Expansion Good Friday Football is here!

Remove this Banner Ad

All sorts of cults garner credibility on the platform of fraud. That's nothing to be respected.

You wouldn't respect the major religions if the numbers were low, just as you/most people, probably don't respect the smaller religions for all their weird & kooky principles..........and the word credible doesn't belong in this conversation.

credible
ˈkrɛdɪb(ə)l/
adjective

synonyms: acceptable, trustworthy, reliable, dependable, sure, good, valid;

For a start the numbers arent low, and you have no idea what i think of smaller religions. Dont try and put me in the same narrow minded anti religious mindset you have. People are entitled to their beliefs - the Good Friday holiday is literally based on a key tenet of Christian religion, and as such some people are liable to be aggrieved by recent developments.

As for credibility - given the events of the Crucifixition actually has historical sources to support it, and thus the Good Friday commemoration , your defiinition of credible might need redefining.

In any case, this thread properly belongs in SRP now id think, so Im out.

You know, now that I've given it some thought.

We should have someone say a few words about what the day is all about before the game.

Something like this perhaps....

Good Friday is a public holiday originally based on the primitive and misguided belief in the fictional scriptures of uneducated desert dwellers written thousands of years ago.

These writings, amongst other things, promote the hatred and murder of homosexuals, the oppression of women, slavery, racism and genocide.

The fundamental cornerstone of this belief is the utterly abhorrent notion that anyone (including children) that doesn't "believe in these stories, will be burnt and tortured for all eternity in "hell".

This threat of "hell"
has been used over the years by many regimes as a method of controlling the masses, and due to to ignorance and the method of indoctrination of the young, has previously been largely successful in convincing the vast majority to follow these beliefs.

This was the case until very recently, when breakthroughs in science exposed many inconsistencies in these claims, such as the Earth not being 8000 years old and created in 6 days and all humans are the direct product of incest.

This, combined with the Western worlds intellectual evolution against many of the horrific teachings of the bible, has led to the day becoming little more than a commercial arrangement between employers and employees based on a now debunked tradition.

Yeah I'd be happy with something like that before the game

We should have someone say a few words about what the day is all about before the game.

Good Friday is a public holiday originally based on the primitive and misguided belief in the fictional scriptures of uneducated desert dwellers written thousands of years ago.

These writings, amongst other things, promote the hatred and murder of homosexuals, the oppression of women, slavery, racism and genocide.

The fundamental cornerstone of this belief is the utterly abhorrent notion that anyone (including children) that doesn't "believe in these stories, will be burnt and tortured for all eternity in "hell".

This threat of "hell"
has been used over the years by many regimes as a method of controlling the masses, and due to to ignorance and the method of indoctrination of the young, has previously been largely successful in convincing the vast majority to follow these beliefs.

This was the case until very recently, when breakthroughs in science exposed many inconsistencies in these claims, such as the Earth not being 8000 years old and created in 6 days and all humans are the direct product of incest.

This, combined with the Western worlds intellectual evolution against many of the horrific teachings of the bible, has led to the day becoming little more than a commercial arrangement between employers and employees based on a now debunked tradition.

so we should just end it all by saying thanks very much and welcome to the new world of humanitarian teaching...

You are also allied with the steam of world intervention and letting people gravitate to their own place while telling them that
they also need to obey you or at least succumb to your ideas about handling their world around them...

Hell is a strong word and some people think that it is very scary and some people also tell me that they misunderstand
the world of China, Japan, Brazil, and other countries who strive to match themselves with everyone else.

Easter and good friday are a very strong lesson in structures, in terms of letting people know that they have people who love them and
will support them..

I thought the Hawks were on board with this and I hope that they may be a club who will participate in the good friday game.

so we should just end it all by saying thanks very much and welcome to the new world of humanitarian teaching...

You are also allied with the steam of world intervention and letting people gravitate to their own place while telling them that
they also need to obey you or at least succumb to your ideas about handling their world around them...

Hell is a strong word and some people think that it is very scary and some people also tell me that they misunderstand
the world of China, Japan, Brazil, and other countries who strive to match themselves with everyone else.

Easter and good friday are a very strong lesson in structures, in terms of letting people know that they have people who love them and
will support them..

I thought the Hawks were on board with this and I hope that they may be a club who will participate in the good friday game.

You're taking 1 and 1 getting 4.

Family, love, empathy, all the great things about being human have come from years of being human.

That's all.

Religion has held that back, that's all it does.

You're taking 1 and 1 getting 4.

Family, love, empathy, all the great things about being human have come from years of being human.

That's all.

Religion has held that back, that's all it does.
I see your one and one and equal four and raise you a world where everyone has a different opinion and still works
together with everyone else.

It is about the same thing and you and I know that for example the Hawks are all about family and togetherness and
seeing it all to the end.. so the only point is that we catch people when they arrive and keep them along with what
we all want for everyone.

This threat of "hell"

What a perfect example of a white male, brought up in middle class Australia screaming for something to be upset about.

What a perfect example of a white male, brought up in middle class Australia screaming for something to be upset about.

A bit racist, not sure of the relevance, but just gor the record I'm a half Sri Lankan/West Indian brought up in East London until I was 13.

I see your one and one and equal four and raise you a world where everyone has a different opinion and still works
together with everyone else.

It is about the same thing and you and I know that for example the Hawks are all about family and togetherness and
seeing it all to the end.. so the only point is that we catch people when they arrive and keep them along with what
we all want for everyone.

I think what you're trying to say is the vast majority of people are good and the vast majority of religious people are too.

I agree, but they are that way despite their religion not because of it.

Its no coincidence the most violent place in Earth is the centre of religion.

A bit racist, not sure of the relevance, but just gor the record I'm a half Sri Lankan/West Indian brought up in East London until I was 13.
So the point still stands, how on earth could you have such strong feelings on the evils of religion having been brought up in that environment?

So the point still stands, how on earth could you have such strong feelings on the evils of religion having been brought up in that environment?

I went to Sunday school like you did.

Then I went to uni bra and travelled.

Is your religion the same as your parents ?

This threat of "hell"

May the Lord have mercy on your soul.

The inaugural Good Friday game will coincide with Lindsay 'the curse' Thomas' 200th gifted game.

As BT said during the finals, 'this is finals footy son, don't bring that s**t here'.

Good Friday already brought into disrepute.

North continuing to pay for the most irresponsible contract extension since Brad Scott.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we finally broke through one ridiculous barrier.

Night Grand Final to struggle through red tape for the next few years, until we finally come to terms of it being a good and natural idea.

Good and natural idea...for whom? Not for the serious fans, just for networks and occasional viewers. The whole stretch of Grand Final Day (when your team is competing, and especially when you have a ticket), from the early morning breakfast, getting to the ground early, enjoying the festivities at the ground, the game itself, then starting the party in earnest once the game is done - that's possibly unique in the world, and to sell it all out for TV networks wanting to squeeze in some more uninterested TV audience? Dud idea.

Good and natural idea...for whom? Not for the serious fans, just for networks and occasional viewers. The whole stretch of Grand Final Day (when your team is competing, and especially when you have a ticket), from the early morning breakfast, getting to the ground early, enjoying the festivities at the ground, the game itself, then starting the party in earnest once the game is done - that's possibly unique in the world, and to sell it all out for TV networks wanting to squeeze in some more uninterested TV audience? Dud idea.

Not for the serious fans? :) What does that even mean?
You don't watch night games through the year and through the finals?
Only people that watch day games should be deemed as serious fans?

It will happen and Gil is even open to a twilight GF....just to whet the appetite of the serious fans....to groom them to the inevitable....a night GF.
Being unique doesn't make it right. Maybe most other 'serious' sports just got it right a long time ago and we're the dinosaurs here.

............and you can't party after 10pm on a Saturday night. Is this Melbourne we're talking about and not North Korea?
Better game spectacle, better pre-game spectacle, more people able to watch the game nationally, more revenue etc etc

Get used to it........it's coming.

Not for the serious fans? :) What does that even mean?
You don't watch night games through the year and through the finals?
Only people that watch day games should be deemed as serious fans?

It will happen and Gil is even open to a twilight GF....just to whet the appetite of the serious fans....to groom them to the inevitable....a night GF.
Being unique doesn't make it right. Maybe most other 'serious' sports just got it right a long time ago and we're the dinosaurs here.

............and you can't party after 10pm on a Saturday night. Is this Melbourne we're talking about and not North Korea?
Better game spectacle, better pre-game spectacle, more people able to watch the game nationally, more revenue etc etc

Get used to it........it's coming.

If you can't find time on Saturday afternoon, that's your problem. An extra 5 hours of partying post match is a big deal.

If you can't find time on Saturday afternoon, that's your problem. An extra 5 hours of partying post match is a big deal.

I'm not talking about me. I'm being objective towards the argument.

It doesn't matter what I want or don't want. It's about what will happen and why and if it is to happen....as was the case for Good Friday...let's pull the tooth and be done with it. It doesn't take that much to do and you may upset some like yourself who can't party beyond 9, but bad luck.
Let's just get on with the game as it should...and will...be played.

I'm not talking about me. I'm being objective towards the argument.

It doesn't matter what I want or don't want. It's about what will happen and why and if it is to happen....as was the case for Good Friday...let's pull the tooth and be done with it. It doesn't take that much to do and you may upset some like yourself who can't party beyond 9, but bad luck.
Let's just get on with the game as it should...and will...be played.
Why "should" it?

Why "should" it?

Huh? I put forward several commercial and spectacle reasons already.

What have you got? Tradition? Who cares for tradition as otherwise we'd still have a VFL comp and games played only on Saturday afternoons.

We also wouldn't be able to shop after midday on a Saturday.....Couldn't drink after 5pm at a bar....Couldn't buy alcohol on a Sunday.....etc. * tradition for traditions sake.

Huh? I put forward several commercial and spectacle reasons already.

What have you got? Tradition? Who cares for tradition as otherwise we'd still have a VFL comp and games played only on Saturday afternoons.

We also wouldn't be able to shop after midday on a Saturday.....Couldn't drink after 5pm at a bar....Couldn't buy alcohol on a Sunday.....etc. **** tradition for traditions sake.
I never said anything about tradition, day games are simply better than night games.

I never said anything about tradition, day games are simply better than night games.

That's debatable of course and I don't have a preference of one over another, but I can't see a situation where night GF's won't come about.

It may never happen, but all the pointers are there to it becoming the case. Time will tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back