Good luck Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

I am really disappointed in the way the club has handled this player. I am not particularly disappointed that we didnt manage to sign Gibbs (who looks likely to stay where he is). But losing Lyons and keeping Thommo in our midfield is a massive, massive downgrade on where our team was heading. This really is a poor outcome for the club. We should be moving on Camporeale and Co, not Lyons. For me Pyke is quickly undoing a lot of the impressive things that he managed to do with the team last season. Losing Lyons, keeping Thommo, playing Douglas and Mackay and not giving opportunities to the next generation of players. Not happy.

Unless we manage to sign Gibbs or Rockliff for (at most) pick 13 and whatever we get for Lyons, this trade period has bordered on incompetence.

Good Luck Lyons. You deserve much better than the way we treated you.

Yeah cant see the thought process behind this one.
Averaging 21 a game and just under a goal a game for 2016, overs for his career so far.
I feel he was only just warming up.
Biggest blunder in trading year. Obviously all the eggs were in the Gibbs basket and looks like we lose a midfielder in Lyons and gain nothing. I was quite happy to let natural development be the improvement in our midfield without Gibbs but letting Lyons go is pathetic if the rumoured pay salary is correct. I would be cutting the losses now and upping the contract for Lyon NOW. At least we will have a low pick in 13 to get a younger player who could be OK. So very disappointed to see Jarryd Lyons, a class footballer and classy bloke to boot. I hope he does well if he is transferred.
Looks like CEY will get a chance to show his wares if he is given a chance.

I am not particularly disappointed that we didnt manage to sign Gibbs (who looks likely to stay where he is).

Why so pessimistic? I don't we would have given up Lyons if we didn't know we could secure Gibbs.

Having said that, Gibbs is an upgrade over Lyons for sure, but how much of a difference does it make to the midfield if we are losing a quality player like Lyons in the process?

Will definitely be my favourite non-Adelaide player. A true footballer with good skills by hand and foot, goal sense, competent marking ability and the ability to win clearances as much as most of our perennial center bounce attendees.

All the best mate.

Why so pessimistic? I don't we would have given up Lyons if we didn't know we could secure Gibbs.

Having said that, Gibbs is an upgrade over Lyons for sure, but how much of a difference does it make to the midfield if we are losing a quality player like Lyons in the process?

Well not so much pessimistic. I dont pretend to have a clue what will happen. But today people are saying its not going to happen and I dont actually want it to happen for anything more than one first round and one second round pick. Plus, taking 13 to the draft is not the worst thing. What I dont like is losing Lyons and keeping Thommo. I agree with you, it will make a difference if that upgrade does happen. But how much, I am not so sure either because Lyons was on the improve and if Bryce Gibbs best season was 2014, then will be 3 years ago, so looks like he is already on the decline.

Criminally underated by our club and treated as such.
Dont know if its a perspective thing or not but I would love for the guys who make the big calls to try watching the game at home on TV with a couple of beers, or join me up in the nosebleed section at home games , because I swear to god they are watching a different game to me most of the time.

All the best JL. Hope you rip it up up there and make us sorry for treating you with such disdain.

Weve lost a good one here folks and I cant for the life of me figure out why.

Funny how everyone is kissing goodbye to Lyons, but also kissing goodbye to Gibbs, despite a deal having not been done for either.

Say what? I havent had time to catch up yet.
Has he been shunted/traded or hasnt he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we should have paid what he asked?
Is he indispensable to our list build?
What he asked was a fair bit lower than $350k too. I'm on record as saying Thompson should have been retired and a bit extra shifted to Lyons. He was under no illusions that he would still be battling for a spot but would have been excellent depth, relatively cheap and most importantly dead keen to stay in Adelaide.

He isn't from Beaufort so I don't expect you to be able to understand.

What he asked was a fair bit lower than $350k too. I'm on record as saying Thompson should have been retired and a bit extra shifted to Lyons. He was under no illusions that he would still be battling for a spot but would have been excellent depth, relatively cheap and most importantly dead keen to stay in Adelaide.

He isn't from Beaufort so I don't expect you to be able to understand.
I agree re Thommo but we need to improve our midfield rotation not tread water, just my opinion.
You don't think CEY can step up if he's given the opportunity?

I agree re Thommo but we need to improve our midfield rotation not tread water, just my opinion.
You don't think CEY can step up if he's given the opportunity?
I do but if Grigg goes and Wigg asks for a trade at the end of next year then depth all of a sudden looks a bit iffy. Remember that we most likely won't have another injury free year like this one.

Well that's the other issue isn't it, even Bicks might grudgingly concede that he's offered more this year than at least two of those players.
Not even begrudgingly, as long as it's not Douglas who I'm prepared to cut some slack on the back of the injuries he's sustained the last couple of years...does need to step up next season but.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back