Review Good/Bad vs Richmond

LittleCrowBoy

All Australian
Mar 4, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bad calls absolutely changed the momentum. But we weren't good enough to claw it back.
Yes...let me guess...he thinks home ground advantage means nothing on GF day too.
Strange....because if it was changed to favour the top ranked team they would all squeal like stuffed pigs.
How convenient to support a currupt system when it favors you....and dismiss objections as " just sore losers"
Id have a lot more respect if they acknowledge the disadvantage we have and showed more modesty in winning.
I can honestly say I NEVER rubbed our success in 97 and 98 into opposition supporters faces....but thats just me....a friendly South Australian....not a arrogant Victorian....arragance is more contagious than Covid on this side of the border ;)

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I said I dont trust Hamish with first rounders. I like his drafting otherwise.

His talent is picking up good players late in the draft and rookies. When hes actually given first choice, he sucks ass. If you dont believe me, look at all our recent botched first rounders (Jones, McHenry, Gallucci). He gets just one of those right and we'd be way better off.

None of those mids have stacked up as half forwards in the handful of games they've gotten so far.

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
The good (just going from memory as its been a couple of days now):

Fogarty's second half.

Matching it with Richmond in intensity for a couple of extended patches, eg the later part of the second quartier

Ending the season knowing we have improved, but also knowing where the bar is, and it is a fair bit above us at the moment. If we hold our valuable players and do not recruit ready to go quality players, just relying on internal improvement I think we are about an 8th (if we have good run with injury) to 15th team next year.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Really good, thorough post:

I agree with this, albeit reluctantly and maybe with some envy too, since the Crows played a lot like that in 2017 and failed to take it to a higher level, as Richmond have. They took the best of our game in 2017, Hawthorn's in their three-peat, Sydney's relentlessness, then added Harwick's rule-breaking mongrel.
Their two-way running for each other is jaw-droppingly good. It's not just when one of their blokes gets the ball, either. If someone looks like getting the ball they have people running to space to provide the receive --- if not, they backtrack very quickly. If possession is taken/gained, only one or two of several runners are going to get the ball, but they run anyway and don't whinge or remonstrate if they don't get it. They are pro-active and the total opposite of lazy.
There's also the tap-to-advantage which they do consistently, and well. If they can't mark, they spoil. If they are not in a great position they do not take possession but tap or grub it to someone in the clear
AND
there is nearly always someone in the clear because they run so hard to create that. There are standouts like Dusty and Jack, but the other 20 play as well as each other. No weak links, all team players.
Somebody, or several, in their Club sat down, looked at the Comp. and Flag winners and said "OK, what do the best players do? What do the best teams do? That's what we're going to do". Their metamorphosis from mewling kitten in 2010 to the 2020 Tigers has been amazing, and instructional.

They're a treat to watch in full flight, until I remember. Oh wait, it's Richmond :(, ggrrrrr.
Watching Richmond highlighted how we still need a very big injection of speed into the side. We fixed our contested issues somewhat with putting Laird in the middle, but there's still no speed there and we're generally still slow up front with Tex, Fog, Himmelberg and Lynch in the side.

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Watching Richmond highlighted how we still need a very big injection of speed into the side. We fixed our contested issues somewhat with putting Laird in the middle, but there's still no speed there and we're generally still slow up front with Tex, Fog, Himmelberg and Lynch in the side.
Chayce Jones to the rescue!

Scrogdogg

Club Legend
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Watching the replay and Ricciuto mentions that up until a week or so ago when he got overtaken by M Crouch, ROB was our No 1 tackler.

I know some players have missed games here and there but that is an absolute indictment on us
Good:
Effort
Fog's kicking for goal.
ROB is a star, his actual ruck work has been better that last few weeks.
I think some of the cultural issues have been sorted out.
Nicks has been so good for us this year, always positive and if you compare him to Rhys Shaw, he looks like he has a plan going forward.

Richmond will win the flag. Super hard at the ball, elite spread, elite tackling, elite defending and their ball movement is lightning.

Bad:
Our midfield got beaten up by an A grade unit. (hack kicks, bad panic handballs)
Kicking for goal held us out the game in the first half.

Ugly.
The confusion around holding the ball is insane. The rule needs to be simplified, trying to get umpires to judge things with "gut feel" is madness. Ask anyone how they feel about dropping the ball. stupid.

Yep on the holding ball debacle created by afl. Years back the rule was changed so you could not drag the ball in when on the ground. Now it is fine as long as you keep juggling and pushing it around so that the ball is 'still moving'. The rule makers and interpreters are mind boggling in their incompetence at 'improving' the game. Do they not have any idea ?

Scrogdogg

Club Legend
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Really good, thorough post:

I agree with this, albeit reluctantly and maybe with some envy too, since the Crows played a lot like that in 2017 and failed to take it to a higher level, as Richmond have. They took the best of our game in 2017, Hawthorn's in their three-peat, Sydney's relentlessness, then added Harwick's rule-breaking mongrel.
Their two-way running for each other is jaw-droppingly good. It's not just when one of their blokes gets the ball, either. If someone looks like getting the ball they have people running to space to provide the receive --- if not, they backtrack very quickly. If possession is taken/gained, only one or two of several runners are going to get the ball, but they run anyway and don't whinge or remonstrate if they don't get it. They are pro-active and the total opposite of lazy.
There's also the tap-to-advantage which they do consistently, and well. If they can't mark, they spoil. If they are not in a great position they do not take possession but tap or grub it to someone in the clear
AND
there is nearly always someone in the clear because they run so hard to create that. There are standouts like Dusty and Jack, but the other 20 play as well as each other. No weak links, all team players.
Somebody, or several, in their Club sat down, looked at the Comp. and Flag winners and said "OK, what do the best players do? What do the best teams do? That's what we're going to do". Their metamorphosis from mewling kitten in 2010 to the 2020 Tigers has been amazing, and instructional.

They're a treat to watch in full flight, until I remember. Oh wait, it's Richmond :(, ggrrrrr.

You sir are a very aware football person. Richmond have been steadily increasing their skill with and use of the tap to advantage for years. In close situations they are always looking to move the ball clear rather than simply always taking a contested possession. It's a big coaching part of their game style.

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi guys,

Wanted to wait till now to allow the dust to settle and not come off as a troll. Just wanted to pop in and say you guys are 100% on the right track. I have seen all tiger games this year and no side, not even in our losses came close to the hard tackling, throw everything type footy your team displayed against us. If you maintain that as a foundation stone going forward, you will shoot up the ladder, of that I have zero doubt.

Good luck in the off season

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
None of those mids have stacked up as half forwards in the handful of games they've gotten so far.
Jones got played in his preferred position and sucked. Ned doesnt look like he has the body to play midfield . Gallucci is essentially similar to Jones in many ways only the coaches dont like him and he did his achilles in his last chance year.

It's too fatiqing to fight, maybe disagree is a better choice of words. Oh tripemeister.

It's not much of anything. You come in, flail around, inevitably hit yourself more than anyone else, then disappear until there's something more asinine to add.

You think that has any real or lasting effect on others? Come on.

I can honestly say I NEVER rubbed our success in 97 and 98 into opposition supporters faces....but thats just me....a friendly South Australian....not a arrogant Victorian....arragance is more contagious than Covid on this side of the border ;)
Back then, same. But now? After the s**t we've copped for years, if we ever win another GF in my lifetime you better believe I'll be in every single person's face who ever gave me s**t over the camp, the GF loss, the spoon, all the players leaving...

Oct 17, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins
It's not much of anything. You come in, flail around, inevitably hit yourself more than anyone else, then disappear until there's something more asinine to add.

You think that has any real or lasting effect on others? Come on.

Hah maybe I can't be bothered to as you say "flail around" on a regular basis. I've much more interesting things to do in the short amount of time left to me.

I leave that sort of rubbish to others such as yourself. You seem to pretend to be the master at it.

FTR when I say something like that it's because I've actually got it first hand , not reguritated crap.

Tell me oh wise one what has your love child Fogarty actually achieved in his career so far? You'll struggle, because to date he's been a major disappointment.

I come in here mostly to get a laugh these days. Try doing that and you life may just may become a much happier one.

Hah maybe I can't be bothered to as you say "flail around" on a regular basis. I've much more interesting things to do in the short amount of time left to me.

I leave that sort of rubbish to others such as yourself. You seem to pretend to be the master at it.

FTR when I say something like that it's because I've actually got it first hand , not reguritated crap.

Tell me oh wise one what has your love child Fogarty actually achieved in his career so far? You'll struggle, because to date he's been a major disappointment.

I come in here mostly to get a laugh these days. Try doing that and you life may just may become a much happier one.

If you're going to posture, can you at least get someone else to read it to make sure that its passably coherent first? A team of cryptographers working around the clock couldn't make an interesting post out of that tripe.

What do you think that a player of his age, experience and position should have 'achieved' by now?

He tracks fine measured against the elite key forwards in the competition in the league by the same points of their careers and he's already displayed capacity to:

1) Kick hauls, including a 5 goaler haul against the reigning premier on their home deck;

2) Kick match winning goals

3) Physically impact against far more seasoned players and teams.

He literally just had his best performance for the year where he kicked all of our goals for the second half, including a nice contested mark / goal and some decent lead work.

And he's played only 24 games, with almost no continuity, and hasnt turned 21 years old yet, and plays key forward in the worst team in football with coaching so bad that the position coach literally just got sacked.

But hasnt won a coleman yet, what a spud.

If he's a major disappointment to you, it's only because you're bereft of the slightest ******* clue.

Oct 17, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins
If you're going to posture, can you at least get someone else to read it to make sure that its passably coherent first? A team of cryptographers working around the clock couldn't make an interesting post out of that tripe.

What do you think that a player of his age, experience and position should have 'achieved' by now?

He tracks fine measured against the elite key forwards in the competition in the league by the same points of their careers and he's already displayed capacity to:

1) Kick hauls, including a 5 goaler haul against the reigning premier on their home deck;

2) Kick match winning goals

3) Physically impact against far more seasoned players and teams.

He literally just had his best performance for the year where he kicked all of our goals for the second half, including a nice contested mark / goal and some decent lead work.

And he's played only 24 games, with almost no continuity, and hasnt turned 21 years old yet, and plays key forward in the worst team in football with coaching so bad that the position coach literally just got sacked.

But hasnt won a coleman yet, what a spud.

If he's a major disappointment to you, it's only because you're bereft of the slightest ******* clue.

Yep, definitely your love child.

Back