Good luck Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

You're a tough cookie. "Heading into Finals" means "when you've consolidated a Finals spot", not when "already in the Finals". How have I changed my argument when I'm repeating the exact same question to you, and it still means the same? LOL

Anyway, let's just say we agree to disagree. And I don't wanna waste anymore time with you after this sentence.

Aka I know you are right but don't want to say it so I'm going to try and pretend the argument is over.

If you are top of the ladder halfway through the season you have a finals spot unless you're north Melbourne

Aka I know you are right but don't want to say it so I'm going to try and pretend the argument is over.

If you are top of the ladder halfway through the season you have a finals spot unless you're north Melbourne

Now that's a nice memory. The utter confidence I had going into the 2016 EF that I booked flights to Sydney the following week in the first quarter for $150 return. They were about $600 one way by the final siren.

Yeh and your understanding included a forced retiring VB, cooked Thommo who played SANFL bar 1 final gift, near done Douglas and 2 guys who weren't even on our list. And CEY. But you do happen across the issue. We saw Sloane, Gibbs and Crouch x 2 and say to ourselves there's our midfield for the next 3-5 years, that area is sorted. If we lose one, we've got Douglas and CEY to cover a few minutes. We don't run a deep midfield, we don't share the load, so our juniors become gun SANFL mids which isn't the same as a gun AFL mid. Our first choice mids play as mids, full stop. Everyone else that gets a go is just covering a couple of minutes here and there.
I gave you a list of names that were midfielders back in 2016. I didn't rate VB above Lyons back in 2016. I did rate Thommo above Lyons, and CEY was thereabouts comparable to Lyons (back in 2016).

Here are the rankings in our 2016 BnF:
1. Rory Sloane 268
2. Eddie Betts 249
3. Tom Lynch 215
4. Daniel Talia 192
5. Taylor Walker 185
6. Brodie Smith 183
7. Matt Crouch 180
8. Kyle Hartigan 173
9. Charlie Cameron 168
10. Josh Jenkins 167

Lyons was not in this top 10, so you can say he was solid but nothing elite or earth-shattering. This carried on in 2017 and 2018 when he was at the Suns - solid but nothing that screamed "elite". Crouch bros, Sloane, and Douglas were definitely ahead of him in the pecking order of best players, coming into the 2017 season.

In a recent article, even Lyons himself admitted he wasn't up to elite standards in early 2019 but managed to steel himself to become the player he is today:
He quoted "It's a big turnaround in where my footy could have been heading all those years ago when I wandered out of Gold Coast" (2017-2018).

I gave you a list of names that were midfielders back in 2016. I didn't rate VB above Lyons back in 2016. I did rate Thommo above Lyons, and CEY was thereabouts comparable to Lyons (back in 2016).

1. Rory Sloane 268
2. Eddie Betts 249
3. Tom Lynch 215
4. Daniel Talia 192
5. Taylor Walker 185
6. Brodie Smith 183
7. Matt Crouch 180
8. Kyle Hartigan 173
9. Charlie Cameron 168
10. Josh Jenkins 167

Lyons was not in this top 10, so you can say he was solid but nothing elite or earth-shattering. This carried on in 2017 and 2018 when he was at the Suns - solid but nothing that screamed "elite". Crouch bros, Sloane, and Douglas were definitely ahead of him in the pecking order of best players, coming into the 2017 season.

In a recent article, even Lyons himself admitted he wasn't up to elite standards in early 2019 but managed to steel himself to become the player he is today:
He quoted "It's a big turnaround in where my footy could have been heading all those years ago when I wandered out of Gold Coast" (2017-2018).

Tell me again how CEY and Lyons were equivalent in 2016 please.

Also didn't Lyons finish 12th or so in 2016? Makes your top 10 really disingenuous.

Also I seem to recall discussion from the time indicating he did better when you considered it on a votes per game perspective

Last edited:

1. Rory Sloane 268
2. Eddie Betts 249
3. Tom Lynch 215
4. Daniel Talia 192
5. Taylor Walker 185
6. Brodie Smith 183
7. Matt Crouch 180
8. Kyle Hartigan 173
9. Charlie Cameron 168
10. Josh Jenkins 167

Christ, anyone who watched footy could see he was going to be good, he had a break out year in 2016 when he was basically stuck on a HFF with bursts through the guts, we could have kept this guy for 1890k a season but we moved him on and that is on the people in this club. He was actually very good at GC, he averaged much the same as he does now at Brisbane but there was a definite personality clash with Jabba, so much so that Jabba wouldn't have him at the club.

We let this guy go because we thought Thommo would go on forever, even if his form suggested otherwise, we gave Thommo a gold watch and on Saturday, we can watch the guy we gave away, ream us.

The decision is unjustifiable, it sucked them, sucks more now.

Christ, anyone who watched footy could see he was going to be good, he had a break out year in 2016 when he was basically stuck on a HFF with bursts through the guts, we could have kept this guy for 1890k a season but we moved him on and that is on the people in this club. He was actually very good at GC, he averaged much the same as he does now at Brisbane but there was a definite personality clash with Jabba, so much so that Jabba wouldn't have him at the club.

We let this guy go because we thought Thommo would go on forever, even if his form suggested otherwise, we gave Thommo a gold watch and on Saturday, we can watch the guy we gave away, ream us.

My favourite part about Thommo's token 2017 game was he gave away more free kicks than he got disposals.

The question wasn’t “will Lyons be good?” But more “when will he reach his peak?” The answer it seems was 3 years after we let him go.

Was he worth the gamble to wait that long to keep on our team back in 2017? With the benefit of hindsight, it would seem worthy to keep him at the right asking price. But back then, it was much less obvious and closer to a 50/50 call.

The question wasn’t “will Lyons be good?” But more “when will he reach his peak?” The answer it seems was 3 years after we let him go.

Mate, go check his stats, season by season since he left, the answer seems to be the year after he left us. He has been putting up pretty similar stats each year since he left. I think the question you are asking is how long after he left did it take for the AFL commentators to notice him...

Mate, go check his stats, season by season since he left, the answer seems to be the year after he left us. He has been putting up pretty similar stats each year since he left. I think the question you are asking is how long after he left did it take for the AFL commentators to notice him...
I checked briefly in recent days. He was averaging around 24 disposals in 2017, 2018 at Gold Coast. He was still a B to B+ midfielder then. Even at Brisbane, he was still averaging around 24 disposals in 2019 and 2020. He seem to be playing better because of the overall better structures and player personnel. It’s only really been this particular year where he’s having his breakout season, and currently averaging 28 disposals.

The 4 main mids we had in 2017 (Crouch Bros, Sloane and Douglas) were all performing better than Lyons during this year. Even Gibbs in 2018, had an arguably better year than Lyons in a comparable period, with 26 disposals per game (Lyons with 24 per game).

I checked briefly in recent days. He was averaging around 24 disposals in 2017, 2018 at Gold Coast. He was still a B to B+ midfielder then. Even at Brisbane, he was still averaging around 24 disposals in 2019 and 2020. He seem to be playing better because of the overall better structures and player personnel. It’s only really been this particular year where he’s having his breakout season, and currently averaging 28 disposals.

The 4 main mids we had in 2017 (Crouch Bros, Sloane and Douglas) were all performing better than Lyons during this year. Even Gibbs in 2018, had an arguably better year than Lyons in a comparable period, with 26 disposals per game (Lyons with 24 per game).

The fact that disposals alone are your measuring stick shows how little you are grasping this.

1. Rory Sloane 268
2. Eddie Betts 249
3. Tom Lynch 215
4. Daniel Talia 192
5. Taylor Walker 185
6. Brodie Smith 183
7. Matt Crouch 180
8. Kyle Hartigan 173
9. Charlie Cameron 168
10. Josh Jenkins 167

Honestly, what has the b&f got to do with our discussion on your idiotic list of midfielders? I've not once mentioned the b&f. And VB played 3 games in 2016, not due to injury, but form and all were at half back. His midfield days were well and truely done. And your list of so called mids included 2 guys who weren't even on our list and CEY who played 2 injury cover games in 2016.

You can rate Thommo above Lyons in 2016 all you like, lots of the usual suspects did. Reality is that he was cooked, couldn't do anything outside of move from one stoppage to the next, gathering a paltry 20 touches per game whilst playing the full 80% TOG in the stoppage rotation. There's a reason he got his extension very late in the piece and it was described as a coaching role and he spent every game bar one in the SANFL.

Now, since you brought up b&f results, I have noticed Sanders mention that Lyons finished 12th. So, unless the 11th ranked guy is a mid, that would make Jarryd the 3rd highest ranked midfielder despite playing the bulk of the year in his lesser favoured role at half forward. There is no argument that stacks up, you are just blindly defending the club as always. The sad thing is that you believe that you are making valid points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All true, but I think $1.9m would have had me move him on too.

My favourite part about Thommo's token 2017 game was he gave away more free kicks than he got disposals.

It was hilarious watching him hobble around. He played 70% TOG, all in the midfield at stoppages and had about 6 touches till about 5m to go. And I bet if we got ourselves a replay he'd be lining up in the centre square at the opening bounce. I recall that he started late that season due to injury and took a fair few games to crack 25+ touches in the 2s. But as soon as he did he was on AA saying how tough it was to be performing well in the 2s and not getting selected in the 1s. No wonder we can't change the selfish culture of seniors playing injured and denying kids their only opportunities. We bring guys like him and Sauce back into the club to keep that shot stain of a culture thriving. We'll see it this week with Sloane in a bottom 6 year just as we did with Lynch and last year with Sloane, Tex and Talia in a ******* spoon year. They prey on our continuity/experience dependent selection philosophy.

Lyons when we let him leave was a half forward / mid with obvious ability. He had cemented a place in the side and even if he wouldn't be a midfield starter (based on Crouch x2 / Sloane being the main ones), there was zero reason to not pay him as a promising young player. Zero.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back