• Tom Doedee

• Jordon Butts

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Think the Battle contact had an impact

20230514-v-stk-c2-gif.1689939

Anyway, think time to give this a rest.
Im not having a go, there is just something about your gif which makes it look like Battle had way more impact than he really did. Im not saying you made it look that way on purpose or anything.

1 hour 22 minutes in

It looks to me like Pedlar stops and is then pushed which makes it look like he took a step.
I must be living under a rock, never knew that AFL hosted full replays of matches.

On scrolling through the match, the ease with which Rankine can step through people is outstanding. Just like the very last centre bounce of the game.

Need to see more of him at the centre bounces.

Last edited:
My first gif is a bit faster than actual speed.
That could be it. It happens so quick it almost looks like Battle is dragging him by the back of his jumper. It's bizarre how different it looks when you change the angle and slow it down. Some weird perspective s**t going on here.

Okay, so watching the replay.

9:16 to go in the third.

Wtf was with the call when Pedlar took a mark in the goal square? Ump never called play on, so the defender obviously could not have legally knocked the ball out.

In the last replay of the goal, it almost looks like the umpire calls for a 50 (or just to bring it back to Pedlar?), and then waves it on like advantage as Keays kicked the goal - but can there be an advantage called after a mark (or a 50)? Strange call. Doesn't matter in the end, but it was confusing to me!
Should have been a 50m penalty.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I honestly think the umpire got confused in that whole build up. Like good on Keays for being aware there seeing we gave up two goals in the showdown for that half-motion Pedlar made being called play on, but it was a bit of a mess. I assume it was a 'I don't want to sort this out, and a goal was scored, so eh'?
This is the issue with four umpires. Spreading the talent base.

The fourth umpires adds no value, but means every game has a lesser competent umpire.

You’re right..

It shouldve been called back, the 50m given and Pedlar made to take the kick.. thats the rules.

Now theres almost a 0.000001% chance Pedlar wouldnt have kicked it if this hadve happened so “no harm done” as they say..

But what if he did actually miss it?.. slipped over and shanked the kick into the post..

What if it was in a final and there was a goal in it?..

Its yet another example of the umps not consistently following the rules of the game. At times just making it up as they go along. With some umps making decisions others wouldnt.

You’ve got rules.. consistently stick to the fxxkn things. No matter how ridiculous it wouldve seemed making Pedlar go back and take his kick.
Another complication with such a wrong decision, betting.

Given the AFL has such tight relationships with bookmakers, these errors can be seen in a sinister light.

Better for a bookie/punters for Pedlar or Keays to kick that goal?

This.
I've been away from here for about 3-4 hours and it's still the hot topic.
It's fascinating to me how the same thing, viewed so many times (even frame by frame?? :oops:), can be interpreted in so many different ways.
I reckon we've all said as much as we wanted to say.

For me, I'm just happy the goal stands and we won, convincingly.

Another complication with such a wrong decision, betting.

Given the AFL has such tight relationships with bookmakers, these errors can be seen in a sinister light.

Better for a bookie/punters for Pedlar or Keays to kick that goal?

All of the vagueness in the rules with varying interpretations in the same game, the tribunal having no consistency, the shitty cameras for goal reviews etc. These are all controllable things that can be improved and the fact they keep doubling down on this shitshow each year has me convinced it's a feature, not a bug.

I must be living under a rock, never knew that AFL hosted full replays of matches.

On scrolling through the match, the ease with which Rankine can step through people is outstanding. Just like the very last centre bounce of the game.

Need to see more of him at the centre bounces.
Agree.
His first goal is magic; speed, evasion and Dusty-like fend.
His second is pure small forward/rover skill.

He has a huge tank and needs to be where the ball is more often.

(btw, I only found those AFL replays after the PA game, but there hasn't been a lot to watch again last 5 years :'()

I’m with FR0GGY

Even though it was clearly his intention to play on, he didn‘t do what was physically necessary for it to be play on.

So it’s not play on.

The more important question is why the f*ck did he want to play on? It’s not 2000 anymore where you get put on the angle. If you take a mark in the goalsquare, you get lined up from the centre of the goals now.

Somebody tell him!

The more important question is why the f*ck did he want to play on? It’s not 2000 anymore where you get put on the angle. If you take a mark in the goalsquare, you get lined up from the centre of the goals now.

Somebody tell him!
Probably the only rule change I've never heard complained about. The old system was bullshit. It makes no sense to punish a player with a harder kick in that situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just working up the score analysis for the Bulldogs game, thought I'd report back on the Saints game...

The Saints score of 69 was their 5th lowest for the year, after 60, 64, 64, 67. And below their median of 72.

The Crows score of 121 was our highest for the year. The previous highest against for the Saints was 83, and their median score against was 65.

Think as much as anything the Battle contact made him change his mind about kicking it, because it would have got smothered. He bailed part way through

Probably the only rule change I've never heard complained about. The old system was bullshit. It makes no sense to punish a player with a harder kick in that situation.
If the player is an idiot he deserves to be punished
Mark it on the goal line 1m off center - cool, go back 1 meter, tell the umpire you're doing a placekick, place the ball on the ground, and just tap it over. Easier goal (reduce risk of it being touched on the mark) but no - footballers are dumb.

Mark it on the goal line 1m off center - cool, go back 1 meter, tell the umpire you're doing a placekick, place the ball on the ground, and just tap it over. Easier goal (reduce risk of it being touched on the mark) but no - footballers are dumb.
If you're doing a place kick, do you get to place it on the mark? What about the person standing the mark?

Ok to settle this once and for all I spoke to Luke and he explained what happened.
He saw as he was going up for the mark that Keays was nearby, and was worried that he would try something to snaffle an easy goal for himself. He thought about putting it straight through from the line, but then remembered what he’d been told by his line coach about having to get better at balancing being sensible and instinctive. So, he chose not to kick it, and to calm down instead.

Luke loves music, and loves dancing even more, and remembered that recently they had been asked to choose a song to be played after kicking a goal. He chose an obscure song by someone called ‘Oliver tree’ but his second choice would have been Nutbush City Limits. He decided that to calm down he’d do a couple of steps of the Nutbush on the mark, and he’d just gotten started when he felt a whack on his arm. He assumed it was Ben Keays trying some bullshit and thought WTF and threw up his hands to tell Ben to * off but the ball got dislodged and then it was over in a flash.

Last edited:
Ok to settle this once and for all I spoke to Luke and he explained what happened.
He saw as he was going up for the mark that Keays was nearby, and was worried that he try something to snaffle an easy goal for himself. He thought about putting it straight through from the line, but then remembered what he’d been told by his line coach about having to get better at balancing being sensible and instinctive. So, he chose not to kick it, and to calm down instead.

Luke loves music, and loves dancing even more, and remembered that recently they had been asked to choose a song to be played after kicking a goal. He chose an obscure song by someone called ‘Oliver tree’ but his second choice would have been Nutbush City Limits. He decided that to calm down he’d do a couple of steps of the Nutbush on the mark, and he’d just gotten started when he felt a whack on his arm. He assumed it was Ben Keays trying some bullshit and thought WTF and threw up his hands to tell Ben to * off but the ball got dislodged and then it was over in a flash.
Even more far-fetched/sillier than my Aliens lurking with a Drop-O-Beam.
I like it.

All of the vagueness in the rules with varying interpretations in the same game, the tribunal having no consistency, the shitty cameras for goal reviews etc. These are all controllable things that can be improved and the fact they keep doubling down on this shitshow each year has me convinced it's a feature, not a bug.
It's a bush league

Talk about idiocy

Back