Review Good/Bad vs St Kilda - Rd 13

Remove this Banner Ad

So would Hunter get rubbed out if mackay got injured?

what if both players got injured? Do they both get rubbed out?

why isnt david king saying that hunter should have pulled out of the contest,

both players arrived at the ball at the same time. One at greater pace than the other.

umpires called play on because it was... wait for it... play on.

there’s just no case to answer there.
You chose to bump, you are responsible for the other person's injury. Both players chose to bump.

If DMac was the one with the broken jaw, Hunter would be in trouble.

Probably not right as it was two guys going at it, but that is the interpretation.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Christian just saving everyone time. No matter what he ruled, it would have ended up at the tribunal.
Basically it is Christian throwing his hands up and saying "I've got no idea".

I genuinely can't see how it warrants a suspension though. Mackay does everything right, including having his eyes on the ball and even getting hands on the ball. There is no malice.
It is the injury and chosing to bump that is the issue and the way the AFL are judging such acts.

Really is just a genuine Footy collusion.

You chose to bump, you are responsible for the other person's injury. Both players chose to bump.

Probably not right as it was two guys going at it, but that is the interpretation.

Neither player “bumped”.

It was great to win, but if we're serious and objective, that was a crap St Kilda side that could barely put a side out, who dominated if for over a half of football.

We were atrocious.and St Kilda were always going to fade.

I do celebrate the come back and mental application to come back and win, but there are alot of problems and things we must work on.

Not sure the crows would have won of it were any other team.
Yeah I agree with this. St kilda were shocking and were 37 points up. We were at 2020 levels for much of the game and a late comeback (against such poor opposition) shouldn't paper over what was a disgusting performance. If we'd lost that the mood would be very different.

Yeah I agree with this. St kilda were shocking and were 37 points up. We were at 2020 levels for much of the game and a late comeback (against such poor opposition) shouldn't paper over what was a disgusting performance. If we'd lost that the mood would be very different.

If my aunty had balls…

This team has overachieved so far this year. There has to be some credit given for that.

The last half is the complete opposite of a disgusting performance. The Saints still had a lot of their best core players out there, Steele, Crouch, Ryder, King, Wilkie etc. The quality they had missing is no different to players we’ve been missing all season. Difference is, they’re coming off a finals win and we are coming off a wooden spoon, they should be well ahead of us and yet they aren’t. That’s in part to them performing poorly and also us performing well above expectations.

Winning that game doesn’t paper over a damn thing. It showed that we need to work on our starts to games as that’s 2 weeks in a row now that it’s been poor. However, in both games we have managed to recover within the game and get back in the contest. Grinding out wins like that is very important for a rebuilding side, as you can’t always be at your best, but you still need to find a way to win ugly.

What the hell does ungraded mean? The MRO just threw in the towel?
AFL are clueless as usual.

I don't believe Mackay should be playing in a rebuild side unless we have no other options, but in this was a an unfortunate football incident. Mackay had his arms going out for the ball... & he was not attempting to bump Hunter Clark. If he was attempting to bump, then he should get plenty of games... but that wasn't his intention.

What a difference it makes when you place value in blokes who have a football IQ.

We know Fogarty has it, but Thilthorpe also has it, in spades.

Now can the tribunal please do its thing for us.
Agreed, that football intelligence is bloody important.

You can see the players who have it & those who never will.

Watching dumb footballers is frustrating, so pleasing we are recruiting in some smarter ones.

But Mackay's intention was to get the ball not to bump...

Thilthorpe is absolutely not slow, in fact he's quite quick and agile for a 200cm developing youngster.
Granted, for his size he's not too bad, but if you look at his possessions his opponent was in his back pocket every time, and he has to take contested marks on most occasions. There are no easy balls, whereas the likes of King were able to lead out in front on a few occasions and get easy, uncontested marks.

If Mackay is suspended what the AFL are essentially saying is "don't go too hard at a 50:50 ground ball". There's two issues with this:

1. It directly effects the fabric of football. It's not behind play, and it's not only one player going for the ball. It's two players contesting a ball. That IS football.

2. The AFL need to provide coaches and players with an alternative action to teach and learn. For example, the sliding/below the knees rule - they explained it, provided alternatives etc. The AFL can't just say "Mackay should have taken due care for Clark's safety" and leave it at that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last half is the complete opposite of a disgusting performance. The Saints still had a lot of their best core players out there, Steele, Crouch, Ryder, King, Wilkie etc. The quality they had missing is no different to players we’ve been missing all season. Difference is, they’re coming off a finals win and we are coming off a wooden spoon, they should be well ahead of us and yet they aren’t. That’s in part to them performing poorly and also us performing well above expectations.

Winning that game doesn’t paper over a damn thing. It showed that we need to work on our starts to games as that’s 2 weeks in a row now that it’s been poor. However, in both games we have managed to recover within the game and get back in the contest. Grinding out wins like that is very important for a rebuilding side, as you can’t always be at your best, but you still need to find a way to win ugly.
Surely you're taking the piss yeah?

The comeback win was great but you're kidding yourself if you don't think that wasn't anything other than a severely depleted Saints team we beat especially compared to our injury list.

Injured

Rowan Marshall
Zak Jones
Jade Gresham
Jake Carlisle
Dan Hanneberry
Jarryn Geary
Ben Patton
Dean Kent
James Frawley

Missing for personal reasons on the weekend Tim Membrey and Seb Ross.

Surely you're taking the piss yeah?

The comeback win was great but you're kidding yourself if you don't think that was a severely depleted Saints team we beat especially compared to our injury list.

Injured

Rowan Marshall
Zak Jones
Jade Gresham
Jake Carlisle
Dan Hanneberry
Jarryn Geary
Ben Patton
Dean Kent
James Frawley

Missing for personal reasons on the weekend Tim Membrey and Seb Ross.
Which is why I picked us with these outs.

Marshall is the big out as he important to their structure.

Not sure you can count the perennially injured Hannaberry or the past it Crawley... but no doubting they had a huge chunk of outs.

Just rewatched the second half. Jones was actually really good from the third quarter. Other than the one time where he got caught out, he was very strong with some excellent penetrating kicks into the forward 50
Put some meat on his bones +3 or 4 more years' experience of AFL pace and physicality and he might become the mid they drafted him as :thumbsu: .

Last quarter we played well in the conditions. Good pressure and a hack it forward mentality. Tbh I think we generally play well in the rain.

3rd quarter we were rubbish but just managed to be slightly less rubbish than the Saints, which was a reverse of the first half.

IMO Saints were worse opposition than when we played North. It was one of the worst games I've watched up until the last quarter (even considering how slippery the ball was).

A win from behind is always good for a young team (no matter the opposition). That, and a few individual performances were the only positives.

But Mackay's intention was to get the ball not to bump...
But we don't know that, do we? It certainly looks like Mackay was focused on the ball, but only he would know.
Interpretation of 'intention' is inadmissable in a Court of Law because it goes to knowing the mind/thoughts of another.

I can't see anything in it. Both appeared to be going for the ball, but Mackay was at full steam. While the impact was great and the consequence was a broken jaw, I thought it was just the type of collision both Coaches would have wanted, both hard at the ball. Also in Mackay's favour was the Umpire's call of 'play on'.

But we don't know that, do we? It certainly looks like Mackay was focused on the ball, but only he would know.
Interpretation of 'intention' is inadmissable in a Court of Law because it goes to knowing the mind/thoughts of another.

I can't see anything in it. Both appeared to be going for the ball, but Mackay was at full steam. While the impact was great and the consequence was a broken jaw, I thought it was just the type of collision both Coaches would have wanted, both hard at the ball. Also in Mackay's favour was the Umpire's call of 'play on'.
Lol who bumps with their hands out in front...

Just think about it.

That Thilthorpe free, did the umpire just make a very good call, that most can't appreciate?

The AFL maybe need to make a comment in support of the umpire.

Looks like as the ball gets to Thilthorpe and Howard, it's only Thilthorpe who gets hands to it, it pops up, he reaches to complete the mark and is grabbed by Howard, he then doesn't complete the mark.

It was a live marking contest, you can't grab the guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back