Expansion Good Friday Football is here!

Remove this Banner Ad

I actively do not give a s**t if religious types don't like it.

Yes, a game would be great here. Good Friday TV is excruciating, so having a game of footy to watch would be ideal.

Make it North v Carlton or North v Dogs; and guarantee that they'll have that slot for five years to see if they can make something of it. If they can turn it in to an event, great, let them have it permanently.

Tie it in somehow to benefit the Good Friday Appeal.

Get it done.

I am a Christian and I am actually fine with a game on good Friday.

Personally I think if we play on Good Friday there should be a short ceremony on the ground before the game about what the day is about as we do on ANZAC but I highly doubt the AFL will do that.

It shouldn't be discussed. I agree.

However, people should be more respectful towards peoples beliefs rather than call them fairy tales. I'd like that person to have the guts and walk into a Mosque and tell all in there that their beliefs are fairy tales. If they can do that then I'll say they are not biassed.:D
they aren't walking into a church doing so either, they are telling you on a forum.

Melbourne vs. St Kilda.

Tom Hanks as "Robert Langdon" to do the coin toss.

tom-hanks-inferno-620x350.jpg

Personally I think if we play on Good Friday there should be a short ceremony on the ground before the game about what the day is about as we do on ANZAC but I highly doubt the AFL will do that.

Because it's a ridiculous suggestion.

North can have it the first year but hopefully a relevant team and consistent rivalry can be slotted in there for the future such as one of the state battles (ie Crows v Power, WC v Freo, GWS v Swans... hell I'd even take GC v Bris!) or another proven rivalry such Hawks v Geelong would generate annual interest.

The other way to go is with two up and coming teams that are sure to be rivals for years to come and would make for an interesting take on the day being the Saints v Demons.

I really don't think any of the larger Melbourne clubs (including my own) should get another marquee game either so North for a year to celebrate their Friday night history and then a combination of some other bigger clubs - would be great to have a marquee game involving some non-Victorian clubs for a change too!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North can have it the first year but hopefully a relevant team and consistent rivalry can be slotted in there for the future such as one of the state battles (ie Crows v Power, WC v Freo, GWS v Swans... hell I'd even take GC v Bris!) or another proven rivalry such Hawks v Geelong would generate annual interest.

The other way to go is with two up and coming teams that are sure to be rivals for years to come and would make for an interesting take on the day being the Saints v Demons.

I really don't think any of the larger Melbourne clubs (including my own) should get another marquee game either so North for a year to celebrate their Friday night history and then a combination of some other bigger clubs - would be great to have a marquee game involving some non-Victorian clubs for a change too!
The first suggestion wouldn't make sense at all.

A derby, or a showdown, or whatever, is already going to get a sell out crowd simply because of the nature of the game. Why would you waste a marquee/blockbuster date on a game that's going to be a sell out and well watched anyway?

A little condescending as well to suggest that we should only have it for a year as a reward for doing 30 years of campaigning and then be forced to give it up.

Like that it's happening and I like the matchup. Will be the only game in town so would be surprised if the crowd isn't strong.

Its an absoulte disgrace teams like these two get all the good timeslots where teams that have struggled like the blues, tigers pies and bombers only make do with 4 stand alone games per year where it could quite easily have been 5 it's an utter disgrace! I wont be renewing my fox footy subscription till at least rd 5 in protest.

North V Bulldogs???

#aflyoudrunk

They've left it open to change the teams after a year. I imagine if they don't get 40k that one or both of the teams won't be playing it the year after.

Apparently a rotating fixture.

Wouldn't mind seeing the winner stay on for the next year while the other team is randomly selected.

But I bet they'll keep it all Vic in any case.

That would be pretty cool

The AFL Commission actually green-lighted Good Friday football in 2014, but it took the executive until now to schedule the game. North has long been on the lookout for a marquee match of its own and should expect to hang the 'Full House' sign outside Etihad Stadium when it hosts this year's premiers.

The two clubs attracted a healthy 47,622 fans to a regular Friday night game at Etihad in round six this year.

But it may not be a permanent arrangement for the Kangaroos, with the AFL confirming that the Good Friday teams and locations could change beyond 2017.

"The AFL acknowledges the requests from a number of clubs to play on Good Friday and we will consider the appropriate match-up and venue on a year-to-year basis," Auld said.

The AFL will release the full fixture for 2017 on Thursday.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-25/good-friday-footy-arrives-roos-to-host-dogs-in-2017

They've left it open to change the teams after a year. I imagine if they don't get 40k that one or both of the teams won't be playing it the year after.

Fair enough and these 2 teams are biggest prime time fixture complainers there is.

Now they get the stage and lets see what happens but you cant help but feel neutrals that just want to see a game of live footy will rapidly increase crowd numbers clouding the actual number.

Doggies will smash them while North with their off season cuts will be lucky to be above Bottom 4 next year.

The AFL Commission actually green-lighted Good Friday football in 2014, but it took the executive until now to schedule the game. North has long been on the lookout for a marquee match of its own and should expect to hang the 'Full House' sign outside Etihad Stadium when it hosts this year's premiers.

The two clubs attracted a healthy 47,622 fans to a regular Friday night game at Etihad in round six this year.

But it may not be a permanent arrangement for the Kangaroos, with the AFL confirming that the Good Friday teams and locations could change beyond 2017.

"The AFL acknowledges the requests from a number of clubs to play on Good Friday and we will consider the appropriate match-up and venue on a year-to-year basis," Auld said.

The AFL will release the full fixture for 2017 on Thursday.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-25/good-friday-footy-arrives-roos-to-host-dogs-in-2017

Roos were 5-0 going into that game and they are a massively fair weathered bunch of supporters! When they are down on the ladder their crowds are atrocious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back