Review Good/Bad vs West Coast - Rd 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Was gonna bet 21plus but didn't get around to it. I knew we would get crushed. Selection only reinforced it. I could have retired betting against the crows more consistently this year.

My 8 leg multi with Tex first goal kicker went down by Nic Nat not getting 15 disposals - $900 so close!!

He wasn't great

He was good from an attacking sense but a liability defensively, jogging behind as the Eagles routinely swept the ball with ease from half back

Our four medium/tall forwards are needed to do the work of three players.

Without Himmelberg we don't have a player to kick long to and bring it to ground. Without Lynch we don't have someone who works up the ground and creates. Without Fogarty we don't have enough class finishing. Without Tex we don't have proper direction or structure.

Take any out and the group struggles offensively.

However with them all in we become impotent at ground level and non-existent defensively.

It's why Thilthorpe is so important long term as he does multiple things at once.

Top post, nails it on multiple levels👍

Obviously there were beers involved. Started cooking a yellow curry at half time with a healthy dose of fresh birdseye chillies, Yada Yada Yada, it's on fire!

I’m assuming that “yada yada yada” is Latin for..well, we need to use our imaginations..😄

Last year Nicks had a very average coaching team. As soon as he could he could he pissed them off and replaced them with quality

I think he probably feels the same way about some of his players at the moment

Last year Nicks had a very average coaching team. As soon as he could he could he pissed them off and replaced them with quality

May first move is to sort out our recruiting team and review our going forward development strategy .

That we cut such substandard players last year, and yet still have so many left in the squad is completely damning on our recruiting and list management.

Throwing darts to make drafting and list management decisions would probably yield equal or better results.

We are unable to run out games for 4 quarters, which is not unusual for a young team... but would help if we rotated more players on a week to week basis.

Hopefully we have better fitness & conditioning staff for next season & beyond.

He probably feels the same way about our recruiting, list management and fitness departments. One buckled wheel replaced, three more to go.

Does he get to pick his assistants? Wouldn’t have thought so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw something tonight from Tex that I don't think I've ever seen before and hope I never see again.

I know that he must be frustrated from the poor delivery that he's getting from the mids and the wingmen but at one point in the third quarter after some slick ball movement to the left forward flank just outside 50, Murphy shanked the kick into the forward line and Tex gave him a nasty, prolonged spray. Not just that, he put his right hand out in a half-hearted attempt at blocking the Eagles player who ran the ball out.
Anyone else notice that?

I remember Matthew Richardson doing that quite a lot, getting angry with his teammates when he didn't get the ball that he wanted. It's a sign of misplaced ego and poor team spirit.
Someone else posted that Kelly gave Sloane a spray and I thought there was a fair bit of poor body language and dropped heads in the third and fourth quarters.
My impression is that Nicksland is not a happy place.

Nicks is coaching for the now and failing, there'd be a ratcheting up of the pressure. His explanation as to why Sloane will continue playing despite poor form was embarrassing. Basically, 'he's going no good, but it's too late for the surgery that would have eliminated long term damage risk, so he might as well keep going, leadership and all that razz'.

Nicks is coaching for the now and failing, there'd be a ratcheting up of the pressure. His explanation as to why Sloane will continue playing despite poor form was embarrassing. Basically, 'he's going no good, but it's too late for the surgery that would have eliminated long term damage risk, so he might as well keep going, leadership and all that razz'.
You're right and he's garbage.

Played an injured lynch and lied about it. He literally said "lynch wasn't injured even though he needed injections to play". The commentators even said when he came on that he couldn't run.

He makes garbage selections like picking frampton and himmelberg over fogarty. Broke the record for our lowest score and lowest score ever at etihad for any team.

Plays mackay over youngsters like scholl.

But hey, everything's fine if he's having bbq's with roo and getting everyone to re sign.

We might be the easiest club to sidestep around when we’re attempting to tackle. Seems embedded in the group, Lynch and Mackay the worst for it, we just give up. Atkins left a legacy?

Try Neil Craig. Don't waste energy, if they get past you, save it for the next effort where hopefully you can corral them into making a mistake.

Must be hard knowing you'll never play in another finals campaign again. Easy to slip into a 9-5 mentality.

You know what can reignite the desire to put in 100% despite finals not being on the horizon? The word 'omit' next to your or another averagely performing senior player's name. But we encourage this complacency with our protection racket being run for these guys.

You know what can reignite the desire to put in 100% despite finals not being on the horizon? The word 'omit' next to your or another averagely performing senior player's name. But we encourage this complacency with our protection racket being run for these guys.

More of our supporters would be upset over a Smith, Sloane or Mackay being dropped than us going all year without a win. Just like they clapped Steven Trigg after he cost us two years of draft picks. Individuals always come ahead of the team - it really is a strange mentality we have as a club.

More of our supporters would be upset over a Smith, Sloane or Mackay being dropped than us going all year without a win. Just like they clapped Steven Trigg after he cost us two years of draft picks. Individuals always come ahead of the team - it really is a strange mentality we have as a club.

And there's no doubt the very rigorous senior coach recruitment process would eliminate coaches that thought differently very quickly.

I thought we still competed ok in general play the second half but they just killed us for damage from stoppages.
It makes me cringe when people here think keays and laird are good midfielders. I mean, I don't blame laird though. It's not his fault we have no mids

He can make an example at selection. Or even demote someone out of the midfield seeing he teed off on their positioning so strongly. He's as much the problem as the players if he's not going to hold them to account. Who cares if we lose by 3 goals more, send a message that senior players are accountable for their form as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back