Good luck Jarryd Lyons

Huntercrow

Dwat that Wabbit
Feb 7, 2009
Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Adelaide
At the time it was said to be about $10k more despite having had a pretty good year and proving himself more than capable at the level. Insulting would be putting it mildly. Pyke and Campo had no idea at all.
He had more than a pretty good year and his following 2 seasons at the Suns really put this offer in perspective.

Huntercrow

Dwat that Wabbit
Feb 7, 2009
Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pleased he's found a home and is now able to play regular quality football

He was just at the wrong club. The people who mattered here didn't rate him. Fortunately a large slice of those have now been fired in disgrace
Hooray!!!!!....finally, posters maybe acknowledging that we F'kd up!! Not only did we undervalue his contribution and improvement but we also took our eye off the ball while putting all of our eggs in the Gibbs basket (first time around) at the expense of signing Lyons.

I believe we threw a stupid offer at the Lyons camp that was always going to be to be renegotiated at the end of the trade period. But we got side tracked by SOS and his refusal to move on Gibbs. In the meantime the Suns threw a decent contract at his management that he could not refuse. His next 2 seasons were quite outstanding.

As was his last season with Brisbane.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hooray!!!!!....finally, posters maybe acknowledging that we F'kd up!! Not only did we undervalue his contribution and improvement but we also took our eye off the ball while putting all of our eggs in the Gibbs basket (first time around) at the expense of signing Lyons.

I believe we threw a stupid offer at the Lyons camp that was always going to be to be renegotiated at the end of the trade period. But we got side tracked by SOS and his refusal to move on Gibbs. In the meantime the Suns threw a decent contract at his management that he could not refuse. His next 2 seasons were quite outstanding.

Nah we thought he’d provide currency to get Gibbs but Carlton stupidly said no. Then Gold Coast came with an offer which he accepted, they knew they had us and screwed us at trade table, just like they did with Greenwood. When it comes to trading we are their bitches.

Huntercrow

Dwat that Wabbit
Feb 7, 2009
Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Adelaide
Basically.

Obviously I'm a huge Lyons fan, and have been for years.

Our treatment of him, and giving him away, was a joke.

Those responsible are now largely gone, so, while it still pisses me off, I'm mainly just glad to see him performing so well at Brisbane, and proving what a quality player he is (especially considering he's largely acknowledged to be a fantastic guy).

Massive blunder by us, add it to the list, but good on the lad/.
Yep Elvis lives....

There was a time we would either delist players or move them on and they would typically fade into obscurity. The club just knew that they had wrung every last drop from their recruits.

Recently we have delisted or lowballed ex players like Henderson and Lyons with various degrees of embarrassment. We are not as thorough at spotting talent like we were in the past. Or do we just dismiss this as spent talent finding better opportunities at less successful clubs?

Huntercrow

Dwat that Wabbit
Feb 7, 2009
Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nah we thought he’d provide currency to get Gibbs but Carlton stupidly said no. Then Gold Coast came with an offer which he accepted, they knew they had us and screwed us at trade table, just like they did with Greenwood. When it comes to trading we are their bitches.
Yeah the tide has turned since the good old days when we would have our way with them. But I don't think it was a smart move to lowball Lyons then offer him as trade bait to Carlton as a valuable player. That doesn't make sense.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Another thing to consider is why the hell did the Suns get rid of him? He's exactly the type of midfielder they could use.
Because then pick 1 may have been in doubt, not to mention all the concessions.

They're in a better place without him unfortunately due to the terrible system the AFL came up with

Huntercrow

Dwat that Wabbit
Feb 7, 2009
Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Adelaide
Another thing to consider is why the hell did the Suns get rid of him? He's exactly the type of midfielder they could use.
Maybe a question only Stewie Dew can answer.
Junior jumped ship and Jarryd was looked at as one of his successors after 2 seasons working alongside him to a high standard. From memory he was then injured and his form was ok when he returned and although he was down on his previous 3 seasons his numbers were still good.
I think he was dropped to the reserves twice after returning and then inexplicably delisted with no explanation. I remember visiting the Suns forum to get some sort of possible explanation but there was none. Shortly after Brisbane dived on him and before you could say "Jarryd is a Lion"....... he was a Lion.

Something happened there with Dew. Who has been very quiet considering Lyons contribution to Brisbane and Gold Coasts lack of quality.
What ever it was they both seemed to have moved on.

That’s certainly how I remember it. But I reckon the first report was of his delisting, all the usual suspects frothed up, but their joy only lasted a few hours as the full story came out.

It wasn't even that though, he was only delisted for a split second as Brisbane picked him up immediately

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Whether they were right or not, I suspect both Adelaide and GCS got rid of him for the same reason - issues around his leg speed.

It shouldn't be a surprise Pyke didn't value him that highly - he had concerns about our leg speed the entire time he was our coach, and said so publicly.

That being said, both teams could have maybe just kept someone who showed he knew how to play the game.

Whether they were right or not, I suspect both Adelaide and GCS got rid of him for the same reason - issues around his leg speed.

It shouldn't be a surprise Pyke didn't value him that highly - he had concerns about our leg speed the entire time he was our coach, and said so publicly.

That being said, both teams could have maybe just kept someone who showed he knew how to play the game.

I doubt it was leg speed. Gold Coast delisted Lyons but decided Anthony Miles and George Horlin-Smith were worthy of list spots

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think it was cap space. They tried to low ball Lyons after he'd just had his best year and he rightly chose to bail on the club.
There were rumours that Dew was not happy that Jarryd was getting in front of himself .......or was it that his partner was getting in front of herself 🤪?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows

Hahaha - you're quoting a poster who always posts about the club ****ing up, and never has anything good to say about the club. What would be shocking would be DABM saying that the club didn't **** something up.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Still not sure why we found cap space to pay Thompson that year instead of delisting him and paying Lyons instead. Thompson then goes and "rewards" the club by coaching for Port the following year. Really smart business by the club there.

Hahaha - you're quoting a poster who always posts about the club ****ing up, and never has anything good to say about the club. What would be shocking would be DABM saying that the club didn't **** something up.
Did you ever admit to be wrong about Lyons? You spent a fair while saying you didn't think he'd make it in the AFL. Not enough x-factor to break into the side and too slow was gist of your argument irrc.

Last edited:

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Still not sure why we found cap space to pay Thompson that year instead of delisting him and paying Lyons instead. Thompson then goes and "rewards" the club by coaching for Port the following year. Really smart business by the club there.

Did you ever admit to be wrong about Lyons? You spent a fair while saying you didn't think he'd make it in the AFL. Not enough x-factor to break into the side and too slow was gist of your argument irrc.
Vader is a just a failed Mod who was right once about Petrenko, he thinks that gives him credits

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I think the initial headline and story was just about the delisting. That’s how I remember it.
Jarryd Lyons was delisted on 31st Oct with a year left on his contract, and pick up a day later on the 1st Nov as a delisted free agent by Brisbane
He was happy at GC, It has been reported that in the exit interview it was mentioned he will not be granted a spot in the best 22.
However, he was offered a 3 year deal by Brisbane with possible Coaching Development future, it's was then reported he went to GC and ask to be delisted. And as History shows us they were happy to delist him as he was not in Dew's Plans for the Future.
The bonus was his Brother was playing at Brisbane.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Given that we had a choice between him & Mrouch, I don't see any problems with the decision they made. There are only so many slow inside midfielders you can have in the team, and Lyons was surplus to requirements. Given the choice between Mrouch & Lyons, I would have chosen Mrouch back then, and I'd still choose him now.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Given that we had a choice between him & Mrouch, I don't see any problems with the decision they made. There are only so many slow inside midfielders you can have in the team, and Lyons was surplus to requirements. Given the choice between Mrouch & Lyons, I would have chosen Mrouch back then, and I'd still choose him now.
Wrong, we gave Thommo another year and Lyons would have been a better option than Douglas.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
It was the decision to trade a capable, mature bodied midfielder, in the prime of his career, for a packet of chips that I find frustrating. We sure could have used him in 2018 when everybody was injured and we were stuck playing guys like Poholke.

To be fair though, Carlton and the Suns were both equally as stupid. One of them passed up a mature bodied mid when their team was dying for a player like that, the other let him walk to a cross-town rival for literally nothing.

Wrong, we gave Thommo another year and Lyons would have been a better option than Douglas.
Thompson should never have been given that extra year. Douglas was still a decent player back then though.

Back