Review Good/Bad vs Western Bulldogs - Rd 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Just trying to figure this out.

Kids blooded 2021:
Thilthorpe, Berry, Pedler, O'Connor, worrell

Kids blooded 2020:
Butts, Hamill, McAsey, Schoenberg, McPherson, McHendry, Scholl, McAdam

Am I forgetting people?

Shane McAdam is 26 years old and was 25 on debut. Let’s delete him from any list talking about “kids” surely. He’s older than Marcus Bontempelli.

Even though it wasn’t an AFL debut, Hately made his club debut for us in 2021 and is still only 20 years of age.

Nick Murray and James Rowe have also debuted in 2021 at the ages of 20 and 21 respectively.

Next year it’ll be our first 2-3 upcoming draft choices, plus Gollant, Cook and mayyyyybe even Newchurch if he can pull his finger out.

We've won double the games, to say we haven't made progress is a bit odd.
The question wasn't whether we made progress, it was whether we made more progress or less than the previous year.

So perhaps I look at it slightly differently.

I think about where we started and where we finished then I think how much closer are we to winning a premiership.

I don't think we're any closer to winning a premiership and I actually think we made less progress this year.

The question wasn't whether we made progress, it was whether we made more progress or less than the previous year.

I think about where we started and where we finished then I think how much closer are we to winning a premiership.

I don't think we're any closer to winning a premiership and I actually think we made less progress this year.
I think we've made more progress.

How many times last year were we totally blown apart in shorter games ??

We've gotten some good games into some good kids and found a few long term players amongst them. We're closer to a flag for sure.... But it's still a long road.

I just can't see it, even if I really want to.
All of the positives you mentioned have some merit, but did you watch today's game and how bad they were, in spite of those positives?
40 I50s.
Poor tackles that don't stick.
Woeful skills by hand and feet.
Today's game in isolation was not one for me to judge them on - down there at Mars the Dogs virtually never lose and it is a horrid place for visiting teams. Yep we were second best out there but the dogs have been my tip all year for the flag and are the best side in the comp. We ended up losing by 50 odd points but we didn't roll over and make it easy for them. I will be much more keen to see us against North and how we go against them as they are around us on the ladder and also in rebuild mode.

Even Kane Cornes has stated he is surprise with us winning as many games and you say "we made less progress"? No doubt we have faded a lot since the mid season break and are only capable of playing a few quarters per game and completely losing the game in those quarters we have been extremely poor but that's a young team for you. Sure we are still on track to finish bottom 4 but this season has actually been very close were all the bottom 4 team (except for North) were only a few games outside the 8 before COVID-19 took over.

I think we've made more progress.

How many times last year were we totally blown apart in shorter games ??

We've gotten some good games into some good kids and found a few long term players amongst them. We're closer to a flag for sure.... But it's still a long road.

I get that and can see where you're coming from.

You're probably looking at our worst last year vs our worst this year.

But again I think about those games and then how we ended up making really progress and pulling it together towards the end of the season.

I think we carried that form into the early rounds and then basically went backwards.

That's why I think we've made less progress this year.

Well not really, Shoenberg has come on fantastically this year. Butts too. Sholl has tired but his season was generally pretty good for a still lightly built player. Hamill has been better in the back half of the year and I'll grant you McAdam has dropped right off and McAsey looks a long way away at this stage. Jones has finally found something in defense for us and McHenry has been much better this year than last. add to that Berry has player almost every game this year along with Rowe, Murray plays when fit now and Thilthorpe will be a superstar..I think we have got better this year and stuck with kids and brought more in. To me it is an upward trend - albeit it will take time, another big draft and some smart trading

All we've seen is signs and patches of form from these guys. Butts gets a tick, Shoen as well when given mid opportunity. Couldnt ask for much more from Riley. Jury is out on everyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When have I said that?
By saying "a number of those players who we thought we'd going to have big roles have gone backwards", you haven't heard of second year blues especially for a young playing group and they were very good early in the season, especially Sholl.

But again I think about those games and then how we ended up making really progress and pulling it together towards the end of the season.

I think we carried that form into the early rounds and then basically went backwards.

But I think that progression is making sure the gap between your best and worst reduces and this year we have only had a couple of real blowout losses with longer quarters. Double the wins with 3 more chances to win again before seasons end and extra exposure for our youth without Both Crouches and Talia in the side unlike last year. Add in a high end mid and some other exciting picks and maybe a trade in of a player and we are certainly pointing towards improvement

Today's game in isolation was not one for me to judge them on - down there at Mars the Dogs virtually never lose and it is a horrid place for visiting teams. Yep we were second best out there but the dogs have been my tip all year for the flag and are the best side in the comp. We ended up losing by 50 odd points but we didn't roll over and make it easy for them. I will be much more keen to see us against North and how we go against them as they are around us on the ladder and also in rebuild mode.
Look, I am loyal to the Crows and usually optimistic, and have made excuses for them myself.
They lost by only 50 points because the Dogs were in cruise-mode, the windy conditions, and the Dogs eased down in the last coasting to that 50-point win.

It's not only today:
--- selection has been bewildering all year
--- just what is the game plan, since they play a different style week by week?
--- Harry/Berry need to spend much more time in the middle (and that's only one example of senior players holding up the rookies' development).
--- basic skill levels (kicking/handball/marking/ one-%ers) are dismal.

The penny dropped for me today as to just how bad they are, 2/3 of the way through the first quarter.

By saying "a number of those players who we thought we'd going to have big roles have gone backwards", you haven't heard of second year blues especially for a young playing group and they were very good early in the season, especially Sholl.
Look I'm not saying there are not valid reasons for form dips.

But if we look at our performances in the past 2 seasons, I picture it like a bell curve that starts at Rock bottom, it then starts rising to peak at the beginning of the 21 season to then start dropping, not completely where we started, but probably 3/4 of the way down.

All whilst investing heavily in our veterans.

This adds to our development debt which guarantees further dips in the future.

All we've seen is signs and patches of form from these guys. Butts gets a tick, Shoen as well when given mid opportunity. Couldnt ask for much more from Riley. Jury is out on everyone else.
Its a rebuild and these guys are just starting their careers..isn't promising signs and improvement from where we were last year what its all about?

From last year to this, we havnt seen enough improvement from youth.

Fogarty, Hamil, McPherson, Berg, Hately, McAsey have shown next to zero improvement.

Sholl improved for 2 months, now back to fringe 22.

Jones and McHenry still a very slow rate of improvement now 3rd year.

Butts and Shoenberg are they only youngsters to have really improved

We're rebuilding with a crap foundation of talent.

Look I'm not saying there are not valid reasons for form dips.

But if we look at our performances in the past 2 seasons, I picture it like a bell curve that starts at Rock bottom, it then starts rising to peak at the beginning of the 21 season to then start dropping, not completely where we started, but probably 3/4 of the way down.

All whilst investing heavily in our veterans.

This adds to our development debt which guarantees further dips in the future.
I'm not sure why you are talking about 2019 when Pyke was still trying to make finals so he played experience players, hence we made the massive coach and list change after 2019 and then 2020* happened which was the worst situation for the changes we did in 2019 and for player development. So all you can judge on is 2020* which was a very strange season and would have had a bigger impact on the youngest list on the AFL, especially when we also get the rough end of the rolling fixture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back