Good invention, but postage costs make it impossible to sell..

Remove this Banner Ad

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I researched the market and asked experts and piers, I'm confident I have a good product.
Im usually a fairly glass half empty person unfortunately, so I've been sitting on it for nearly 2 years to see if I'd wake up and realise it's a dumb idea. But it still makes sense.
In a broad industry, it would be a good selling item.

It costs me $2.10 per unit to make including materials and my labour.
I can realistically sell for $3.90 or $4.

Problem is shipping. $9 for postage.
Postage would make the price too expensive for buyers. No way anyone would pay $13 all up.

Even bulk selling to a big business, the shipping costs make it unviable.

I'm thinking my only option is to just sell locally.

Anyone have any ideas how I can sell across Australia?

Last edited:
Researching the market and asking experts and piers, I'm confident I have a good product.
Im usually a fairly glass half empty person unfortunately, so I've been sitting on it for nearly 2 years to see if I'd wake up and realise it's a dumb idea. But it still makes sense.

Postage would make the price too expensive for buyers. No way anyone would pay $13 all up.

Which is why It's not worth getting a patent.
My partner makes the best beeswax wraps on the market.
Same problem, local market awesome and after an amazing 4 years trial the product just doesn't work in any other form to market re price.

My partner makes the best beeswax wraps on the market.
Same problem, local market awesome and after an amazing 4 years trial the product just doesn't work in any other form to market re price.
Yep it's frustrating when you've got a good product but can't sell it outside your own town.

You see China make and distribute items for bugger all. They have a free shipping for small business rule. We should have the same. They seem to be able to get or make everything for bugger all too.

It's possible to make good money in products in Australia. But it's usually only the big businesses that can do it.

One option would be to get it into a trial run at suitable stores. Would trim your margin a bit, but it would allow you to test the demand on a wider scale.

I researched the market and asked experts and piers, I'm confident I have a good product.

Anyone have any ideas how I can sell across Australia?
Whats the invention?

promise we wont steal it.

it would just help us find the best solution for you.

:devil::devil::devil:

The postage costs negate that chance.

how are you calculating postage? given it costs $9 to post im assuming it's a reasonable size/weight.
generally if you're shipping/freighting a large quantity (like a whole container) then the costs will be a fraction of that.

depending on scale, you might also be able to get favourable shipping rates

alternatively it could be manufactured in different locations either under licence or by hiring people to build for you

hard without knowing what sort of product it is but if it's a good product and reasonably priced you should be able to make it work

Why don't you make a small batch and see if people are willing to cop the shipping cost.
Plenty of lazy campaigners that dgaf how much shipping is because they can't be ****ed getting off their fat arse to buy anything else.

Also $9 is not actually a legit shipping cost.
If you have enough sales that will cut right down, australia post have several business platforms you can use (mypost business is free and gives you discounts up to 25% I think).

People pay heaps on shipping all the time, I charge people in the US $25AUD for a 200g item that costs $5 and people buy it all the time, they pay even more than that in some states in the US because tax is included. It's madness, they pay $45AUD for something I'm selling for $5 :/

Edit: old post I hope you are rich and famous now :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back