Review Good/Bad vs St Kilda - Rd 13

Oct 20, 2015
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
That Thilthorpe free, did the umpire just make a very good call, that most can't appreciate?

The AFL maybe need to make a comment in support of the umpire.

Looks like as the ball gets to Thilthorpe and Howard, it's only Thilthorpe who gets hands to it, it pops up, he reaches to complete the mark and is grabbed by Howard, he then doesn't complete the mark.

It was a live marking contest, you can't grab the guy.

TT's right arm is clearly chopped/held, gets paid all the time when someone is on the lead for exactly the same thing, it's not controversial at all, it's just that the close up you cant see TT's right side

Yeah I watched it. Caro had a red-hot dig at them; Kornes followed, sheep that he is :huh:. Lloydy stayed out of it, very fairly I thought, because he didn't know the emotional state of the players' partners.
Family comes first.

I reckon the Saints lost that game because they ran out of gas, for whatever reason, and the Crows' pressure ran over them.

They definitely ran out of gas.

I thought we looked pretty lethargic too, with so many tired looking dump kicks and kicks around the body. We were definitely fitter than them though.

I think the bye has come at a good time for us.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
The AFL will be on a very slippery slope though, if they rule that accidental contact between two players contesting the ball, is now outlawed as well.
VERY slippery slope, for sure.
Think of clashes where two blokes are running at a high ball from different directions, both watching the ball, then collide front on and one of them is injured or concussed. Should the other player be suspended?
(of course not, imo)

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why? They are right?

You can't just Pike out on your team when it's your last chance to push for finals for no good reason. One of them has 6 week old twins with no health issues there wasn't a medical emergency and the others wife is due in 3 weeks time there was no reason for either of those players to miss the game.

If you want to spend time with your new family take paternity leave don't pick and choose which games you will and won't play.

We obviously don't know the details, but my general take without specific details...

When getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, that SHOULD put you into CEO or business owner with people depending on you territory/expectations, not a 9-5 job, miss a week, no problem, we'll bring someone else in to cover your shift.

Yeah going into a hub was inconvenient, but it wouldn't be that different to the stresses placed on people also paid several hundred thousand dollars a year, people working 12-16+ hour days trying to save their business during covid.

Help can be hired when on that kind of money.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
We obviously don't know the details, but my general take without specific details...

When getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, that SHOULD put you into CEO or business owner with people depending on you territory/expectations, not a 9-5 job, miss a week, no problem, we'll bring someone else in to cover your shift.

Yeah going into a hub was inconvenient, but it wouldn't be that different to the stresses placed on people also paid several hundred thousand dollars a year, people working 12-16+ hour days trying to save their business during covid.

Help can be hired when on that kind of money.
You're right we don't know all the details but the details that we do know that Stkilda leaders asked them to stay and there was no emergency medical issue but still left added on to the fact how privileged AFL players work life balance and salary is seems a bit like a cop out to other players in the team working their ass off.

They definitely ran out of gas.

I thought we looked pretty lethargic too, with so many tired looking dump kicks and kicks around the body. We were definitely fitter than them though.

I think the bye has come at a good time for us.

I disagree with them running out of gas. Saints panicked under a bit of pressure and mentally fell apart in the 3rd quarter.

It all comes back to two moments. If Lonie doesn't go for a snap 35 out on a slight angle, or if Lonie doesn't blow a 2 on 1 in their forward line, over kicking it for a point, the Saints likely snuff out our bit of momentum and go on to win by 4 goals. Their 4th quarter was eerily reminiscent of our 4th against Hawthorn, where they had been put under pressure and just dropped their collective bundle, becoming very reactive.

Faaarrk

Maybe later
Jul 27, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why? They are right?

You can't just Pike out on your team when it's your last chance to push for finals for no good reason. One of them has 6 week old twins with no health issues there wasn't a medical emergency and the others wife is due in 3 weeks time there was no reason for either of those players to miss the game.

If you want to spend time with your new family take paternity leave don't pick and choose which games you will and won't play.
As far as the media is reporting that's all there was.
Regardless, if my partner/ family needed me then * work, it comes second.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
TT's right arm is clearly chopped/held, gets paid all the time when someone is on the lead for exactly the same thing, it's not controversial at all, it's just that the close up you cant see TT's right side
The issue was the umpire didn't explain the free well at all. Just needed to say it was a marking contest and you chopped the arms, instead of whatever he said about how it was a marking contest and you need to let him mark it.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
The issue was the umpire didn't explain the free well at all. Just needed to say it was a marking contest and you chopped the arms, instead of whatever he said about how it was a marking contest and you need to let him mark it.
I sure he gave a holding free because Howards left hand was over Thilthorpe shoulder so he was holding and preventing him from the marking contest, somehow the commentator didn't get what the umpire gave the free for even with the slow motion replays probably since technically it should have been high contact.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
It's either 0 or 3. If they decide he's guilty, it's negligent/high contact/severe impact, which is 3 weeks. However, they also have the option of deciding that it was an accidental collision, between two players competing for the ball. There is no suggestion that DMac opted to bump (unlike Dangerfield in R1), given that his eyes are always on the ball, and his arms are outstretched to the point where he gets at least one hand on the pill.

There are solid precedents for arguing the latter. There is also a strong push to punish players who make contact with the head.

It could go either way.
Yep agree.

Guilty it has to be 3 plus. And sets a precedent that even if you hit a player in a Footy contest you are responsible for their wellbeing. Brings any contact injury into this scenario.

Not Guilty. Sanity prevails.

A Guilty verdict really should be a game changer if they apply the same standard to every contact injury.

Two guys going the ball, wasn't even a bump, one comes off second best

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Surely you're taking the piss yeah?

The comeback win was great but you're kidding yourself if you don't think that wasn't anything other than a severely depleted Saints team we beat especially compared to our injury list.

Injured

Rowan Marshall
Zak Jones
Jade Gresham
Jake Carlisle
Dan Hanneberry
Jarryn Geary
Ben Patton
Dean Kent
James Frawley

Missing for personal reasons on the weekend Tim Membrey and Seb Ross.

Of that list, Marshall is good and Jones is okay but burns it. Gresham and Hannebury barely play and the rest are spuds.

FFS, we had more decent players out than them.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Surely you're taking the piss yeah?

The comeback win was great but you're kidding yourself if you don't think that wasn't anything other than a severely depleted Saints team we beat especially compared to our injury list.

Injured

Rowan Marshall
Zak Jones
Jade Gresham
Jake Carlisle
Dan Hanneberry
Jarryn Geary
Ben Patton
Dean Kent
James Frawley

Missing for personal reasons on the weekend Tim Membrey and Seb Ross.
Hannebry and Frawley are both cooked (if you include them as out I might as well included a cooked Lynch who was missing), Paton and Kent are borderline in their best 22 so I have them missing 7 first choice players (6 if you think a 32 year old Geary is done as well) compared to us missing 5 in Talia, M.Crouch, Milera, Brown and Murphy (who has been very good early in the season). Like the commentator said at the start of the bounce, a lot has been made about the Saints outs but we had as much outs as them.

Last edited:

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Fair call! :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Mind you, I've seen marks paid for shorter kicks.
True but even they would know the length of the goal square is 9m and Thilthorpe kicked it a meter outside it directly in front, if the umpire can't use that as an excellent vision gauge then wow.

Jirkago75

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I disagree with them running out of gas. Saints panicked under a bit of pressure and mentally fell apart in the 3rd quarter.

It all comes back to two moments. If Lonie doesn't go for a snap 35 out on a slight angle, or if Lonie doesn't blow a 2 on 1 in their forward line, over kicking it for a point, the Saints likely snuff out our bit of momentum and go on to win by 4 goals. Their 4th quarter was eerily reminiscent of our 4th against Hawthorn, where they had been put under pressure and just dropped their collective bundle, becoming very reactive.
Maybe they thought we were complete easy beats and didn’t need a full team

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah nah it was soft.

We get softer free kicks called against us multiple times every single week. Much, much softer than that. There was actually contact over the shoulder for a start. We get phantom decisions called against us regularly.

You can’t pick and choose to criticise that one.

Back