have there been any trade whispers floating around regarding moves to the crows? Feel like the crows could snag a couple handy players over the off season. I keep seeing Jack Graham linked to the crows. I'm obviously biased, but I feel he'd do well over there. Please keep your hands off though.

Might sound like gloating but this is sincere, I've a soft spot for the crows because they are a big part of the memories of my first grand final. I was hoping you lot would be back around the mark in 2018 onwards and we could perhaps foster a little rivalry. This year was pretty disappointing from the outside and I know what it's like to win a spoon, so hopefully the crows bounce back quickly for you lot.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
1) Might sound like gloating but this is sincere, I've a soft spot for the crows because they are a big part of the memories of my first grand final.
2) I was hoping you lot would be back around the mark in 2018 onwards and we could perhaps foster a little rivalry.
Thank you for the sincere gloating. Most of the other Richmond posters in here have been merely annoying, gloating insincerely, but I nominate yours as Richmond-supporter-post-of-the-thread, with a prize hopefully of a little holiday for trolling :D.

I can't speak for 'us lot', but my personal view is that in a few short harmless-sounding sentences you managed to rub our noses in the 2017 GF loss (your 'disappointment' that we've proved not to be the rivals you hoped for is patronising, to say the least) and the fact we've claimed our first wooden spoon. Maybe we'll use Pick#1 in the drafts to get enough grubby, flopping players to be good enough for you.

1) Yes, it sounded like gloating, but the sincerity of it makes it ok; wholesome, even. I can't say that I hold St. Kilda ('97) or North Melbourne ('98) in such misty-eyed esteem. It would be insulting.
2) The rivalry is there from this side but you, Genghis, campaigner see it because Richmond have been so good, so mighty, and we've fallen so far that we're not really rivals to you. Just some lot you beat in your first grand final. And Saturday.

Might sound like salty resentment but this is sincere; gee, I hope we'll be strong/good enough one day to challenge your mighty Tigers in 'a little rivalry' --- just as long as we continue to lose, right? :rolleyes: ;)

LittleCrowBoy

All Australian
Mar 4, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Yep...a repeat of the "unsocial football" approach used by Hawthorn.
I fear only a Victorian team can get away with this approach while its still a VFL run compitition.

LittleCrowBoy

All Australian
Mar 4, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I find it funny that instead of Victorian "powerhouse" clubs humbly accepting they have clear advantages in hosting and controlling every aspect of the "National competition"
They instead have a complete arrogance, sense of entitlement and superiority complex that makes them almost unbearable to those outside the Vic bubble.
I live here in Vic.....and its the same attitude that lead to the secind Virus outbreak.
They might "own" the footy.....and the "most livable city in the world"(in their eyes) ....but the arrogance, selfishness, obnoxiousness etc is fast catching up with them.

Adelaide on the otherhand is a nice city filled with down to earth, friendly people (on the most part)
Im not jealous of what Victorians have...its made them horrible people (on the most part) ....i'll be moving out of this s**t hole when the borders open back up and bringing my family and life savings back to Adelaide.
My brothers family are doing the same.
Melbourne is a city in decline...if anything we should pity them.

Last edited:
Back