Good luck Jarryd Lyons

Shaz2012

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Clearly the suns and JL are not on the same page, that much is clear

Brisbane, who induced him to ask GC to release him, couldn’t be more blatant in what they think about him either
Lyons is an ok player and it’s laughable that a club like suns think they can pick and choose. Here is a guy that was happy to join this basketcase club and he more than lived up to whatever they could have hoped for.

But let’s not get carried away about what Lyons is in the grand scheme of the AFL. He is exactly as described (I think by Brisbane). He is a cog in the machine. Decent enough cog, but he isn’t influencing wins and losses and who plays finals.

We got a shit deal for him, but he isn’t best 22 at our club. If we are having to play him or CEY, they are at best just trying to hold their own and let our better players get us the wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WFL

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thread starter #1,527
Like Neeld at Melbourne. Let's just say the jury is out on Dew. We had a low 2 year contract in front of Jarryd then GC, pre Dew offered him 3 at more. Brisbane have now offered a further 2 years. Evidence thus far points to Dew having made a bit of a mistake. Time will tell though.
I still endorse a preseason camp at Sizzlers.

tinman

Club Legend
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kilkenny Cats, WWT Eagles
Lyons is an ok player and it’s laughable that a club like suns think they can pick and choose. Here is a guy that was happy to join this basketcase club and he more than lived up to whatever they could have hoped for.

But let’s not get carried away about what Lyons is in the grand scheme of the AFL. He is exactly as described (I think by Brisbane). He is a cog in the machine. Decent enough cog, but he isn’t influencing wins and losses and who plays finals.

We got a shit deal for him, but he isn’t best 22 at our club. If we are having to play him or CEY, they are at best just trying to hold their own and let our better players get us the wins.
Didn't we get the pick we used for McPherson and another for Lyons?

It's way too early to call if that was a poor trade. But I wouldn't swap McPherson for Lyons now as McPherson showed real promise at the back end of this year and as long as he gets his body right, he stands a fair chance of being best 22. He seems highly rated by the club.

Lyons was depth for us.

So whilst McPherson may never play a game for us, who knows, I'm comfortable with the trade.

Cap

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

It's way too early to call if that was a poor trade. But I wouldn't swap McPherson for Lyons now as McPherson showed real promise at the back end of this year and as long as he gets his body right, he stands a fair chance of being best 22. He seems highly rated by the club.

Lyons was depth for us.

So whilst McPherson may never play a game for us, who knows, I'm comfortable with the trade.
I feel like McPherson is some sort of enigma.

I've never read anything negative about the guy but have no idea how he plays and what he does.

Poholke has removed any confidence i have in the club in extending contracts of players who don't play an AFL game.

Why is he rated? He's not the next CEY or Matthew Smith is he?

Shaz2012

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide

Lyons was depth for us.

I suppose he is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for him. Gold Coast may have been the highest or only bidder. Brisbane didn’t even give up a junk pick for him, which is the thing that is hard to process in all of this.

So in summary, both suns and Brisbane (clubs without TPP pressure) were willing to give him 3 years but not willing to give up much in terms of draft picks. Guess everyone can have their own interpretation of what that means.

1970crow

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
I suppose he is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for him. Gold Coast may have been the highest or only bidder. Brisbane didn’t even give up a junk pick for him, which is the thing that is hard to process in all of this.

So in summary, both suns and Brisbane (clubs without TPP pressure) were willing to give him 3 years but not willing to give up much in terms of draft picks. Guess everyone can have their own interpretation of what that means.
Caro said on AA that even with Lynch going the Suns had serious cap pressure. Complete shambles over the last couple of years.

1970crow

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just thought I'd skim through the article and see who was our representative in this puff piece and whether any of recent departures made the list.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-11/liked-the-look-who-impressed-for-your-club-in-jlt2

Chayce Jones
Adelaide's first-round draft choice is putting pressure on Don Pyke and his coaching staff to pick him for round one. Jones didn't win a pile of the ball against the Giants – just nine touches. But his intent around the contest was at a high level. Although he projects as a midfielder the longer his career goes, Jones is set to make his mark as a pressure forward early in his career. That could come as soon as a first-up contest against Hawthorn in front of an adoring Adelaide Oval crowd. - Ben Guthrie

Jarryd Lyons
The Lions were delighted to acquire Lyons at the end of last season when Gold Coast let him go with a year to go on his contract. The 26-year-old had forged a solid track record as a hard-nosed clearance winner over seven seasons with Adelaide and the Suns, but showed he has more strings to his bow in the Lions' win over Melbourne on Saturday, kicking four goals as he spent extended time in attack. Brisbane coach Chris Fagan said after the match Lyons was a more capable goalkicker than most people realised, which suggests he could be regularly deployed inside the Lions' forward 50m arc this season. As Fagan noted: "It's good if you've got midfielders who can go forward and be dangerous." - Nick Bowen

MRB37

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Caro said on AA that even with Lynch going the Suns had serious cap pressure. Complete shambles over the last couple of years.
Supposedly they were doing shit like immediately giving their first round picks $400K-$500K deals to sign on for a few more years.

King Elvis

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jarryd Lyons
The Lions were delighted to acquire Lyons at the end of last season when Gold Coast let him go with a year to go on his contract. The 26-year-old had forged a solid track record as a hard-nosed clearance winner over seven seasons with Adelaide and the Suns, but showed he has more strings to his bow in the Lions' win over Melbourne on Saturday, kicking four goals as he spent extended time in attack. Brisbane coach Chris Fagan said after the match Lyons was a more capable goalkicker than most people realised, which suggests he could be regularly deployed inside the Lions' forward 50m arc this season. As Fagan noted: "It's good if you've got midfielders who can go forward and be dangerous." - Nick Bowen
We knew he was a quality goal kicker :D

doppelganger47

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just thought I'd skim through the article and see who was our representative in this puff piece and whether any of recent departures made the list.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-11/liked-the-look-who-impressed-for-your-club-in-jlt2

Jarryd Lyons
Forgot Lyons went to Brisbane. He was doing well at Gold Coast, and good to see him doing even better now at Brisbane.
Supposedly they were doing shit like immediately giving their first round picks $400K-$500K deals to sign on for a few more years.
That's probably what Luko/Rankine will be offered this year to extend.

Jarman3

Club Legend
AFL Club
Adelaide
Forgot Lyons went to Brisbane. He was doing well at Gold Coast, and good to see him doing even better now at Brisbane.
That's probably what Luko/Rankine will be offered this year to extend.
Hopefully there's not enough space left in the cap for that. And by the end of this year we should have the Mackay / Otten warchest to throw at them :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom