• Patrick Parnell

• Harry Schoenberg

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Taylor Walker

• Josh Worrell

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

But you brought up Fogarty as an example of why you need to be patient, the difference is Fogarty is a KPF, who struggled for fitness, they always take longer but you could see he had AFL quality attributes.

Jones and McHenry are smalls who have been given more opportunities than Fog. Jones has shown he has some decent attributes but we rarely see them whereas McHenry has shown he’s a trier that’s it.

Both have been in the system for 3 years and should be showing more than they are, plenty of smalls with less experience have shown they are going to make it and are actually making it.

But curious, how long do you plan on giving them before you come to the realisation that they won’t make it?
Jones is making it.
It's just his 2020 was so deplorable and embarrassing, he became a whipping boy and people are blinded with him.

McHenry? I saw some feint signs in 2021, but they have dissapeared this year, while others have shown. But if he cant put it together next year. Cut him. He's close to being a servicable squad player (still a bust for 1st round draft pick) but 23 is make or break imo. If he doesn't make himself into that squad player, just cut him and throw in someone who has the potential to be more. Honestly feel McHerny's peak is Mackay. No where near good enough for a 1st round pick, but if you cut everyone who wont be a star, you end up with a team that has the top end talent to fluke a few good wins, but not enough depth to compete in all games.

That is a large part of the issue McHenry has played nearly every game of the last two seasons and is still retained if he plays a stinker - perhaps as you said the coaches know more than us mere mortals - but when do you cut your losses and move forward by finding a player that plays his role better?

Do we back in our list and not delist or recruit because they all may click? Apart from the effort does he show any outstanding attributes? He will play his 50th game round 1 surely we should be seeing some signs other than terrier effort - I think we could find someone who adds more to our team.
I would suggest there are signs of more than terrier effort, but most refuse to give any credit because of the pack mentality that develops on here.
There are definitely times where I’m frustrated by him, but he does deliver more imo that what most suggest. Anyway, I’ll move on and let the boots continue to get sunk in

Even before Fog was starting to string together his recent consistent form, he had the odd moment when he showed what the future might hold - a big mark, some long-range goals with amazing accuracy, busting a pack, even a bag of 5 goals against WCE.

Problem with Ned, he does not show any great attributes after all the games he has played. When has he brought a player to a screaming halt with a big tackle, busted through a tackle and set up a big play, kicked an amazing goal, done enough to say he dragged the team over the line on his back, anything? At best he has shown a few moments of reasonable play - stuff that Andrew Gaze on "Bounce" would call "pretty standard stuff".

I said at the time in the game day thread that it was a Wayne Carey like grab.. carey used to do them all the time.. just smash his way into the marking contest and seemed to just win the ball with ease..

A pity Jenkins couldn’t take advantage of his size to do something similar

But we’ve moved on!

Jones actually had a very solid defensive game with some crucial pressure acts at critical times. Sick of posters who make up their mind on who played well be the stats!
you know what I laugh at

AFL media: Is Shai Bolton the best player in the league atm?

Me: Didn't Chayce Jones completely shut him down in our game this year?

Even before Fog was starting to string together his recent consistent form, he had the odd moment when he showed what the future might hold - a big mark, some long-range goals with amazing accuracy, busting a pack, even a bag of 5 goals against WCE.

Problem with Ned, he does not show any great attributes after all the games he has played. When has he brought a player to a screaming halt with a big tackle, busted through a tackle and set up a big play, kicked an amazing goal, done enough to say he dragged the team over the line on his back, anything? At best he has shown a few moments of reasonable play - stuff that Andrew Gaze on "Bounce" would call "pretty standard stuff".
Last year he was displaying amazing defensive pressure. And that's what you need in such a tall forward line surrounded by Tex, Fog,Thilthorpe and even McAdam.
But that's gone missing this year, but he seems to get his hands on the ball now. Though, his decision making is slow and he gets pinged HTB too much for my liking. But, the way he lowers his eyes (similar to Tom Lynch) when approaching the 50 sets up shots on goals.

If you take that defensive pressure from 2021, sprinkle it in with his attacking flair in 2022, avoid the brain farts. We could have a good squad player. A new David Mackay. Someone who will never be a star, but is good enough to be best 22 in any side.

That's still a bust for a first rounder. But I'll take it.

Jones has shown some amazing skill, toughness, and even an ability to shut down a forward as a defender. Though, I don't feel we can play Jones and Parnell in the same back 6. So I do want Jones unleashed on the wing. Here's hoping the confidence he's found in 2021-22 allows him to flourish there. If he fails, again, he can be a good squad player in the back 6, and I'd give Parnell a go on the wing. Both very similar products. But that's the thing. Mid-season draft? That's a still. 1st round pick? If he ends up being as good as I think he can be, he might just, JUST be worthy of where we drafted him. But only just. Now if neither can make it on a wing, we must dispose of 1 of them, because we cant play both in the backline.

A pity Jenkins couldn’t take advantage of his size to do something similar

But we’ve moved on!
Tbh the hip out and the one armed cup mark in the last quarter was him claiming 32. It’s no longer Roo’s.
This is a new Adelaide. That confident grab is this team moving on. No ties to the past.

But you brought up Fogarty as an example of why you need to be patient, the difference is Fogarty is a KPF, who struggled for fitness, they always take longer but you could see he had AFL quality attributes.

Jones and McHenry are smalls who have been given more opportunities than Fog. Jones has shown he has some decent attributes but we rarely see them whereas McHenry has shown he’s a trier that’s it.

Both have been in the system for 3 years and should be showing more than they are, plenty of smalls with less experience have shown they are going to make it and are actually making it.

But curious, how long do you plan on giving them before you come to the realisation that they won’t make it?
Fog had some key attributes that you could see that there is talent there. Jones and McHenry don’t have any key skill attributes that stand out.

you know what I laugh at

AFL media: Is Shai Bolton the best player in the league atm?

Me: Didn't Chayce Jones completely shut him down in our game this year?
My recollection is that Jones was torching him playing forward early but he played more midfield after that and so Jones no longer had anything to do with him.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ben Davis had his big chance to show he can play - played 3 quarters.

6 disposals.

See ya Ben.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones still doesn't get enough of the footy BUT he has attributes that we are desperately short of, a combination of neat skills, speed and toughness. The last part in particular, he is one tough little bugger and likes to hit hard.

A bit like FOG, he is building, could have a break out soon.
Fog had nous though. A natural footballer. Even when he was crap, he'd do little things like shephard or block etc. Things that reminded you he had a footy brain. I don't see that in Chayce. If you told me he'd played another sport most of his life before being drafted, I'd believe it.

Ben Davis had his big chance to show he can play - played 3 quarters.

6 disposals.

See ya Ben.
As opposed to Smith (7 disposals), Jones (7 disposals) and Parnell (8 disposals)?

Fog had nous though. A natural footballer. Even when he was crap, he'd do little things like shephard or block etc. Things that reminded you he had a footy brain. I don't see that in Chayce. If you told me he'd played another sport most of his life before being drafted, I'd believe it.

Agree. Chayce is hard at it as f***, and very quick. But he’s a pretty dumb footballer beyond that.

A lot of chatter about low possession games on here with little to no context. As a team we only had 288 disposals which is an average of 13 per player and fairly rare for a winning team this day and age. If you take our 2 highest possession winners out (Laird, 36 & Dawson 27) it's only a touch over 11 per player remaining.

I know Optus stadium surface has had some criticism. But to put that to one side, I liked the footy produced by a fast field and a bouncing ball. There seemed less congestion and faster play all around.

Anyone else notice this?

Everyone has hangups on the 1st round pick for McHenry .....have a look at his Draft, wasn't much chop immediately after him .....he'll be a good pressure player, those are good value
Agreed. No one is screaming out as a must have with those draft picks. And Im relatively happy with the Will Hamil pick (despite his on goin health concerns)

1660006060203.png

Agreed. No one is screaming out as a must have with those draft picks. And Im relatively happy with the Will Hamil pick (despite his on goin health concerns)

View attachment 1470896

Hamill has shown plenty to suggest that he was actually a very good pick at 30. It would be massively unfair to blame the drafting team for not predicting repeated concussions.

Back