Expansion Good Friday Football is here!

I am not presenting it as a matter of religious belief precisely because I don't want to make it about religion. The question is a matter of civic and footy tradition.

That word "tradition" again.
At times I think we just use the word tradition for tradition's sake.

Watch tradition and all the pseudo Easter Friday posturing get thrown out the door when push comes to shove.
How long will the AFL hold off when they get smacked with numbers and rising interest in other codes on Easter Friday?
Tradition in one hand, dollars in the other. Let me guess which one will win.

We all know what will happen, so let's make it happen as opposed to being forced to allow it to happen.

Gods_Son23

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd & Melb Vic
I've said it before, but I don't know what the difference is and why this is an issue. If there was a game on Good Friday, we wouldn't have the Thursday night game. We just trade one night of footy for another. It's not like we play one less game for the round because there isn't a game on Good Friday.

I've said it before, but I don't know what the difference is and why this is an issue. If there was a game on Good Friday, we wouldn't have the Thursday night game. We just trade one night of footy for another. It's not like we play one less game for the round because there isn't a game on Good Friday.

As long as we have a holiday on Friday, the Thursday night match will also be played.
It's sort of a matter of principle. The public want a Easter Friday match for the obvious reasons, yet are being denied because it is a holy day to a few.

Well at least you get it.

How do you mean at least?

We had a tradition where pubs closed at 6pm? How does that look now?
We had a tradition where shops were only opened until Midday on Saturday and closed on Sunday's? Archaic, right?
We didn't play games on Anzac day and again no shops were open. Now it is one of the biggest games on the footballing calendar with universal love for it.

Easter Friday games will happen. Just how thick-headed do we want to be by not letting them happen because of upholding a "tradition" for the minority?

Because, though you seem to want Good Friday Football, you still seem to realize that it's just a fistful of dollars that's at stake.

Andrew must have himself a pretty good deal tied up personally, when he won't allow it to happen then.

As others have said, tie the day in with the Melbourne Childrens Hospital appeal by all means.
Happy to see a win-win for all concerned, but let's not be tied down with lies because someone thinks he knows what is good for us.

The public want it, the players are happy to play on the day (Why wouldn't they be?) so let's make it happen rather than wait for evolution to occur.

The House

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Pelicans
What's your argument? How do you explain the fact that we follow the Christian days of importance and have public holidays, and have done so forever. Just because it is diluted down in importance and relevance to you and numerous others, does not detract from the fact. The whole argument here is pathetic people wanting to change for the sake of change and belligerence. If it is all about footy, why not have a game a day every week. If your point is that you demand a game on GF because the day has absolutely no significance to you, then I say the public holidays should be scrapped because the majority have no idea why we have a holiday, and if they have an idea , they disrespect it anyway.

To answer the bolded - because we USED to be a Christian country.

There is not a single Christian denomination that feels it's okay to just rock up to church whenever you feel like it - it's clear with each and every one of them that you MUST rock up and listen to their tired old s**t every Sunday....

...yet the majority of studies show that around 94% of Australians don't believe in what the Christian religions are teaching by not turning up.

If you are actually a practicing Christian, going to church on a Sunday isn't something you choose to do or not to do - if you don't believe in church on Sunday, you aint a Christian. - and most of us aren't.

The argument referring to the validity of the holiday is a completely different conversation - as long as it's a public holiday, it's just moronic and literally without one single valid reason that we shouldn't have footy on this public holiday.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
I for one hope the AFL hurry up & do it.

Is 6 years wait quick enough for you ?:p

If Good Friday Night Football does happen, the pioneers of Friday Night Footy deserves to at least play in it. Great way for us to finally get another Friday Night game.

Just played another Friday night game.
Have little doubt the wait is almost over. North and Carlton will finally get their wish in 2016 or 2017.
I'm betting on 2016 at this point it will happen.

Is 6 years wait quick enough for you ?:p

Just played another Friday night game.
Have little doubt the wait is almost over. North and Carlton will finally get their wish in 2016 or 2017.
I'm betting on 2016 at this point it will happen.
We are in 2016 and word is that dogs have got it.

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
We could get something like this one year, with no FTA footy in Melbourne on Saturday/Sunday.

Thursday April 20th - Easter Thursday
Brisbane v Richmond - Gabba - 7:50pm (7)
Friday April 21st - Good Friday
North Melbourne v Carlton - Docklands - 7:50pm (7)
Saturday April 22nd - Easter Saturday
Melbourne v GWS Giants - MCG - 2:10pm (FOX)
Sydney v Gold Coast - 4:40pm (FOX)
West Coast v Adelaide - Perth Stadium - 7:20pm (FOX)
Sunday April 23rd - Easter Sunday
Bulldogs v Fremantle - Docklands - 1:10pm (FOX)
Port Adelaide v St.Kilda - Adelaide Oval - 4:10pm (FOX)
Monday April 24th - Easter Monday
Hawthorn v Geelong - MCG - 3:20pm (7)
Tuesday April 25th - Anzac Day
Collingwood v Essendon - MCG - 3:20pm (7)

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Is there any, any chance at all that the AFL may, may just consider that a Good Friday game or any other marquee stand alone time slot might just involve teams outside Victoria. I know it's a stretch for The Navel Gazing Sporting Capitol Of The Free World but does anyone think that maybe one of these games could be shared amongst the whole f***ing league.
Dead set.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The game(s) would probably get moved from Saturday/Sunday afternoon to avoid double-ups.

It could be something like:
Thursday night (Adelaide)
Friday afternoon (Melbourne)
Friday night (Perth)
Saturday afternoon
Saturday night (Sydney)
Sunday afternoon
Sunday twilight
Sunday night (Queensland)
Monday afternoon (Melbourne)

We could get something like this one year, with no FTA footy in Melbourne on Saturday/Sunday.

Thursday April 20th - Easter Thursday
Brisbane v Richmond - Gabba - 7:50pm (7)
Friday April 21st - Good Friday
North Melbourne v Carlton - Docklands - 7:50pm (7)
Saturday April 22nd - Easter Saturday
Melbourne v GWS Giants - MCG - 2:10pm (FOX)
Sydney v Gold Coast - 4:40pm (FOX)
West Coast v Adelaide - Perth Stadium - 7:20pm (FOX)
Sunday April 23rd - Easter Sunday
Bulldogs v Fremantle - Docklands - 1:10pm (FOX)
Port Adelaide v St.Kilda - Adelaide Oval - 4:10pm (FOX)
Monday April 24th - Easter Monday
Hawthorn v Geelong - MCG - 3:20pm (7)
Tuesday April 25th - Anzac Day
Collingwood v Essendon - MCG - 3:20pm (7)

That is some round of footy.
Do you really think Carlton will get the Good Friday game?

Will be a good day when we don't use non-sensical terms such as Good in Good Friday.
What does that even mean?

Anyway, Dillon is playing coy and holy, by saying that it's 50/50 for next year.
I'd be surprised disappointed should it not go ahead and not just for the football, but for not letting go of some archaic tradition.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is there any, any chance at all that the AFL may, may just consider that a Good Friday game or any other marquee stand alone time slot might just involve teams outside Victoria. I know it's a stretch for The Navel Gazing Sporting Capitol Of The Free World but does anyone think that maybe one of these games could be shared amongst the whole f***ing league.
Dead set.

Agree with this. Especially as it clashes with the Royal Childrens Appeal. It should be a home game for North Melbourne in Hobart. Tassie deserves a marquee game. Maybe North vs Hawthorn!

After all, the interstate clubs get their two guaranteed derbies every year. They are all marquee games, they even have special nicknames for them...

Back