Good Friday Football Under Threat | BigFooty

Good Friday Football Under Threat

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by boncer34, Aug 31, 2018.

1. boncer34

boncer34 It's just the way I say things

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Melbourne Storm
    After finally caving in and allowing North to play their much desired Good Friday fixture there is talk that the AFL will scrap it after just 2 years.

Low crowd numbers and supposed minimal impact on the appeal would appear to be the 2 reasons this is coming under question by the head office.

So what's the answer? Personally I dont think 2 years is enough to make a call on it and I think rotating Norths opponent will probably impact the "unique feel" of the day. Should just set 2 teams in and give them 5 years to build the clash into something special.

Thoughts? Should Good Friday footy stay? Should it be a set game?

Fabes, RFCGloryJC and Barry_Badrinath like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Quivorir

Quivorir .

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    LAL-MMA-Victory-CFC-Eagles
    Should have just left it at us V the Dogs and let the rivalry build.

3. boncer34

boncer34 It's just the way I say things

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Melbourne Storm
    Would've been the sensible choice.

4. 00Stinger

00Stinger Duel Group 1 winner

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
    Put two teams that can draw a crowd.

Maybe an interstate game?

Brezsa, Coach_Required and Upgrayedd like this.
  5. Bunk Moreland

Bunk Moreland Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    I actually think the concept is a bit of a dud. You can see the thinking behind it and it was definitely worth a shot... but it’s not exactly like other public holidays. It’s the first day of the only four-day weekend most people have all year, and so many people go away or actually look to do something with the weekend. Far from the holy grail of marquee slots, I don’t know if it’s really that special.

But we’ll never know if it’s capable of a huge crowd while low drawing teams play. Sure they may deserve it - absolutely so, and let them have it - but it’s just a simple fact that they’re never going to draw huge crowds. The AFL need to accept that.

6. sross

sross Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    North Melbourne
    Totally agree. Playing against the Saints was a big mistake. Hardly any of there supporters turned up, at least there was a fair contingent of Bulldogs supporters there in 2017. North drew its usual numbers (about 20k), the crowd difference was in the opposition.

7. Underarm

Underarm Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    That's not necessarily the Saints fault. Their fans had to pay to enter, rather than the free entry of North Melbourne Members.

To make the blockbuster work the 2 clubs need to be set with a rotation of who the home team is. Away team members are more likely to pay to enter if they know they will get in for free the following year. Every other blockbuster does this except for QB.

Andrew Mc and rfctiger74 like this.
  8. Engimal v3

Engimal v3 Club Legend

North Melbourne
    If they decide to throw in the towel on Good Friday Footy after ignoring North over a decade of campaigning, after ignoring Carlton as a team to play even though they actually put effort into the proposal, after slotting the Bulldogs in after absolutely no effort from them before or after being selected, and after removing them the very next year for St Kilda, I'll punch Gil in the kidneys.

They wanted this to fail, and now they'll probably shitcan it even though it hasn't.

9. HotSausage69

HotSausage69 Rookie

Port Adelaide
    This is total bullshit, Gill has totally destroyed our once great game. If he takes Good Friday football from us that will be the absolute last straw for me.

10. Demonic Ascent

Demonic Ascent Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    NY Jets, Boston Celtics, WADA
    TV ratings would be the only thing they care about. If it's rating well they'll keep it as ammo when negotiating the next rights. If ratings are poor they'll scrap it.

KissKiss and hoianbulldog like this.
  11. Silent Alarm

Silent Alarm (sandy)

Fremantle
    Why get rid of it though? It's only good for 7 and it's going to get more money, crowd, and attention than North v Bullies/Saints in any other random Sunday timeslot. Not to mention a marquee excuse for the AFL to pontificate about how good and ethical it is by attaching itself to not just a charity, but a children's charity.

The main issue was upsetting religious sorts or... some weird antiquated shit like that. You do it once and the issue's gone.

They won't axe it.

wagstaff likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Tiger Toffee

Tiger Toffee Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Everton
    If they had brains they would have Essendon v Melbourne as easter in 2019 leads into anzac day and also it would be Richmond v Collingwood on the thursday, but that would require brains and we all know the AFL have none.

13. telsor

telsor Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Habs
    And therein lies the problem. If it's to be a big game, the home team really need to draw more than 'usual'.

That usual is only 20K is also a concern, but that's another debate.

yodellinhank and rfctiger74 like this.
  14. TedDougChris

TedDougChris Premium Platinum

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Charlton Athletic
    Particularly given the unusual sequence of very close games we have had. Dramatic finishes and good for building a real interest in the outcome for both competing clubs and neutrals...

15. JeanLucGoddard

JeanLucGoddard All Australian

North Melbourne
    Gil shoehorned his beloved but broke and crap Saints in there, thus stuffing it.

16. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Team Captain

Melbourne
    I'll be glad to see it canned. Like many other supporters, it's the one day of the year that I can't enjoy watching footy.

Very happy that my team didn't play on Good Friday, but I felt sorry for the many supporters who missed out on watching their teams play because their match was scheduled on that day.

AstroboyUK and PonsfordMagpie like this.
  17. zacaxel1975

zacaxel1975 All Australian

Richmond
    Should just make it the annual grand final rematch slot. At least there would be some interest for neutrals then.

18. Rob

Rob Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    Peel Thunder
    If only there was some way to schedule a game that people might want to watch

Bomberboyokay likes this.
  19. Bloodied52

Bloodied52 Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Good suggestion.

20. flamethrower

flamethrower Norm Smith Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Los Angeles Angels
    upload_2018-8-31_13-49-18.png

2017 - exciting finish before a decent sized crowd. Good 1st effort.

But then in 2018, it all went pear shaped....

upload_2018-8-31_13-50-42.png

9000 less, and a lop sided final score although North supporters would have been happier with the result.

Rather than scrapping it, try playing it between North and their long time bitter rival Essendon. Give the Pies a Thursday night game, so both teams will have a decent break before ANZAC Day 6 days later.

roosmad and Quivorir like this.
  21. 00Stinger

00Stinger Duel Group 1 winner

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
    this man makes sense

Tiger Toffee likes this.
  22. BlueandGoldforever

BlueandGoldforever Club Legend

West Coast
    Maybe if they played the game in a normal time slot, it would attract a bigger crowd.

Gibbsy, Pacman82, MEB_ and 3 others like this.
  23. projectv

projectv All Australian

St Kilda
    When the two teams both had 2.10.22 at half time, you know that's going to be a hard argument to keep playing football on Good Friday.

It's up there with the worst game I've ever paid money to see. And I've seen a lot of dire games involving the Saints.

I'd be happy if the Saints weren't involved. It seemed like North v Bulldogs had potential.

Also, don't put it on such a garbage timeslot. I think it started at 3:20pm? Just make it a night game.

24. Frank Gallagher

Frank Gallagher Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member

Collingwood
    Collingwood v Carlton

boltsbabyblues and Milanista28 like this.
  25. Better Loosen Up

Better Loosen Up Norm Smith Medallist

North Melbourne
    Why an interstate game when the Royal Childrens Hospital Good Friday Appeal is a Victorian thing?