Good Friday 2017...how would you feel...

Remove this Banner Ad

A few things.

Dogs have "roared" into pole position according to their own CEO.

No-one except Dogs posters have said that even if that's true it means Saints are in and North is out.

Some of the posts in this thread make it sound like BF North Board is the NMFC. We wish we were, but we aren't.

Early in 2016 the media chatter started to build that Dogs and North should get the game. Then the two clubs played a big game in front of a huge Docklands crowd. Then they played a second close game in front of a keen crowd. Then both made finals for the second year in a row. Then the bandwagon rolled over everyone and Dogs won the flag.

I would be gobsmacked after all that if it wasn't North v Dogs in Melbourne and an interstate game or two. AFL want to show love to the Dogs, don't want to look like total bastards by freezing North out, have good excuses to drop Carlton, and no-one cares about the Saints in this conversation.

The Dogs, Carlton and St.Kilda all seem to have proposals involving eachother.

North has a proposal with Carlton.

If North considered making a proposal with the Dogs or Saints they'd be right in the box seat to be playing Good Friday footy next year with it most likely being against the Dogs. Now it could easily go either way.

I do have to say it's funny to see North have a patent on selling home games for money of all things. I'd be more than willing to give that one up and let you have it should the opportunity arise. Then we won't be 'stealing your culture'. You can also keep failing to develop a social club. More than happy to put that behind us.

The debt might not be a bad one though. If ever there was a time to build debt and invest in your club it's when interest rates are low.

Hopefully that attitude doesn't cost us.
Lol, in all seriousness.

As though the collective attitude of a few internet randoms in any way reflects the thought processes or attitude of North Melbourne at Board level.

Lol, in all seriousness.

As though the collective attitude of a few internet randoms in any way reflects the thought processes or attitude of North Melbourne at Board level.

Yeah, mate. Because I honestly believe what me and my fellow numpties write on here have any influence on what happens at the club.

The fact is we put forward a proposal that ties us to Carlton, rather than another small market team like ourselves.

No doubt we thought aligning with a big (questionable) team would help us but you have to wonder if we also thought it would elevate us above a team like the Dogs.

If that's the case, it may backfire. And then everyone here will bitch and moan that we got shafted again.

Yeah, mate. Because I honestly believe what me and my fellow numpties write on here have any influence on what happens at the club.

The fact is we put forward a proposal that ties us to Carlton, rather than another small market team like ourselves.

No doubt we thought aligning with a big (questionable) team would help us but you have to wonder if we also thought it would elevate us above a team like the Dogs.

If that's the case, it may backfire. And then everyone here will bitch and moan that we got shafted again.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you wouldn't have a ******* clue as to what the details of our proposal are/were.

Stump up, give us exact details.

Western Bulldogs likely to feature in Good Friday game after AFL Commission approves the push
6d77ec6b336871214aa07f7c0606c805

6d77ec6b336871214aa07f7c0606c805

THE Western Bulldogs have roared into favouritism as a Good Friday participant after their epic Grand Final charge.

North Melbourne is also in a strong position to win a Good Friday berth after lobbying for the slot for decades.

The AFL said on Wednesday it had not ruled out rotating the two teams involved every year, with the fixture out in late October.

But with the Dogs suddenly everyone’s favourite side and having made a strong submission their claims would be hard to overlook.

“We thought it was compelling from that perspective. This is not a cash grab, this is more consistent with what Good Friday is all about.

“If you look at our ratings in the last four weeks of the year they were excellent and we are very exciting to watch and getting a lot of eyeballs watching our games.”

Carlton has told the Herald Sun it is still lobbying hard to be included, with St Kilda putting in their joint submission along with the Bulldogs.

The view within the AFL is that North Melbourne has been so persistent in its lobbying it would be incredibly unlucky to miss out.

AFL fixturing boss Travis Auld told the Herald Sun the league had a difficult decision given the clamouring to play in the historic game.

“Basically we know now we have the support of the Commission if we decide we want to go ahead with it. Now it’s about getting the right mix of teams and the balance of the fixture,’’ he said.

“There is plenty of interest in it so we have still got to determine which market to play it in, but we are not short of interest from teams playing in that slot.

“We have to take into account other requests clubs might have, where the game will be played and what venue.

“We have to take into account the level of interest of clubs and the relevance to the day and the length of time the club has been interested in it.”

Adelaide chairman Rob Chapman this year also pushed for the Crows to be given a slice of Good Friday football, with a rotating schedule possible.
  • Dogs say "Nothing NMFC hasn't said for years." :ballotcheck:
  • Dogs have won GF and (apparently) is "everyone's second favourite team" (right now). :!?:
  • AFL says "lots of requests", we need to balance "where, level of interest, relevance to the day (wtf?), length of time club has been interested"" and "haven't ruled out rotating the two clubs".

Does the AFL have to decide between NM/Carlton and Dogs/Saints? Or, can they work with other permutations? I would have thought they could.

If they haven't ruled out rotating the two clubs, and the length of time the club has been interested remains a factor, then this says to me that we could be there, but either not as the sole game, or perhaps every second year or similar, either with the same opponent or rotating. I wouldn't mind it rotating between Roos, Dogs, Saints IF we didn't win it outright. Two-thirds of a win is better than none. Yr 1: Roos/Dogs, Yr 2: Dogs/Saints, Yr 3: Saints/Roos etc.

The 'wave of emotion and support' for the Dogs shouldn't imo be a factor as it is short-term thinking, with long-term equalisation being a key outcome.

The Crows bid is an interesting one. Will they, like ANZAC Day have other games on that day?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm amazed that supporters of a premiership winning team would spend the next week trawling the interwebs for any mention of their club rather than being out there with their fellow fans celebrating 24/7. Times have certainly changed!

I'm amazed that supporters of a premiership winning team would spend the next week trawling the interwebs for any mention of their club rather than being out there with their fellow fans celebrating 24/7. Times have certainly changed!

Deserve red cards for stupidity.

Me too! I wasn't expecting to hear anything from them on here till about March. They're obviously very new to this.

Yeah it's unreal. I think if it was us we would still be celebrating at a North Melbourne Pub. :stern look

Yeah it's unreal. I think if it was us we would still be celebrating at a North Melbourne Pub. :stern look

By this stage surely the celebrations would have just spilled onto Arden St Oval and we'd be getting kicked off the grass by annoyed council rangers

I expect our fixture to go back to 'normal' next season. Plenty of 4.40pm Sunday games, a 1.10pm game against Gold Coast on Mother's Day, play every interstate team at home in Melbourne, an away game R1 against WC, 1st home Melb game in R3vs GWS then 2 more away games followed by a 'home' match in Tassie vs Swans then a game in Geelong then our 2nd home Melb game in R8 vs St.Kilda where we'll probably be 2-5.......2 games in Perth, no Friday night games.....as for the good Friday game ahahahahahaha......I fully expect to get the scraps and to play the fill in the gaps role for the AFL.

It's quite sad.
I wouldn't come home till Atleast Tuesday post the granny. Only for some food. And stock up on more Xanax.
Would probably only check this place the Monday week from hospital due to excessive nosebleeds.

The idea of Carlton is that they are a "BIG" club that can draw a crowd and the idea that both Carlton and NMFC are book ended between the RCH. Makes sense. But the AFL love to shaft us so no surprise if we are not involved in any capacity.
The #sobraves can go get f***ed and think up there own sh*t.
Gillon. Shall not cross the river as his security set of polo ponies don't know how to order coffees from tattooed people

Remove this Banner Ad

Back