• James Borlase

• Patrick Parnell

• Reilly O'Brien

• Lachlan Gollant

• Mark Keane

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe???
I would have said that inaccuracy is caused by failing to execute a trained technique. Fatigue exacerbates or amplifies a dodgy technique more than a solid technique.

** There are two distinct athletic traits at play in AFL. First is the reflex driven athlete such as Izak and Eddie...and Steve Smith. The other type is a methodical type who can reproduce technique like a machine such as Dunstall, Lockett and Marnus Labuschagne.

PPS...I rated Eddies set shot techique greatly. Very reliable
I don’t think our inaccuracies are down to poor goal kicking technique (as the main issue). We have the likes of Tex, Fog, Rankine who are natural goal kickers. Rachele is also a good kick, and had proven that last year. This year, these normally reliable kickers are missing some relatively easy set shots.

I think a lot of the misses are down to a few things from my general observation:
  • fatigue; our team appears to be running around more and with mental and physical fatigue, accuracy is likely to drop.
  • a lot of the young players are likely to not build a full tank of fitness yet, so likely to be more inaccurate in the latter stages of the quarters.
  • inexperienced team = less composure, more likely to rush their kicks for goals

I posted this a few months ago. It's a psychological technique used by sports psychologists to help remove the player who is trying to execute an "uncontested skill" from the situation and environment. i.e pressure goal or hostile crowd etc

I'm sorry to repeat this but I really feel we look psychologically immature up forward at times.

Agree that adrenaline is helpful in gaining a previously unknown high level of performance. Swimming a PB at the Olympics is a great example of this.

However, adrenaline, I would suggest is an enemy of goal kicking and particularly, set shots.

Goal kicking requires calmness, focus and where possible, lower heart rates. Think about Roger Federer on match point (for or against). I bet you can't tell the difference by his demeanor. He maintains this because he has trained for big moments and his ability to quieten his mind and focus on playing tennis allows him to somewhat remove himself from the scoreboard. He just wants to win THIS point.

An excellent technique which I have seen work many time is using a Diminishing Focus of Attention (DFA). This is used commonly in golf but the principles of a set shot on goal and a golf shot are identical. Therefore, DFA involves looking at the broader picture first. In footy, this might involve standing at the top of your run up and observe the goals, the wind and any other macro factors which will affect the shot. Next, the player should visualise the ball in flight allowing for the factors previously observed. Once this picture is embedded, the player can then choose a very specific target. This should be a fixed point such as the goal umpire or someone in the crowd. Whatever is chosen, the target should be small and definitely smaller than simply between the goal posts. Once the aiming is precise and fixed in your head (can you still see it if you closed your eyes? If not, you're not focused yet) you begin your approach with the PRACTISED precision of fast bowlers run up. This run up must never change, especially in practice. After one last look at the target with a couple of steps before impact, lower your eyes and concentrate PURELY on making solid contact with the ball. Feel the ball on the boot and concentrate on getting that same feeling on all PRACTICED shots.

The purpose of this DFA is that because you concentrated so hard on big things and then smaller things and eventually on yourself as you try to focus on a few square cm's of your foot, you've forgotten about the scoreboard, the crowd noise, whether you will win or lose. It's all about one kick and hopefully, my mind was removed from the pressure of the game and became still and calm as I tried to REPRODUCE the technique I have full confidence in. I have this confidence because I've PRACTICED this exact routine to the point it's now intrinsic.

This one technique but I've found it very effective on many occasions where reproducing a repetitive action is required. Think tennis serving, golf, basketball free throw, AFL full forward. They all require the same state of mind. This technique seeks to remove the EXTERNAL pressure from the situation and empower the athlete by focusing INTERALLY. There are other athletes which conversely, embrace the pressure. But I don't like them as much. Roger was my sporting psychological hero.

I'm sure he would have had an excellent accuracy % in front of goal.;)
Tex has a routine. Mouth guard out and tucked into left hand sock. Flips the ball a couple of time then bends down, pats his left ankle twice and runs in. I’m assuming he has a tattoo on his
Left ankle. I don’t see the younger fellas be that deliberate in their approach though.

Hit the nail on the head. Our goal kicking on the face of it looks pretty good - as below. But when you factor in all shots taken (at least 10 shots in the season to get a ranking, 304 players currently ranked) we only have 3 players in the top 100

Tex 76.34. (53)
Rankine 36.27. (170)
Fog 34.23. (109)
Peds 25.15. (149)
Thilthorpe 18.9. (74)
Murphy 12.8 (208)
McAdam 12.4. (12)

And then - hard to believe Dawson is bottom 12 in the comp for goal kicking accuracy (including misses)

Keays 22.19. (177)
Rach 23.25. (229)
Dawson 6.15. (292)
Laird 3.10. (301)

And it is infectious. We had plenty of games where we kicked well for goal - but when we didn’t, it was usually really bad

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Your right but wonder how much is attributed to the way we play. A lot of the kicks are 45m or more out. Collingwoods accuracy is due to the fact they kick it to the square which makes it easy to kick a goal. Adelaide need to practice goal kicking and kicking skills in gerenal for us to move into the finals

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t think our inaccuracies are down to poor goal kicking technique (as the main issue). We have the likes of Tex, Fog, Rankine who are natural goal kickers. Rachele is also a good kick, and had proven that last year. This year, these normally reliable kickers are missing some relatively easy set shots.

I think a lot of the misses are down to a few things from my general observation:
  • fatigue; our team appears to be running around more and with mental and physical fatigue, accuracy is likely to drop.
  • a lot of the young players are likely to not build a full tank of fitness yet, so likely to be more inaccurate in the latter stages of the quarters.
  • inexperienced team = less composure, more likely to rush their kicks for goals
Happy to agree with point three but fatigue is only a factor once you've tried. We've been inaccurate early in games often (usually).

There's more to it than fatigue.

Happy to agree with point three but fatigue is only a factor once you've tried. We've been inaccurate early in games often (usually).

There's more to it than fatigue.
A lot of it is mental. Some players are scared of missing which ultimately leads to a miss. Change the mindset and focus on technique and routine and it should improve. We also need to handoff to another player when the chances of a goal are low. How many goals a player kicks should not be the priority. Conversion of opportunity by the team should be. That will increase individual goals by extension anyway.

Last edited:
One of the stats that doesn't show is the missed frees. Against the Lions Daniher (I think) got a free in the goal square when he kneed Borlase in the head while Borlase was trying to pick the ball up. Or the Lauchie Sholl mark and play-on then holding the ball I think against Collingwood earlier in the season.

At the 42 minute mark here.
Sholl was tackled from behind by SPP in the first Showdown

There’s also the fact that many points were kicked in that grey zone between 20-35metres out where players think that they just need to guide the ball through rather than kicking through the ball.

Stopping your momentum into kicking often leads to the ball stop being slightly off - at least that’s I found when I was playing.

Really hoping that Walker’s season is acknowledged by All Australian selectors; indeed replicating a three pronged attack would be more realistic than shoehorning stat rich midfielders into positions they don’t usually play. (Ever since he played at Norwood, I’ve enjoyed watching him play; a footballer’s footballer if you will)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tex has a routine. Mouth guard out and tucked into left hand sock. Flips the ball a couple of time then bends down, pats his left ankle twice and runs in. I’m assuming he has a tattoo on his
Left ankle. I don’t see the younger fellas be that deliberate in their approach though.
Pretty sure he taps his right ankle not left?.. his kicking foot/ankle..

he also lifts one of his hands on and off the ball as he’s running in.. dermott brereton pointed it out a few weeks back.. explained that its done so his main ball drop hand remains the dominant hand of the two which makes the ball drop more solid and reliable.

this is what I really rate about Dermie’s commentating.. he has some real awesome insights into the game that he shares With the viewer… s**t you wouldnt really know as a everyday punter watching the game.

mcadam does the same thing.. but not only lifts the hand.. he goes as far as wiping the hand he lifts on the back of his shorts as well..

whatever works i suppose!..

Horrible season for Reilly O'Brien. Terrible 100th and the turning point was him getting subbed off.

Time to find a replacement
ROB reflected a poor attitude in the first half .....his INSISTENCE at taking that shot for goal, even when there was a play alongside him asking for the ball .....showed his poor attitude

He would normally, never take that shot

Rankine should spend his entire offseason training in the midfield. That guy looks like a way better Shai Bolton 4 years ago.

With a way better tank
This !!!!! .....the difference this guy makes in the midfield, way off-sets his value as a fwd ....no-one can lay a finger on Rankine

ROB reflected a poor attitude in the first half .....his INSISTENCE at taking that shot for goal, even when there was a play alongside him asking for the ball .....showed his poor attitude

He would normally, never take that shot
I’d rest him for the next month at least

I’d rest him for the next month at least
Did it play a part in him being Subbed off ?

That said .....Gollant looked a million $$, not being stuck deep fwd .....his ability to read the play, higher up the ground, was a real positive from the match

With that final game I wonder if Soligo will finish in the top 10 in the best and fairest.

Tex
Dawson
Laird
Hinge
Milera
Smith
Keays
Rankine
Soligo
Fog

ROB will probably be in there though even though his season wasn't really that good

Better not see Sloane or Murphy in the top 10

Where is the Crouching bashing coming from. He had a top match last night. Some may want to watch the game in replay mode again. I can't recall any clangers of significance but the possession and disposal to advantage were many.
Was at the game and Crouch was one of the best imo, the one guy working through the traffic to feed the ball out to advantage. Our other mids regularly put each other under pressure. Laird did lift hugely in the 2nd half though. Soligo was excellent. Hinge and Milera both very good. Tex obviously huge all year. Felt like momentum swung once Thilthorpe come on despite him not hardly winning a tap I recall.

Back