Review Good/Bad vs Western Bulldogs - Rd 20

Remove this Banner Ad

We've won double the games, to say we haven't made progress is a bit odd.
A lot of it due to Tex's early resurgence in a contract year.

Still questionable how much of our improvement is sustainable.

It's unfortunate we haven't arrived at a more or less settled structure. Lots of chopping and changing of even basic structures like number of talls at either end.

Also unfortunate we've wasted the opportunity to get midfield games into our new midfielders.

I'm not sure why you are talking about 2019 when Pyke was still trying to make finals so he played experience players, hence we made the massive coach and list change after 2019 and then 2020* happened which was the worst situation for the changes we did in 2019 and for player development. So all you can judge on is 2020* which was a very strange season and would have had a bigger impact on the youngest list on the AFL, especially when we also get the rough end of the rolling fixture.
I'm not talking about 2019.

When I say past 2 seasons in talking 20 and 21.

Sorry if that wasn't clear

Melbourne was in very good form when they played us early in the season and the game was high quality with Melbourne's top 3 players all had excellent games.

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that they've been beaten by us (15th), Pies (16th) and drew with Hawks (17th). The only top 8 side they've lost to was Dogs last week. They've inexplicably lost games at the very bottom of the ladder yet regularly beat the genuine contenders. It's been mentioned by a few of the talking heads recently especially via comparison with Port who are the opposite. As I said, you'd need to look a bit deeper and we know that's well outside your wheelhouse.

We've all seen what many of the Crows are capable of at their best, but they are just not gelling as a team, in spite of all the well-documented Kumbaya-love within the group for each other and the Coach.
They play ugly, dumb, ball-is-a-hot-potato football. No composure, no thinking:
--- short handpasses to static teammates who are guarded and surprised to receive them
--- high Hospital-handpasses, or long handpasses behind running players or to their feet, or opponents (ditto kicking)
--- half-hearted tackling, with little result and no pressure.
--- absolutely no awareness of or accounting for the windy conditions. Gotta be the worst in the League for playing in the wind, so dumb. We all learned in Primary School to play in front when the ball is coming into the wind, and stay down and behind when the ball is coming with the wind, but not this mob. Their kicking out to the RHB flank into the wind was abysmal/dumb.
How is anything they did today an improvement on their worst football from 2020?
"Rebuild"?? PTUI!!
I think mentally they are cooked, not playing for each other; they just wanna get this season done and over with.
Me too, except that 2022 is going to be more of the same, betcha, unless they get an injection of talent, say 6 new players, 3 inexperienced but elite (Thilthorpes, Schoenbergs) and 3 solid players from other Clubs.
But, honestly, who is going to want to come and play for Adelaide? It's a feeder Club --- has been for years --- not a destination Club.
Wow someone’s really unhappy. The club decided to go for a full rebuild which means it’s 3 to 4 years down the bottom. I for you am just like you and am frustrated watching them week in week out but this is what it’s about, I thought is wouldn’t be this hard or we would bounce back much earlier. Unfortunately this is what happens and we must stay the course and pray that it’s going in the right direction, honestly hats all we can do.
we can complain about selection like Mackay or game plan but it would change at all because wehave a far more inexperienced list and not as much talent as other. It’s frustrating and hard to watch but we have to deal with it

So you are saying we made more progress in 2020* compared to this season....WTF.

I think it's questionable yes.

But like I said, I think about where we started and where we finish. That's how I measure an amount of progress.

I'm not arguing whether our results this year are better than last year.

From last year to this, we havnt seen enough improvement from youth.

Fogarty, Hamil, McPherson, Berg, Hately, McAsey have shown next to zero improvement.

Sholl improved for 2 months, now back to fringe 22.

Jones and McHenry still a very slow rate of improvement now 3rd year.

Butts and Shoenberg are they only youngsters to have really improved

We're rebuilding with a crap foundation of talent.
Hately wasn't on our list, Fogarty has definitely shown improvement so I'm not sure what you are seeing, Hamill had his issue with concussions this season but getting back to form, Berg came back with poor fitness but now getting his opportunity late in the season, McAsey had a very poor preseason which is understandable given his father health during COVID-19, Jones and McHenry have both improved so I'm not sure what you are seeing, Sholl was exception but has faded which is understandable given he is young and the way he plays require a very mature fitness base.

Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that they've been beaten by us (15th), Pies (16th) and drew with Hawks (17th). The only top 8 side they've lost to was Dogs last week. They've inexplicably lost games at the very bottom of the ladder yet regularly beat the genuine contenders. It's been mentioned by a few of the talking heads recently especially via comparison with Port who are the opposite. As I said, you'd need to look a bit deeper and we know that's well outside your wheelhouse.
Yes it does, it changes how you analysis the win.

We're better this year than last for sure, but is that progression down to our kids improving, or guys like Tex and Seedsman finding form?
It is important for the senior players to lead and to help protect the kids. It was a sign today that fogarty was our most dangerous forward in that he has taken a very long time to be able to maintain a presence in games and thats where having walker has been a big help. IF fogarty is on his upward trend in terms of overall consistency and impact on games then walker wont be so important next season. The older heads ate critical in that development phase of the younger players.

Likewise matt crouch is our best mid but we have won games without him and therefore wont be as reliant on him to have to carry the side like we were last year.

I think it's questionable yes.

But like I said, I think about where we started and where we finish. That's how I measure an amount of progress.

I'm not arguing whether our results this year are better than last year.
Sure if all our experience players weren't injured and were good all season then I say the progress of the youngster is questionable but this isn't the case this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of it due to Tex's early resurgence in a contract year.

Still questionable how much of our improvement is sustainable.

It's unfortunate we haven't arrived at a more or less settled structure. Lots of chopping and changing of even basic structures like number of talls at either end.

Also unfortunate we've wasted the opportunity to get midfield games into our new midfielders.
No doubt he's been a huge part of our season.

I also think the chopping and changing of structure has to do with finding what's best for the list we've got ourselves. The only real disappointing aspect for me is the lack of change in the middle of the ground. We needed to run more than just Schoenberg through there for any length of time.

No doubt, COVID-19 will never be forgotten, anything else is forgettable and incomparable.

I think it's letting people off the hook and not being accountable if you do that, but there's no no point arguing this, if this is your position and belief.

Given I'm the lone poster who still thinks Himmelberg has a future, what could our forward line look like if he's in it?

Can our future forward line consist of Thilthorpe, Fogarty and Himmelberg? We'd need 3 quick crumbers/pressure forwards at their feet if so (counting McHenry who isn't overly quick but provides great pressure).

Are there any other sides who play two second rucks in their forward line?

I think it's letting people off the hook and not being accountable if you do that, but there's no no point arguing this, if this is your position and belief.
Off the hook for what? No-one expected or wanted this pandemic, the AFL did what they had to do to get the season* completed and we got the rough end of the rolling fixture as we were sh*t early in the season and continue to be sh*t with the sh*t fixture. Sure some of our players returned back in poor shape after the AFL lockdown but each individual handle the pandemic differently.

Given I'm the lone poster who still thinks Himmelberg has a future, what could our forward line look like if he's in it?

Can our future forward line consist of Thilthorpe, Fogarty and Himmelberg? We'd need 3 quick crumbers/pressure forwards at their feet if so (counting McHenry who isn't overly quick but provides great pressure).

Sooner Brayden Cook and/or Morgan Ferres or Zac Becker if we draft either and 2 crumbers. We need aerial threats with some leg speed and tricks.

I'm not sure we can and I think the 3 small forwards doesnt work for us because our small are simply not fast or dangerous enough.

Ideally we want:

2 Key forwards who are strong overhead and tall,crash packs, bring ball to ground

2. Medium/hybrid forwards who can mark and lead and who are more mobile and can get up and down the ground.

2 small forward who are extremely quick, evasive, can pressure AND are dangerous opportunist goal sneaks.

Having this variety gives you many options and allows you to expose mismatches.

We're too tall and slow at the moment and unfortunately our small forwards are not quick and the killer is they aren't really dangerous or kicking goals.

We need that hybrid medium forward.

I'm on record as reckoning that only Vic sides should play at Cattery, Tasmania and Ballarat but there seems to be some criticism of the ground itself not being AFL standard.
As a minimum these games should be spread around by all sides rather than the non-Victorian teams carrying the load.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back