Good luck Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Well his Dad helped put us in a real mess and now son about to stuff up too .
I thought the Menzel and Hampton trades were bad , well nothing on this one and bet if get Gibbs we are getting screwed more.

To those of you who say we were always getting unders once he nominated a club, that may be true, but why then did we give more for players like Hampton and Seedsman (who nominated us) than we got for Lyons, who is the more accomplished player at the moment?

I hate to say it, but it's so abundantly clear that we are useless traders. Until this sort of crap stops, people will continue to be negative about our club.

By all reports, we forced him into nominating a club when he wanted to stay. How can the PSD be leverage when he's not even hell bent on leaving? No excuses for this trade, Gold Coast have a tonne of second round picks and the only reason they wouldn't part with them is greed. It's as bad and as pointless as Geelong moving on Caddy.

He made the cardinal sin of making Thommo, Dougy and Mackay look bad. No room for that sort of grandstanding here.

When Thommo returned from his rest against the Saints and M Crouch had made himself undroppable, I couldn't be convinced that the selection dagger wasn't hanging over Lyons. Vader had him going out constantly while correcting our midfield mix and looking to cement his fabled 22 in stone. I disagree with him a lot, but not on that. I don't think we wanted that many insiders, but Lyons form never deteriorated and they couldn't repeat the earlier error and drop him. And courtesy of tenure, neither Dougie or Thommo could be dropped, so we marched ahead forced to play him, but preferring not to.

His paltry contract increase was based on the selectors still seeing him as a fringe mid and nothing more. In that sense, the trade itself is always what I expected we deserved, a smidgin more of anything. What I disagree with most is the consistent underating of him as an effective footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think getting 43 is all about getting us before Hawthorn (48) so that we can bid for Ben Jarman.

Won't make much difference. If Jarman nominates Hawthorn and we bid at 43, 48 will be enough from the Hawks.

It will help if he doesn't nominate and we want to draft him

Man.... we gave up Lyons for very little. Typical. Lyons definitely wanted to stay as he's said many times. Good luck to him at GC as I think he'll be a star there.

What a joke. We will never win a premiership with a bunch of incompetents running the show. How in * did we lose Lyons and not have a replacement in tha bag lined up.

******* useless club. Shocking decision to undervalue Lyons. Next year is already cause for worry. Need a clear out of our decision makers in management.

Wish him all the best. It's not his fault we low-balled our offer on him and ended up losing him for nothing.
I'm going to miss our guaranteed goal from him every week.

He would of been surplus to requirements next year. His value was high now.
So you think 43 is high value for Lyons????? Mmmm Nicholas Joyce was 46 for us. Yep you are correct of course. 46 for Riley Knight. 41 for Mitch Grigg who is loved by so many posters..Will be interesting to see what that pick gets us. If Ben Jarman was in their thoughts you would hope that nhe has secretly indicated to them that he prefers Crows to Hawks or they have shafted Lyons for nothing !

I 100% wish Lyons all the best,. He has tried really hard for the crows,. And deserves consistent first team footy.. for that deal you’ve landed yourself a bargain GC. I would have liked to keep him in a way,. But wish him all the best.. good servant of the club, who waited patiently for his chances… He will be in GC top 10 B&F next year,. Lock that in..

Reidy is starting to make even Nobes look competent.

Chip of the old block.

I don't think Lyons is Reidy's issue. Surely the list manager is led by the selection group when determining a players value. If he was told Lyons was a must keep, certain best 22, then his contract offer would reflect that. Reid doesn't pick the midfield, he squeezes the coaches ratings into the salary cap. The offer put to Lyons was based on the rating of the coaches, not the list manager. From there, they've pissed off the player and ensured he'd be leaving and choosing his preferred option with an, "I'll be looking after myself, thank you" attitude. From there, we were always going to be accepting whatever was offerred. That's on the coaches, not Reid. The issues were that Lyons was criminally underrated and if we'd thought we'd 'sell high', we went the entirely wrong way about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back