Review Good/Bad vs Western Bulldogs - Rd 20

There's no better demonstration of our Gary Ayres-like tactical inflexibility and sheer bloody minded use of yesterday's game plan, than our repeated R50 kicks to a pack on the right HFF/wing, even after the first half a dozen were blown out on the full by the obvious breeze. Every R50, every quarter, every game, every week, without fail.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good:
Losing satellite coverage when it rained.

Bad:
Our current list.

Ugly:
The people responsible for our list still there.

morris086

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Himmelberg has played good games back to back now, helping increase his trade value. Will we get seduced by his current form and keep him/extend his contract past '22? Or will we be proactive and see that hes holding Thilthorpes spotand move him on?

huludicidal

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Doedee, Sloane, Himmelberg, Fogarty, O’Brien, McPherson, Butts, McHenry and Lynch all performed to an acceptable standard (none of them were great, but I had Doedee as our best).

The remainder were mostly pretty bad. Keays and Laird both had shockers in the midfield. Tex looked disinterested but the conditions just didn’t suit him at all. Schoenberg was ineffective and didn’t seem to be switched on mentally. Seed’s disposal was poor. The long season has clearly caught up to Berry. Etc.

Pretty pointless feeling game for us as fans, and sadly I think that filters through to the players to a degree.

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
What’s Brodie Smith’s trade value? Still could deliver something for a contender - could we get a high second rounder for him? We can find a replacement for a HBF but if he could help us land a younger piece for our mid.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Doedee, Sloane, Himmelberg, Fogarty, O’Brien, McPherson, Butts, McHenry and Lynch all performed to an acceptable standard (none of them were great, but I had Doedee as our best).

The remainder were mostly pretty bad. Keays and Laird both had shockers in the midfield. Tex looked disinterested but the conditions just didn’t suit him at all. Schoenberg was ineffective and didn’t seem to be switched on mentally. Seed’s disposal was poor. The long season has clearly caught up to Berry. Etc.

Pretty pointless feeling game for us as fans, and sadly I think that filters through to the players to a degree.
1 Crows player will get Coaches votes...Rory Sloane, head and shoulders over our next best.

WeeBlake

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
It’s depressing watching the Dogs, already stacked with youngish talent, then realizing that they are going to get even better with gifts like JUH and Darcy. Plus Treloar, who was a salary-cap gift. I think the next five years could see Hawks-levels of dominance by them. Kudos to their recruiters for nailing their picks, too.
Our list is in a different post code, talent-wise.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Start of with a bad, which was the game plan into the wind. Not to mention forgetting about the wind when kicking long to the boundary only to see it sail out on the full.

Good :

We did have some good patches against a very good side. Just a huge class and experience gap there.

ROB and Sloane tie for bog for us. Good bounce back for Sloane, but I would still like to see him shifted forward.

Himmelberg our best tall with fog presenting well (should have had 3 really). Tough game for our talls. Anyone have any word on himm's knee?

Lynch quiet during the middle but overall one of our better players.

Thought our defenders did pretty well considering how dominant the dogs midfield was and how it was coming in. Very young group but didn't get blown away.

Thought McHenry was okay. Not sure who his direct opponent was though.

Bad:

Midfield smashed. Keays and laird didn't fire a shot. Killed on the outside.

Their half backs absolutely dominated.

Walker couldn't get near it.

Mackay is the worst sub option if there's no Sanfl. Zero impact player on a game like that.

Kelly was Kelly.

Rowe a couple of good moments but pretty ineffective and some poor decision making going forward.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I know everyone is going to going about the list, but there are players that are showing us they will be good players.

This is all about developing midfielders and midfield rotations. We really need to get more time into Berry and Pedlar.

And kicking forward, my gosh are we are awful.

Oh and tackling.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I was critical of Sloane early in the game but he certainly changed his game around
Eddie Ford looking good for the Roos on debut, if only we'd drafted him instead of Rowe.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pathetic performance. Losing the against-the-wind quarters by 2 and 3 probaly not too bad, but with the wind, we were awful. There was no forward structure, apart from the first few minutes. The kicking to targets was terrible. Tex wasn't interested and Fogarty was useless once the ball hit the ground. There were no smalls who magically appeared to mop up the ground ball.

We currently have no personnel who can pounce on a Joe-the-goose: perhaps, we should recall Jenkins? ;)
At the risk of labouring the point, it was embarrassing the number of times we managed to get over the defence and had the nearest player to the ball, but were then just swarmed with the ball taken away: why couldn't our player just reach the ball first, or one of our smalls get there?

WB were just running around like unregistered dogs (funny, that), whereas we were always one out. They were doing sequences of precise handballs, whereas we just handballed short to a hospital recipient or into the oppo legs (Sloane, I'm looking at you, despite your otherwise good game).

Finally, my current umpire bitch is the HTB/holding on situation. I was irate about the time we tackled Ugle-Hagan, he clearly dropped the ball during the tackle, yet we got penalised for completing the tackle: what is going on there? Why doesn't the original HTB take precedence? Pathetic.

huludicidal

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
1 Crows player will get Coaches votes...Rory Sloane, head and shoulders over our next best.

Yeah Sloane was solid. I just thought Doedee shaded him with some very good intercepts and contests. Sloane’s disposal, as usual, let him down at times. They were clearly our best two. Daylight 3rd.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
This was always going to be a game to highlight how bad our midfield is.

I reckon the Doggies have the best midfield in the comp. We saw the gap between the best and worst today.

Sloane stood up. A few tackle chances missed, but on the whole stood up.

Tackling inability also highlighted.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
We played ok considering the conditions and opposition. Moved the ball quick most of the time. We applied good pressure in the contest but they’re far too skilled for us and still killed us on the spread. For some reason flankers get free reign on us every game, lack of forward pressure? Just stark difference in talent.

Better signs from Berg and McHenry. Shoen struggled but can see the DNA is there.

Back