Good luck Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do you think you're qualified to speak for everyone else? Just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean others didn't. Jarryd was always going to be a very good midfielder, it's no surprise he'd have a season or 2 where he'd get close to AA squad selection. The issue was only ever going to be opportunity. But he was quality every time he got an opportunity. To the point that his detractors even had to make up that he wasn't capable of building his engine which is why he wasn't getting the obvious opportunities his performance deserved. Vader even posted that the sub rule gave Lyons he otherwise didn't deserve and that he'd have not played a game without it.
If you honestly can say you saw he was able to develop into how well he played at Brisbane in the 1st half of last season where they finished top 2 then congratulation, I always said he had potential as a good midfielder but never to this extent even after how well he developed at GC.

Last edited:
Well, M.Crouch went above him in the midfield peaking order and we know what M.Crouch did in 2017.

There was never really a period where M Crouch wasn't above him in the pecking order...

No, I told you I got it incorrect in the first place. My initial thought was he did leave for money but then remember some posts here saying that his girlfriend was from Brisbane and wanted to return back to her family and also Cameron stayed most of his education years in Brisbane as well.

Lol so you are just increadibly gullible rather than purposefully deceitful?

Last edited:

Showed potential of his quality but his development at GC was above what I thought he would achieved and then went to another level when he was traded to Brisbane for the 1st half of the season where he was talked as being in the AA team (there's no way anyone would have expected his progression would have reached that level).

He was already a quality player when we gave him away - no surprise he continued that.

And before you call me a hindsight hero - I said Carlton were crazy not to take him in a straight swap for Gibbs, let alone as the sweetener, because he was already a better player.

He was already a quality player when we gave him away - no surprise he continued that.

And before you call me a hindsight hero - I said Carlton were crazy not to take him in a straight swap for Gibbs, let alone as the sweetener, because he was already a better player.
I wouldn't go as far to say he was already a quality player when we traded for him (if he was GC would have gave more up for him), he was a player with potential to be a quality player which was the point I was making but he has develop into a much better than a quality player, he is one of the star midfielder at Brisbane. If he was to be trade right now, his market value would be around pick 8-10.

I wouldn't go as far to say he was already a quality player when we traded for him (if he was GC would have gave more up for him), he was a player with potential to be a quality player which was the point I was making but he has develop into a much better than a quality player, he is one of the star midfielder at Brisbane. If he was to be trade right now, his market value would be around pick 8-10.

Why would GC give up more for him? they gave up basically nothing because they knew we were pushing him out the door.

Why would GC give up more for him? they gave up basically nothing because they knew we were pushing him out the door.
A lot of quality players get "push" out the door and slightly below their value, he wasn't a quality player then so we didn't get much for him and got slightly lower for him and was probably worth a mid to late 2nd rounder.

A lot of quality players get "push" out the door and slightly below their value, he wasn't a quality player then so we didn't get much for him and got slightly lower for him at that time (was probably worth a mid to late 2nd rounder).
Slightly lower?

We got pick 43 & 67 for Lyons & pick 71.

We basically gave him away.

A lot of quality players get "push" out the door and slightly below their value, he wasn't a quality player then so we didn't get much for him and got slightly lower for him and was probably worth a mid to late 2nd rounder.

he had arguably a better season in 2016 for us than he has with Brisbane this year.

If you didn't think he was quality you clearly don't watch very closely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you honestly can say you saw he was able to develop into how well he played at Brisbane in the 1st half of last season where they finished top 2 then congratulation, I always said he had potential as a good midfielder but never to this extent even after how well he developed at GC.

In his last year for us he played 20+ games and finished 12th in b&f on average votes

we offered him $185,000 per year

Lyons is one of those that keeps improving with each year, and good on him!

I remember being disappointed that he was traded 4 years ago, but wasn’t overly negative about it because we probably done the right thing for the club as well for Lyons getting more opportunities. Back then, Lyons was more a surplus than a need with M Crouch, CEY, Grigg and Thommo all vying for a similar spot (B Crouch, Sloane and Douglas were already midfield mainstays).

After the Lyons trade, we made it to the GF, and now Lyons is probably goning to end up in one as well. One of those win-win situations rather than a trade gone wrong.

Lyons is one of those that keeps improving with each year, and good on him!

I remember being disappointed that he was traded 4 years ago, but wasn’t overly negative about it because we probably done the right thing for the club as well for Lyons getting more opportunities. Back then, Lyons was more a surplus than a need with M Crouch, CEY, Grigg and Thommo all vying for a similar spot (B Crouch, Sloane and Douglas were already midfield mainstays).

After the Lyons trade, we made it to the GF, and now Lyons is probably goning to end up in one as well. One of those win-win situations rather than a trade gone wrong.

Except for the fact that some of players he was pushed out for either didn't play in our GF or did and performed poorly. Hardly win win.

The kid was always class and even when nothing more than a fringe player for us, was still arguably our best clearance player.

Can also kick goals as a forward. Why we let him go is indicative of our selection policies in the late Sanderson/Mid Pyke era. Most games he played for us where in that weird half forward role that Jones and Schoenberg have been exiled into this year.

Except for the fact that some of players he was pushed out for either didn't play in our GF or did and performed poorly. Hardly win win.
Except for the fact that we made the GF the following year Lyons was traded off. Would we have done any better if Lyons was still around in 2017? Might we have missed the GF altogether if he was still around then?

Anyone can sound like a genius looking in hindsight. The fact of the matter, nobody was banging on this thread about missing Lyons when we were flying in 2017.

Except for the fact that we made the GF the following year Lyons was traded off. Would we have done any better if Lyons was still around in 2017? Might we have missed the GF altogether if he was still around then?

Anyone can sound like a genius looking in hindsight. The fact of the matter, nobody was banging on this thread about missing Lyons when we were flying in 2017.

1)how would we have done worse with Lyons in 2017? It's not like the pick we got for him made any contribution in 2017
2)actually that is patently untrue that no-one was banging on about it. Go back and actually read the posts in this thread for 2017 and there were a few of us very strong on how much of a mistake we'd made with Lyons.

If anyone can sound like a genius in hindsight, what is your excuse?

wrong again John

1)how would we have done worse with Lyons in 2017? It's not like the pick we got for him made any contribution in 2017
2)actually that is patently untrue that no-one was banging on about it. Go back and actually read the posts in this thread for 2017 and there were a few of us very strong on how much of a mistake we'd made with Lyons.
1. A team of champs doesn't imply a champion team. He might have made the 2017 become better, but might not. On the flipside, if he stayed with us in 2017 there's no guarantee he'd improved as much as now, as his AFL games may have been less if staying with us, and too many vying for his spot over here.

2. Ok I went back and checked it out. Yep, there were a few people banging on this thread...up until mid-2017. Then it went silent for nearly a whole year until mid2018. So much for the banging on..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back