Good luck Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit premature this thread. Having said that - i really loved lyons year. 2nd rounder or a part of a gibbs/rockliff trade or its a disgrace that he is going.
I've always been known to go early

Correct me if I'm wrong but when you think your premiership window is about to open shouldn't you be trying to strengthen your list not weaken it?

As for Lyons, I thought he was too slow to make it. Good luck to the kid. Shows that if you have footy instinct, desire, clean hands and you are composed in traffic you can make it regardless of leg speed and/or athletic ability. Given all this, why are we trading him again?

What would a strong club do - offer the promising youngster in Lyons a better deal or give a 34 year old, who just had a really poor year, another contract? AFC - LOL.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when you think your premiership window is about to open shouldn't you be trying to strengthen your list not weaken it?

As for Lyons, I thought he was too slow to make it. Good luck to the kid. Shows that if you have footy instinct, desire, clean hands and you are composed in traffic you can make it regardless of leg speed and/or athletic ability. Given all this, why are we trading him again?

What would a strong club do - offer the promising youngster in Lyons a better deal or give a 34 year old, who just had a really poor year, another contract? AFC - LOL.
It would depend on what we receive in the trade wouldn't it?

Lyons, CEY and Grigg are all much of a muchness. All capable of racking them up but just slow. We can afford to lose two of those 3 and not see one bit of difference in the slightest to our game. Good luck to Lyons, I hope he can establish himself further but I still feel he will be that 20th-24th man in any team because of a complete lack of weapons that make him standout.

Lyons, CEY and Grigg are all much of a muchness. All capable of racking them up but just slow. We can afford to lose two of those 3 and not see one bit of difference in the slightest to our game. Good luck to Lyons, I hope he can establish himself further but I still feel he will be that 20th-24th man in any team because of a complete lack of weapons that make him standout.

Lyons has shown this year he is AFL standard the other 2 are not.

Lyons has shown this year he is AFL standard the other 2 are not.

Was Lyons guaranteed of a spot next year though? Someone needs to make way for Menzel, Hampton, Wigg, Knight, Milera etc. I think Lyons, Mackay, Douglas and Thompson are the big losers of any shift in selection policies. Hence why Lyons got offered such a low contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
While I'm really sorry to see him go, I wish Jarryd all the best and I'm really really pissed that the club has let him go. We are going to regret this.

Yeah cant see the thought process behind this one.
Averaging 21 a game and just under a goal a game for 2016, overs for his career so far.
I feel he was only just warming up.
Never appreciated at the club. He was dropped mid season to make way for an under done Crouch. A move that cost us the game. It was never repeated.
Presented with a contract that would force his hand. After showing his quality in 20 games he is still vastly underrated by many on BF.

Trade week is not done yet so let's see how this pans out but I'm hoping where ever you end up they appreciate your obvious strengths.

Best of luck to him. Can't believe we hang onto plodders like Dougie (who's never going to get any better), and then force someone like Lyons (who's had a breakout year) out. F*cking Gibbs better be worth it!

If in the rare chance Thommo has a good preseason and actually plays some decent footy next year of course we'll all applaud him and the club.....

fat chance!

Good on him if he does. Doesn't change the fact that he's 34 years old, steadily trending downwards performance wise and the money we are paying him (some) could have been diverted to a much younger player who has shown loyalty, proven to be able to come in and play his role, was cheap, wanted to stay in Adelaide and also presumably has some improvement in him.

This aint a Thommo bashing exercise.

Was Lyons guaranteed of a spot next year though? Someone needs to make way for Menzel, Hampton, Wigg, Knight, Milera etc. I think Lyons, Mackay, Douglas and Thompson are the big losers of any shift in selection policies. Hence why Lyons got offered such a low contract.

No one "made way" for Lyons. He played his guts out in the SANFL until he couldn't be ignored.

I think our team will be better with Hampton, Knight, Milera and Menzel in it. That is if they are playing good, consistent football and are fit enough.

Big Lyons fan. Good size, nice goal sense, wins his own football. Sad to see him go. Best of luck at the GC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back