Good Friday Football Under Threat

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The AFL's ability to screw this up for decades is embarrassing. Should be a clone of a Saturday. Game at 1.10pm/1.45pm, second at 4.40pm, third at 7.25pm/7.40pm.

"Oh but there's a telethon on... in 1 city". Okay, put the games on Foxtel.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
The AFL's ability to screw this up for decades is embarrassing. Should be a clone of a Saturday. Game at 1.10pm/1.45pm, second at 4.40pm, third at 7.25pm/7.40pm.

"Oh but there's a telethon on... in 1 city". Okay, put the games on Foxtel.

That’s not gonna happen. The Appeal is probably the biggest and most established charity event in the country. And it’s run by the AFL’s major partner in Ch 7.

If you think the AFL are just gonna barge ahead and schedule footy all day that will take attention from it, you don’t know much about PR.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
That’s not gonna happen. The Appeal is probably the biggest and most established charity event in the country. And it’s run by the AFL’s major partner in Ch 7.

If you think the AFL are just gonna barge ahead and schedule footy all day that will take attention from it, you don’t know much about PR.

The AFL isn't obligated to help Channel 7 Melbourne's programming. Only the biggest nuffies would take issue with it.

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Totally agree. Playing against the Saints was a big mistake. Hardly any of there supporters turned up, at least there was a fair contingent of Bulldogs supporters there in 2017. North drew its usual numbers (about 20k), the crowd difference was in the opposition.
I was there and there were plenty of saints supporters.

They witnessed the worst first half of footy I've ever seen. (Which is rich coming from a Carlton supporter).

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
The AFL isn't obligated to help Channel 7 Melbourne's programming. Only the biggest nuffies would take issue with it.

It’s not about helping Channel 7. It’s about the telethon proceeds falling and for the first time in forever and people asking why? Oh it’s because everybody was watching the footy all day.

It’s really not that complicated.

I was there and there were plenty of saints supporters.

They witnessed the worst first half of footy I've ever seen. (Which is rich coming from a Carlton supporter).
I think I witnessed the worst game of football ever played.

Should have just left it at us V the Dogs and let the rivalry build.
Agree with that.

I think the issue is the AFL are trying to get an instant blockbuster. It just needs few years to become bigger.

Rob R

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It is a lot better than watching the Telethon which would have to be the most boring tv event of the year and should help them raise more money for a worthwhile cause.
Leave it with North Melbourne but make the other team one of the bigger Melbourne teams (that made the finals the year before)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood - Anzac Day, Queens Birthday, Easter Thursday
Carlton - Season opener, Friday nights,
Essendon - Anzac Day, Dreamtime, Country game, etc
Hawthorn - Easter Monday
Geelong - Easter Monday, Country game
Richmond - Season opener, Dreamtime
Melbourne - Queens Birthday

We don’t have a stand-alone marquee fixture and we want to make this our own.
Give it time and it’ll be a success.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
- AFL made it a crappy time slot of friday arvo, not night.
- After a good first year the AFL change the team to THE SAINTS - the lowest drawing team in victoria
- then after a doco comes out from north making the AFL look like absolute scumbags (and that was flattering), they do this.....

i don't even understand the excuse that it "doesn't make as much as the AFL thought it would" - whats the alternative? a weekend where this is on a sunday arvo with an even smaller crowd and having no game at all on a friday raising no money at all?

and if the AFL think another legit reason is due to a bad scoreline then they truly are the most unprofessional organisation i've ever witnessed.

i look forward to the AFL taking this off north and then giving it to GWS vs suns in front of "15,000 people" - when in reality it's a crowd of 6k who went to the footy because they got a free membership with their happy meal and are going to feed their family $1 pies.

That's not necessarily the Saints fault. Their fans had to pay to enter, rather than the free entry of North Melbourne Members.

To make the blockbuster work the 2 clubs need to be set with a rotation of who the home team is. Away team members are more likely to pay to enter if they know they will get in for free the following year. Every other blockbuster does this except for QB.

Or have it as a dogs home game with it being a north replacement game (for Tasmania) until it (good Friday) gets big.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
People need to understand the timeslot is for a reason, and that’s not gonna change. They’re not going to walk all over the appeal so a few more footy supporters might watch a game.

Do the NRL and A-League "walk all over the appeal" when playing on Good Friday night? No.

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well I think the clear lesson here is blockbusters just don’t work unless Essendon is involved

Lol yeah right!!! That is why Richmond and Collingwood drew way bigger crowds the Essendon.

Richmond v Carlton 90,000 R1

Richmond v Melbourne 77,000 R5

Melbourne v Collingwood 83,000 R12

Richmond v Collingwood 88,000 R19

- AFL made it a crappy time slot of friday arvo, not night.
- After a good first year the AFL change the team to THE SAINTS - the lowest drawing team in victoria
- then after a doco comes out from north making the AFL look like absolute scumbags (and that was flattering), they do this.....

i don't even understand the excuse that it "doesn't make as much as the AFL thought it would" - whats the alternative? a weekend where this is on a sunday arvo with an even smaller crowd and having no game at all on a friday raising no money at all?

and if the AFL think another legit reason is due to a bad scoreline then they truly are the most unprofessional organisation i've ever witnessed.

i look forward to the AFL taking this off north and then giving it to GWS vs suns in front of "15,000 people" - when in reality it's a crowd of 6k who went to the footy because they got a free membership with their happy meal and are going to feed their family $1 pies.

The lowest drawing team in Victoria is North.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
It's mostly about TV ratings, and I like having a game to watch. Seems fair to me the smaller Vic clubs get a go on the big stage.

What about scheduling it as a Saints home game, and a replacement game for North members to maximize the crowd and atmosphere?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back