• Patrick Parnell

• Harry Schoenberg

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I've gone back and looked at how everyone has been voting on the "who played well" polls every week (round 4 onward), and done some averages to find our best players as voted by you on BigFooty.

Very interesting stuff so far

Top 5 Players
(Not in order)

Jordan Dawson
Taylor Walker
Rory Laird
Sam Berry
Jake Soligo

I can absolutely guarantee you this will not be the top 5 in the B&F at the Crows but it's hard to argue with really

Senior Players
Rory Laird - 49%*
Taylor Walker - 60%
Jordan Dawson - 65%

Ben Keays - 37%
Tom Doedee - 30%

Reilly O'Brien - 24%
Brodie Smith - 20%
Lachlan Murphy - 17%
Luke Brown - 11%
Matt Crouch - 11%
Wayne Milera - 11%

These are diabolically bad numbers for some players. On average only 20% of people think Brodie Smith plays well in a given week. Yikes! 11% for Luke Brown and he played 11 games!

Up and Comers

50+ % range
Sam Berry
Jake Soligo

30-50%
Brayden Cook - how has he not played more games
Will Hamill
Jackson Hately
Chayce Jones - maybe a surprise to some but he was well rated in earlier rounds
Shane McAdam
Patrick Parnell

20-30%
Billy Frampton
Elliott Himmelberg
Mitch Hinge - not well rated around here really, slides under the radar
Nick Murray
Josh Rachele - had a poor run of form
James Rowe
Lachlan Sholl
Kieran Strachan - slightly better rating than O'Brien
Riley Thilthorpe - only just building into it

Below 20%
Lachlan Gollant - counting started after his excellent Port game
Ned McHenry - how is he still in the team
Harry Schoenberg - poor year from him

*the percentage of people that believe the player has played well in a given week, averaged over all weeks played

Brayden Cook, how has he not played more games? Did you watch the game today? They keep giving the kid a crack and he’s just not close to AFL standard yet. We’re trying to get minutes into him but he’s not remotely capable of making a contribution at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Brayden Cook, how has he not played more games? Did you watch the game today? They keep giving the kid a crack and he’s just not close to AFL standard yet. We’re trying to get minutes into him but he’s not remotely capable of making a contribution at the moment.

According to how everyone has been voting in the polls this year he's actually been one of our better players on a per game basis

I wouldnt be too hard on Cook. I would like to see him stay in the side and see if he can restart his development. If we dont give him greater exposure then he will slow his development and from what I have heard on here he has significant potential. Leave him in the team. its not going to hurt us and god forbid we need to develop players. I thought that Hamill showed more today. He just needs more games.

Players we think are in better than season average form over the last 4 weeks:

Berry
Thilthorpe
Hamill
Laird
Hinge
Schoenberg
Murray

Players in season average form

Milera - rated in horrible form for the season
Murphy - rated in horrible form for the season
Crouch - rated in horrible form for the season
Butts
Parnell
Soligo

Players in below average form: everyone else

I had to head off at half time, so didn't see the second half.

But on McHenry - He has massive deficiencies in our game, but we also have massive deficiencies in our team structure. And we're a worse team without him.

Need to move thilthorpe into the ruck and go in with a smaller forward line. Right now we need him simply for his pressure. But with a smaller forward line, we dont need a designated player like McHenry for that.

McHenry is no good.

Last edited:
I've posted before about Schoenberg's lack of defensive accountability (zero).
He should not be selected again until he does (much, much) more when opponents have the ball.
This is why the people who bemoan why players are stuck in the SANFL, should understand why .....it's not talent, but application and dedication

Why is Duursma lamenting in the reserves, after a glorious & heralded start to his career ......application, motivation, and working hard to improve ....it came too easy, too soon

Schoenberg did some nice things, just not enough to say he had a good game ......he's capable of so much more, and he's stagnated this year

Cook was horrible .....made 2 mistakes one after the other, due to weak uncompetitive efforts .....nowhere near ready & would expect he'll spend the rest of the year in the SANFL ......the kid though is a genuine talent, if he wants it enough

This is why the people who bemoan why players are stuck in the SANFL, should understand why .....it's not talent, but application and dedication

Why is Duursma lamenting in the reserves, after a glorious & heralded start to his career ......application, motivation, and working hard to improve ....it came too easy, too soon

Schoenberg did some nice things, just not enough to say he had a good game ......he's capable of so much more, and he's stagnated this year

Cook was horrible .....made 2 mistakes one after the other, due to weak uncompetitive efforts .....nowhere near ready & would expect he'll spend the rest of the year in the SANFL ......the kid though is a genuine talent, if he wants it enough
Yes, application from focus/concentration. Determination.

I noticed one thing yesterday which troubled me; third quarter I think.
Schoenberg was about a metre from (behind) a Sydney player who marked in their F50, pretty much uncontested. Schoenberg put his arms out in appeal, shook his head and looked around as if to say "Hey, who was supposed to be stopping this bloke?" or "What was I supposed to do?". At the time, I thought "That's on YOU {Schoenberg], mate".

Like Duursma (possibly), Schoenberg seems to have been affected by his early success and praise from last year without realising he was going to cop extra attention from opposition Coaches/players.
Then there are players like Berry and Soligo who lift to the new level and seem to enjoy the challenges of taking the pressure that goes with it.
Berry's individual efforts yesterday were outstanding; strong, aggressive and team-lifting.Those two goals reminded me of Petracca. Berry has a way to go, but I've loved watching him improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rating of Ned above the likes of Murray and Hamill just shows what a farce these ratings are

And ROB as our 4th best??? Good lord.
I always find there's something odd about those ratings, I know what I see and they often don't match.

But this week they got our pick 9 correct, bottom of the table

So again, we lose another first quarter.

What the * is Nicks saying in his pre-game address?
TBF .....we brought the heat in the first qtr .....but SYD's pressure rating was off the chart ...and combined with a much more experienced finals side, whose teamwork was unbelievable ....yeah disappointing, but we did come to play

Again ....12 players under 50 games ....what really are people's expectations ??? ....do you expect to win every week, or do you want to see individual player improvement and competitive efforts ?

It's easy to potshot from the cheap seats .....nothing easier ...I could sit all day and pick the negatives of most posts, it's so easy ....same as to pot players who are young, learning & developing

But ask yourself why you follow a footy team .....because you'll have more down years than up years in sport .....if you can't see the positives from a game each week, why bother ??

For a young group, to come back after being crushed in the 1st Qtr was fantastic .....it shows Nicks has the players, the players have a fighting spirit, which is going to be valuable in years to come

Certainly the footy media are admiring the gameday efforts of our team :whitecheck: .....the wins will come with more experience, and the addition of another 2-3 players (SANFL, Draft, Trade)

Laird - has been lambasted unfairly in recent weeks ...the last 2 weeks, he has modified his game, and is using his legs to clear congestion, rather than handball or dump kick .....he's learn't & good coaching :whitecheck:

Berry - Likewise, his improvement in recent weeks has been dramatic ....also using his legs & doesn't that benefit his game .....is it a coincidence we've seen the use of legs more, since Crouch has been dropped a 2nd time ?

ROB - OK, I've led the chorus on how average he is as a ruckman ....but I did admire, that he was jumping at bounces, rather than stand flat-footed and wrestle the opposing ruckman :whitecheck: .....ground work, particularly marking :crossmark:

Soligo - smart footballer, 20 quality possessions .....not tiring as the season progresses ...but getting better :whitecheck:

Murray - had my doubts on Murray, but the way he attacked the contest on the ground, showed he is improving, and taking on the line coach's words ......his #1 wood is in the air, confidence will see that aspect of his game become more prominent .....but his game was a real plus :whitecheck:

Fogarty - leaping at the ball, is now being ingrained into his DNA ....and doesn't he look so much better for it :whitecheck:

Thilthorpe - missed that critical mark in the 4th Qtr ....but his marking overall has been improving as the season progresses .....great signs for the lad :whitecheck:

Parnell - I thought he was just a good kick / decision maker ....but the lad has a terrior attitude, that belies his size ...we gotta good one here :whitecheck:

Was really disappointed in Hinge's game, made a lot of mistakes ......Doedee is fumbling too much, making too many mistakes, and his #1 wood in aerial marking has escaped him, from earlier this year ....has to be carrying an injury, he's better than he's showing

Cook, terrible ...an uncompetitive effort, that Nicks will hate .....he'll be back into the SANFL
Schoenberg, meh !

Apology
Sorry I haven't said ...we're ** ....the Coach is ** .....the list is ****

I'm sorry for enjoying the fightback ....a competitive effort, that even the more experienced ESS supporters dream off

I'm sorry for enjoying the little improvements we're seeing in players ...week on week

TBF .....we brought the heat in the first qtr .....but SYD's pressure rating was off the chart ...and combined with a much more experienced finals side, whose teamwork was unbelievable ....yeah disappointing, but we did come to play

Again ....12 players under 50 games ....what really are people's expectations ??? ....do you expect to win every week, or do you want to see individual player improvement and competitive efforts ?

It's easy to potshot from the cheap seats .....nothing easier ...I could sit all day and pick the negatives of most posts, it's so easy ....same as to pot players who are young, learning & developing

But ask yourself why you follow a footy team .....because you'll have more down years than up years in sport .....if you can't see the positives from a game each week, why bother ??

For a young group, to come back after being crushed in the 1st Qtr was fantastic .....it shows Nicks has the players, the players have a fighting spirit, which is going to be valuable in years to come

Certainly the footy media are admiring the gameday efforts of our team :whitecheck: .....the wins will come with more experience, and the addition of another 2-3 players (SANFL, Draft, Trade)

Laird - has been lambasted unfairly in recent weeks ...the last 2 weeks, he has modified his game, and is using his legs to clear congestion, rather than handball or dump kick .....he's learn't & good coaching :whitecheck:

Berry - Likewise, his improvement in recent weeks has been dramatic ....also using his legs & doesn't that benefit his game .....is it a coincidence we've seen the use of legs more, since Crouch has been dropped a 2nd time ?

ROB - OK, I've led the chorus on how average he is as a ruckman ....but I did admire, that he was jumping at bounces, rather than stand flat-footed and wrestle the opposing ruckman :whitecheck: .....ground work, particularly marking :crossmark:

Soligo - smart footballer, 20 quality possessions .....not tiring as the season progresses ...but getting better :whitecheck:

Murray - had my doubts on Murray, but the way he attacked the contest on the ground, showed he is improving, and taking on the line coach's words ......his #1 wood is in the air, confidence will see that aspect of his game become more prominent .....but his game was a real plus :whitecheck:

Fogarty - leaping at the ball, is now being ingrained into his DNA ....and doesn't he look so much better for it :whitecheck:

Thilthorpe - missed that critical mark in the 4th Qtr ....but his marking overall has been improving as the season progresses .....great signs for the lad :whitecheck:

Parnell - I thought he was just a good kick / decision maker ....but the lad has a terrior attitude, that belies his size ...we gotta good one here :whitecheck:

Was really disappointed in Hinge's game, made a lot of mistakes ......Doedee is fumbling too much, making too many mistakes, and his #1 wood in aerial marking has escaped him, from earlier this year ....has to be carrying an injury, he's better than he's showing

Cook, terrible ...an uncompetitive effort, that Nicks will hate .....he'll be back into the SANFL
Schoenberg, meh !

Apology
Sorry I haven't said ...we're ** ....the Coach is .....the list is **

I'm sorry for enjoying the fightback ....a competitive effort, that even the more experienced ESS supporters dream off

I'm sorry for enjoying the little improvements we're seeing in players ...week on week

I don’t have the expectation to win each week. I’ve enjoyed our efforts against both Melbourne and Collingwood in recent times but I’m concerned that our first quarter starts are costing us and we continue to play catchup for the rest of the game.

For most of the year we have had better games than worse ones - efforts against Brisbane, St Kilda and even Geelong at the Cattery can be classified as competitive but we have had some stinkers, GWS and Hawthorn come readily to mind which is always possible with an inexperienced side.

What is happening pre-game needs to be addressed as we have won two of 16 first quarters (I’m excluding WC and Roos).

PS : I followed West Torrens for 30 years until the merger. I know what it is like to follow such a side but here I am still a member of that club and have been so since I was 15 (46 years).

I disagree strongly with the latter. We actually did turn up. They just laughed at our level of pressure and doubled it. Then, we couldn't handle it and succumbed to their much better skill levels. We are just not good enough.

Also, for once the stats are very informative. They were much more even than us, right down to the lower levels. This is a matter of recruitment and coaching, whatever way you look at it.
Not good enough YET ......SYD's pressure rating in the 1st Qtr was an insane 300+

I don’t have the expectation to win each week. I’ve enjoyed our efforts against both Melbourne and Collingwood in recent times but I’m concerned that our first quarter starts are costing us and we continue to play catchup for the rest of the game.

For most of the year we have had better games than worse ones - efforts against Brisbane, St Kilda and even Geelong at the Cattery can be classified as competitive but we have had some stinkers, GWS and Hawthorn come readily to mind which is always possible with an inexperienced side.

What is happening pre-game needs to be addressed as we have won two of 16 first quarters (I’m excluding WC and Roos).

PS : I followed West Torrens for 30 years until the merger. I know what it is like to follow such a side but here I am still a member of that club and have been so since I was 15 (46 years).
Yep, fair assessment

IIRC the commentators did say early, the Crows are here to play ......it was just SYD's pressure was unreal

I'm getting the impression, we're not getting "spanked" in the midfield now, at CBA's, as we were for most of the season

What is this infatuation with ROB needing to mark the ball?
I'm amazed you had to ask.
Every team needs their ruckman/men to mark the ball in contested packs.

MANY teams aim for their ruckmen on kickouts after a point to mark and move the ball on quickly.
Kickout ==> ruckman marks ==> handballs/kicks to teammate ==> quick movement of ball past centre.

Gawn's marking power is one of many reasons why Melbourne went top.
Please have a look at this clip, below.
1) would one of our players have looked for ROB and held back the kick as Lever did?
2) Would ROB even have gone forward? Gawn went up there quick-smart.
3) Would ROB have marked that and kicked the goal? Gawn's after-the-siren goal was one of five, ffs.
I'd say a firm NO, since ROB has not taken a single mark in his last 2 games, and his kicking is awful.

The Crows need ROB to be taking contested marks all over the ground. It's one of a good ruckman's basic tools (marking power from height and body strength). Can you envisage ROB kicking 5 goals in a game?
Yeah, nor can I.

The guy was out of control all game against some highly talented mids

Without looking at stats prob had 40 possessions and 8 tackles and a goal with pretty ordinary ruck and back up mids outside of Berry who missed half an hour injured

*Told ya I’d get smashed for saying it haha
All your comments have been a spot on assessment ....a realistic view of the game / players 👍

That was the ultimate troll by Nick's today. Play Dawson back all year and then move him forward against Sydney. Lol
Do you understand why Nicks made that call ? ......and btw Dawson also played periods on the wing

I'm amazed you had to ask.
Every team needs their ruckman/men to mark the ball in contested packs.

MANY teams aim for their ruckmen on kickouts after a point to mark and move the ball on quickly.
Kickout ==> ruckman marks ==> handballs/kicks to teammate ==> quick movement of ball past centre.

Gawn's marking power is one of many reasons why Melbourne went top.
Please have a look at this clip, below.
1) would one of our players have looked for ROB and held back the kick as Lever did?
2) Would ROB even have gone forward? Gawn went up there quick-smart.
3) Would ROB have marked that and kicked the goal? Gawn's after-the-siren goal was one of five, ffs.
I'd say a firm NO, since ROB has not taken a single mark in his last 2 games, and his kicking is awful.

The Crows need ROB to be taking contested marks all over the ground. It's one of a good ruckman's basic tools (marking power from height and body strength). Can you envisage ROB kicking 5 goals in a game?
Yeah, nor can I.

That question was completely ignorant. I wouldn't have answered it. Asking about why a ruckman should do his job and mark the ball? The only thing the big uncoordinated lug could do was mark and now he can't even do that. Best hope for ROB is that we can offload the lug to a team looking for a backup ruck.

Back