Good Friday Football Under Threat

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is the weird expectations of it having to be a blockbuster, as if it's the only way playing a game on this particular Friday can be justified.

Exactly. Even the supposed terrible crowd of 33,000 for this year's game is around the average for the AFL. The crowd was fine.

This should be a statement about the secular country we live in. If you want to spend Good Friday in prayer or whatever, go for it. Let the rest of us enjoy the day off by doing something we enjoy, like watching the footy.

But the eureka match?

Yeah...That went well.

Richmond home game.
North "Richmond should pay for all the promotion, and we should split the gate"
Richmond: "OK"
Next year
North home game
North: "Richmond and the AFL should pay for the promotion, and we get the gate".
Richmond: "bugger off"

No more Eureka game.

Notice how this is the only 'blockbuster' that only has one set team? I wonder why.

Here's an idea - How about we scrap it entirely, and people just have a day off from life for once? Why does there always need to be some sort of event or entertainment filling a public holiday? Don't people ever just want a day to tune out and do absolutely nothing?

And no, I'm not religious whatsoever. I just get annoyed by this apparent need people have to always be doing something on every single day of the year. I'm sure people's kids won't go insane or send them insane by amusing themselves at home for a day either.

Here's an idea - How about we scrap it entirely, and people just have a day off from life for once? Why does there always need to be some sort of event or entertainment filling a public holiday? Don't people ever just want a day to tune out and do absolutely nothing?

And no, I'm not religious whatsoever. I just get annoyed by this apparent need people have to always be doing something on every single day of the year. I'm sure people's kids won't go insane or send them insane by amusing themselves at home for a day either.

We already have Christmas. And Good Friday isn't Christmas.

I love the idea of North Melbourne owning the Good Friday slot. I think that's fine. Give them a team that isn't s**t, no offense Western Bulldogs.

Give them the GF winner, give them a Collingwood or whatever.

I love Good Friday footy, it needs to stick around. If the difference is dumping North Melb from the slot and keeping Good Friday footy - dump them.

Do what it takes to keep the date. Not Collingwood, Essendon or Richmond. Or Carlton. Who else draws? Could we have Adelaide vs Port Power? West Coast vs Dockers? Sydney vs GWS?

A team that isn't s**t? You mean like the Saints?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd think Essendon and Melbourne will have it next year due to ANZAC week falling the week after the Easter weekend.

Yeah we should give Richmond, Collingwood or Essendon another blockbuster game since those clubs don't get nearly enough.:rolleyes:

Blockbuster fixtures are not a form of charity, they are scheduled to maximise revenue. Clubs like North and St Kilda aren’t big clubs, they don’t maximise revenue and ideally shouldn’t be scheduled on these fixtures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back