Good Friday Football Under Threat

Remove this Banner Ad

How about they add a bit of theater by reenacting the Crucifixion in a pre-game build up. They could nail Gillon to a cross in the center square & one lucky fan could stick a spear in his side before the bounce. Live snake handling outside the ground, the possibilities to make it a real spectacle are endless, they should get right behind the bloody thing if they're going to do it!

And we can feed Rompingwins to the Lions. Everybody wins

Dunno. 4 day weekend is pretty great.

The fact that Eagles v Freo (or really any Eagles home game in general) is a reason to give it a s**t timeslot and not something that is allegedly a marquee blockbuster.

As the saying goes. Jesus died for our four day weekend. He was really a man of the people.

Jesus.... who is he?

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
For they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
For they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
For they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
For they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
For they shall be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
"Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Sorry but what exactly did you rebut? You claimed it was unfair and that the AFL is a business which is exactly my point. Perhaps you should try reading.
if you read my whole comment and not just play buzz word bingo you would've read that i said the AFL doesn't even pay taxes, disputing your point about it being a 'business'. i never ever said it was unfair that the AFL be a business, i disputed that whole point from the very start, hence why i said if it were a business then why doesn't it just cut every team with a membership base of under 50k from any significant time slot.

while i'm at the point of 'fair' - how can you say the AFL doesn't care about fair!? they give priority and compensation picks to try and make the competition as 'fair' as possible! however the AFL does pick and choose when it wants to be fair to suit them, which in it's essence is unfair and fraudulent.

I'm not the one with the flawed logic here. Expecting to be in prime time spots when your team has a small fan base is flawed logic. Who cares if it's fair? The AFL don't. It's a revenue raiser not a charity event. It's a business and forever will be.
Stop trolling you muppet

Blockbuster fixtures are not a form of charity, they are scheduled to maximise revenue. Clubs like North and St Kilda aren’t big clubs, they don’t maximise revenue and ideally shouldn’t be scheduled on these fixtures.

Of course, rich clubs need to get richer and poor clubs deserve to be poor!

I don't know how many times over the years I've heard "stay away from ANZAC Day, if you want a marquee game then make your own", only to now read from the same clubs' supporters: "hey, we deserve Good Friday football, not your club!"

It'd be funny if it wasn't so refleftive of what's actually happening.

if you read my whole comment and not just play buzz word bingo you would've read that i said the AFL doesn't even pay taxes, disputing your point about it being a 'business'. i never ever said it was unfair that the AFL be a business, i disputed that whole point from the very start, hence why i said if it were a business then why doesn't it just cut every team with a membership base of under 50k from any significant time slot.

while i'm at the point of 'fair' - how can you say the AFL doesn't care about fair!? they give priority and compensation picks to try and make the competition as 'fair' as possible! however the AFL does pick and choose when it wants to be fair to suit them, which in it's essence is unfair and fraudulent.

Not paying tax doesn’t mean they’re not all about business and wanting to maximise profits.

Yep, because so many people care about Carlton and would love to watch them in another prime time slot right?

Especially off the back of one of the worst seasons by any club in over 20 years.

I hate carlton with a passion, but even when they are beyond s**t their fans have always rocked up to the round one openner.

The whole point of these quarantined games is they should be drawing a good crowd regardless of form

Of course, rich clubs need to get richer and poor clubs deserve to be poor!

I don't know how many times over the years I've heard "stay away from ANZAC Day, if you want a marquee game then make your own", only to now read from the same clubs' supporters: "hey, we deserve Good Friday football, not your club!"

It'd be funny if it wasn't so refleftive of what's actually happening.

In hindsight I wrote clubs plural but I said that “clubs like North shouldn’t be scheduled” which is not what I intended it to mean. North Melbourne rallied for Good Friday and it’s theirs. I was meaning to say that adding another smaller club like St Kilda or the Western Bulldogs up against them is not a good idea. A bigger club against them would guarantee a strong crowd. North as the home team every year against a club with a big fan base would also give North Melbourne a big revenue opportunity and a wider audience. If they want to use Good Friday as a way to grow, playing against a bigger club would surely fastrack that.

Not paying tax doesn’t mean they’re not all about business and wanting to maximise profits.

and it doesn't mean they are either. look, you clearly don't understand the stakeholders involved here, you've used the same old argument of 'profit' which at the end of the day doesn't hold up. thanks for playing, better luck next time.

and it doesn't mean they are either. look, you clearly don't understand the stakeholders involved here, you've used the same old argument of 'profit' which at the end of the day doesn't hold up. thanks for playing, better luck next time.

Completely delusional if you don’t think that’s all the AFL care about.
But nonetheless...
zDIcBTehGZeqRVz3lv5xK-m1-yr87cgfP6gVTYE2fjMAY9RMzL3FfCDRzRcMgKGnEzTJHXpFLka9qzaYgmBQv5K6EBzCBw5fKy2eNRM=w245-h285-nc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely delusional if you don’t think that’s all the AFL care about.
But nonetheless...
zDIcBTehGZeqRVz3lv5xK-m1-yr87cgfP6gVTYE2fjMAY9RMzL3FfCDRzRcMgKGnEzTJHXpFLka9qzaYgmBQv5K6EBzCBw5fKy2eNRM=w245-h285-nc
you honestly think i don't understand the profit motive? you think that's it's beyond a financial manager to understand that? please, you're in above your head here, your simple argument of 'profit' doesn't stack up IF the AFL is true to their word. i've already detailed this out, you just can't understand it.

but hey, if the gifs make you feel smart post them all you want.

you honestly think i don't understand the profit motive? you think that's it's beyond a financial manager to understand that? please, you're in above your head here, your simple argument of 'profit' doesn't stack up IF the AFL is true to their word. i've already detailed this out, you just can't understand it.

but hey, if the gifs make you feel smart post them all you want.

A financial manager, very impressed mate. Thanks, I will continue to post gifs, they add a bit of colour and movement to the conversation.

Yeah...That went well.

Richmond home game.
North "Richmond should pay for all the promotion, and we should split the gate"
Richmond: "OK"
Next year
North home game
North: "Richmond and the AFL should pay for the promotion, and we get the gate".
Richmond: "bugger off"

No more Eureka game.

Notice how this is the only 'blockbuster' that only has one set team? I wonder why.
Source for this?

Dilena told the In Review podcast series there was work to be done before Good Friday became an entrenched part of the competition's annual fixture.

"It was not a big enough crowd. it was disappointing in the sense, I think, there were only about 1000 St Kilda members who turned up, not that I want to blame it necessarily on them," Dilena said.

-----------------------------

I think everyone who already attended the game knew this, but the biggest * up made was moving it to St Kilda. Just didn't turn up at all on the day. 1000 out of 40000 members for their marquee game of the year is pathetic.

Lol that the AFL think it's Good Friday Footy that doesn't work, rather than realising it's been two garbage match-ups.

Schedule a good game and people will watch. Maybe rotate the Adelaide/Perth/Sydney derbys and give them a stand alone time slot

Yep, because so many people care about Carlton and would love to watch them in another prime time slot right?

Especially off the back of one of the worst seasons by any club in over 20 years.

Hahaha, even after what you just said, we still draw bigger numbers than you by far.......what does that tell you?

I'm not sure why the AFL haven't try to build on the North/Dogs rivalry.

The last 6 matches have had an average winning margin of 7pts, with an average attendance of 33,795.

The problems as I see it: Shithouse time slot. Stale venue. Chopping and changing opponents.

In a lot of ways North morally deserve it because they built up Friday Night Footy in the 90s and have long lobbied the league for this fixture. However, while being a very honest side they’ve probably lacked the box office appeal and excitement they had in the 90’s early 2000s under Pagan with Carey in his pomp. Gaff and Polec could help change this, however, it wasn’t a great move to finally give it to North when it was common knowledge they were embarking on a rebuild after a pretty successful 2012-16 period.

When the two teams both had 2.10.22 at half time, you know that's going to be a hard argument to keep playing football on Good Friday.

It's up there with the worst game I've ever paid money to see. And I've seen a lot of dire games involving the Saints.

I'd be happy if the Saints weren't involved. It seemed like North v Bulldogs had potential.

Also, don't put it on such a garbage timeslot. I think it started at 3:20pm? Just make it a night game.

I'm pretty sure the standard of the game had little correlation to the day it was played on. If they played it on Easter Monday instead would it have been 10.2.62 each at half time instead?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back